Windows 10: scam but questions

Discus and support scam but questions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just received a phone call from someone with a thick eastern European accent stating he was from Windows 10 and that I had a problem with my computer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by arnnad, Apr 5, 2016.

1. arnnad Win User

scam but questions

Just received a phone call from someone with a thick eastern European accent stating he was from Windows 10 and that I had a problem with my computer, running slow, etc. He had my correct address. After asking me to run something that brought up the event viewer he asked me the number, which was almost 50K of new events. He then transferred me to a "senior technician", with a similar accent, who had me go to a site which would have given him remote control.

Ironically, I had just been reading about IRS scams so when he wanted to gain control of my computer the light dawned.
    I've seen similar stories, except the scammers had Indian accents, thanks to the global economy.

Anyway, my question is about the large number of daily events. These are mostly warnings, with scattered errors. Seeing this certainly made me vulnerable to the scammer but does this indicate a problem or is it typical for Windows 10?
    I should add the pc had crashed about daily, after installing Win10, but no longer in the past month.

Thanks for your help

:)

arnnad, Apr 5, 2016

2. Scam question

I clicked through a link from what I thought to be a reputable organization (a national one that should have linked me to a smaller district), but suddenly a pop-up appeared and my computer started talking, saying that I had been infected by malware and
    at this moment it was downloading credit cards and Facebook information. There was a logo that appeared to be Microsoft Edge in the background, a case number and a phone number. The voice warned me not to shutdown, but call the number so "the company" could
    walk me through correcting the problem. Instead, I closed the window and then shut my computer down. I assume that it was a scam attempt and the district abandon the website without notifying the national office. I'll check that later. But I'm new to Edge.
    It really doesn't start conversations does it.

YvonnePool, Apr 5, 2016
  3. José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Apr 5, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

scam but questions

.....................is it typical for Windows 10?...................

This type of scam has been in existence for ages.
    it is not a Windows 10 phenomenon.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2016
  5. arnnad Win User
    Thanks. I see that. However, I would like any information on how to interpret the event viewer and it's large number of entries.

arnnad, Apr 5, 2016
  6. Windows produces a lot of "routine" event records - services starting / services stopping / etc., that can be ignored. That was true in Win7 and is true in Win10. For others, you can Google the event id and see if there is anything to worry about. But you will be doing a lot of Googling. I don't know if this is true of all people, but I get many events a day that look serious, but aren't.

Actually, it would be nice if there were a "What's this event id mean?" subforum on this forum. I would probably wear it out.

pokeefe0001, Apr 5, 2016
  7. VBS
    VBs Win User
    First of all "calling from Windows 10" should be tell tale sing that it's scam. are they using windows 10 to call you or is their company called "windows 10"? that would be strange. Any legit tech support, would never call you without your request and they shouldn't know that you having errors or slowdowns.

Event viewer can be used by experienced users to help troubleshoot some windows problems (you should have problems before troubleshooting, if it's not broken don't fix it) but mostly can be ignored by average users.
    It's just scare scam "look at those red error and yellow exclamation marks" but in reality they usually mean nothing serious and are normal for even clean install.

8. arnnad Win User

scam but questions

Thanks for the feedback. Also good to know how the scam artists scare people.

arnnad, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

scam but questions

1. scam but questions - Similar Threads - scam questions

2. Scam verification

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scam verification: I googled Microsoft support and got this nember to calI. Someone answered right away. My internet was down - only on this computer. He went through some steps, but I was concerned it was a scam. Is 877-747-8231 a legitimate support phone number?...
  3. Scam verification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scam verification: I googled Microsoft support and got this nember to calI. Someone answered right away. My internet was down - only on this computer. He went through some steps, but I was concerned it was a scam. Is 877-747-8231 a legitimate support phone number?...
  4. I fell for the scam now I'm worried they have everything on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I fell for the scam now I'm worried they have everything on my computer: I fell for their scam now I'm afraid they have access to everything on my computer how do I know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-fell-for-the-scam-now-im-worried-they-have/b6e83e26-3ee1-44d6-b962-692df50c636e
  5. scam bill question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    scam bill question: I received this todayWas this from MicrosoftThank you for your purchase through Microsoft. Here is an overview of your recent purchase:Invoiced to:Email : *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Details:Payment Method: 6654227Invoice ID: MS-5625-90191Invoice Date: 19 May...
  6. This isn't really a question but I got the Window Defender Subscribtion Scam email also.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    This isn't really a question but I got the Window Defender Subscribtion Scam email also.: The Email address they are using are <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> and <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> If these addresses are legit I would look into if they were hacked other wise you might be able to track who ever sending them with those...
  7. scam responses to questions posted in MS Community

scam responses to questions posted in MS Community: I posted a question in this forum. I received an email response to call ****. I called and they wanted to charge me for "updating" my system--the person I spoke with claimed to be from MS. In retrospect the problem I noted couldn't have been windows related, it was a...
  8. Question about possible scam

Question about possible scam: I have been contact by a company that claims I have been using there software for the past two years with a electronic signed contract(emailed me proof)I have looked for this software on my computer and cannot find it anywhere. The company is called US Info Solutions (***...
  9. Fraud alert - DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY EMAILS IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ON THIS SITE. Scammed me.

Fraud alert - DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY EMAILS IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ON THIS SITE. Scammed me.: Microsoft Community (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***)To:you Details [ATTACH] Microsoft Community Your question has a reply Hi Anne Marie Kearns, Tim Lar5 has replied to your question WIndows Photo Gallery in Microsoft Community. Thank You For Posting in...
  10. Fraud alert - DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY EMAILS IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ON THIS SITE. Scammed me.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fraud alert - DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY EMAILS IF YOU ASK A QUESTION ON THIS SITE. Scammed me.: Microsoft Community (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***)To:you Details [ATTACH] Microsoft Community Your question has a reply Hi Anne Marie Kearns, Tim Lar5 has replied to your question WIndows Photo Gallery in Microsoft Community. Thank You For Posting in...