Windows 10: Saving to Desktop is hit or miss

Discus and support Saving to Desktop is hit or miss in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a problem that manifests on both my work laptop (Lenovo T450, an oldie) and my new high-end Dell desktop (Dell XPS 8920). I'll save to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by margrave55, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Saving to Desktop is hit or miss

I have a problem that manifests on both my work laptop (Lenovo T450, an oldie) and my new high-end Dell desktop (Dell XPS 8920).

I'll save to Desktop a file (from Excel, or an email attachment). Or I'll save a download to Desktop from a web browser (usually Firefox, sometimes IE).

Sometimes the file will save, but VERY SLOWLY, even if it's a tiny file. The app is unresponsive until the errant save has completed. I'll have this problem for a while, and then at some random later date it will go away ... and then come back later. Other times it's fast. I get this only on the laptop.

Sometimes the saved file is empty/0 bytes when saving from the browser ... and the browser Downloads panel says "failed". (Saving instead to the Downloads folder works fine. Always, I think.)

Sometimes the file saves but I have no permission to access it. I have to change its properties (take ownership and grant full access).

And sometimes it all works fine without intervention.

It's more frequent on the work laptop. My IT guy at work says that Windows 10 has problems saving to Desktop, but he does not know why (or does not say why).

I never saw this behavior on Windows 7.

:)

margrave55, Aug 7, 2017
  2. noknok63 Win User

Internet connection (non-Wi-Fi) is very hit-and-miss on my Nokia E63

Hello, this is my first post on the Nokia website and I hope someone can please help.

I bought a Nokia E63 yesterday and am using it with the Virgin network. I have had internet settings sent to me by Virgin, and I also use the auto-sync for emails. The emails are fine... but I am having such difficulty browsing the web. Sometimes it says
    "timeout", other times it says "no entry to gateway" and other times it is so fast it's brilliant. By the way, I am looking at websites like Sky News, BBC, etc., so they are not obscure or anything. But the hit-and-miss nature of connectivity is puzzling.
    I bought the Nokia E63 as I have to keep up to date with websites while I am travelling for business, so it's one of the main reasons for having purchased it. I haven't even got around to the Wi-Fi connectivity yet, am purely using "connect via Virgin Enhanced"
    and "connect via Virgin GPRS", both of which are hit-and-miss. Is there any way I can change the timeout settings on the phone, or is this a problem with Virgin network settings? I hope I have provided enough details in order to receive some advice from someone
    on the Forum.

Thanks for reading,

noknok63, Aug 7, 2017
  3. Internet connection (non-Wi-Fi) is very hit-and-miss on my Nokia E63

i had this problem really bad with my new e63..im on sky..and neither nokia or sky could resolve the issue.

My wifi connection worked at uni and my cuosins..but not at home..so i dont know what was going on.. so just today i randomly decided to compre the router settings rather than the phone settings.. turned out uni had an open network, my cousins had a wep
    and i had a wpa-psk security type.

i changed this to wep and it started working fine! finally..im so happy..i thaught id post this..coz i know it was a HUGE let down..

so yh..myt not be your exact issue..but i used to be able to get to a site as soon as i connected..then about 2 seconds in - still connected but all i got was no gateway reply errors

jawad1---01, Aug 7, 2017
  4. Saving to Desktop is hit or miss

I use desktop as a downloads folder without problems on multiple computers. I remember that issue, when 0KB takes like 5-10 seconds to copy, it is not just desktop related. Default Windows 10 config is slow. I can not really say, which settings are the cause, there are tons of them, like a network discovery.

You might try some explorer related tweaks for starters, like:

Code: reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "DesktopProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "SeparateProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "SharingWizardOn" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\OperationStatusManager" /v "ConfirmationCheckBoxDoForAll" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\OperationStatusManager" /v "EnthusiastMode" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "ShowSyncProviderNotifications" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f[/quote]
    In case of permissions problems try this.
    Code: takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%SystemDrive%\Users\Public\Desktop" /r /d y icacls "%SystemDrive%\Users\Public\Desktop" /inheritance:r /grant:r %username%Saving to Desktop is hit or miss :(OI)(CI)F /t /l /q /c takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop" /r /d y icacls "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop" /inheritance:r /grant:r %username%Saving to Desktop is hit or miss :(OI)(CI)F /t /l /q /c[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Aug 8, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    So you did an in-place upgrade from 7 to 10? This method seems to cause so many issues for users. I always tell people who have done this upgrade to do a clean format install if they possibly can afterwards to mitigate these types of issues. I know its drastic, but you'l be pleased with the end result.

swarfega, Aug 8, 2017
  6. No, neither of the computers is a Win 7 upgrade.

margrave55, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Saving to Desktop is hit or miss

1. Saving to Desktop is hit or miss - Similar Threads - Saving Desktop hit

2. Missing Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing Desktop: Hi community. I hope I provide enough information to resolve my dilemma. So my computer originally came installed with Windows 10, a 500 GB SSD drive as primary and 1 TB SATA HD for storage . I was running out of space on both of them so I purchased a 2 TB SSD drive to use as...
  3. Got Hit by "Avanish" malware, missed by W10 security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Got Hit by "Avanish" malware, missed by W10 security: In the past some folks came hard on me for pointing out the deadly security ineffectiveness of W10. Here is a proof. A malware by the name "Avinash" brought the speed of my PC to a crawl WINDOWS SECURITY ran twice and declared the system sound safe. I was not satisfied so...
  4. Missing Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing Desktop: Following a power cut I cannot get my desktop back The message shown comes up [ATTACH] and I get a black screen with a non-responsive start button. I have limited navigability through hidden icons via "open devices and printers" Any ideas?...
  5. Desktop is missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop is missing: Desktop is not visible or accessible from any Explorer window. 117756
  6. Saved Remote Desktop Profiles are missing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saved Remote Desktop Profiles are missing.: I just upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I was able to use CiscoConnect to connect to my workplace VPN but my Remote Desktop login information is missing. Is there a way to restore of find the IP, etc.? Thanks ~Tracy 24652
  7. Prevent "save to desktop" in "Save as" box

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Prevent "save to desktop" in "Save as" box: Hi, How do I prevent staff from saving files to desktop? 96569
  8. Desktop missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop missing: Installed win10 a few days ago. After install the desktop would flicker for a minute or 2 and then disappear. Now after restart no desktop at all. Windows says graphics card (drivers15.200.1045.1) were updated during install. 13785
  9. Windows 10 after one month: Hits and misses

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 after one month: Hits and misses: So what's the story, a month after the big launch? A surprising amount of sound and fury, especially for a midsummer release. In this post, I call out some of the hits and misses, with the caveat that this is all going to continue changing very quickly in the coming months....
  10. Boot up hit and miss!

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot up hit and miss!: Over the last couple of weeks my boot up has been very hit and miss, when it misses I get the message, 'Reboot and select proper boot device', I switch off and after a couple of tries all works fine. When I look in the Boot Option, 1st Boot Device is 'Windows Boot...