Windows 10: Scam using Microsoft name?

Discus and support Scam using Microsoft name? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I received a call from a UK geographic number (01202 680708) claiming that my computer had security issues and that Microsoft wanted to check my PC and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AnneMason2, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Scam using Microsoft name?

I received a call from a UK geographic number (01202 680708) claiming that my computer had security issues and that Microsoft wanted to check my PC and show me how to fix the issues by sending an upgrade.

When I said I wasn't going to do that he said I was right to be wary but gave me his name and Microsoft enrolment number (Richard Williams, 8600051) and said he could tell me my PCs Unique Computer Licence ID, which he claimed only Microsoft would have. He arranged to phone back at 3pm but I blocked the telephone number as soon as we had finished the call.

I am fairly sure that this is a scam and have treated it as such but please advise.

:)

AnneMason2, Aug 10, 2018
  2. quietman7 - MVP, Aug 10, 2018
  3. Sharief K Win User
    Possible scam?

Hi Thomas,

I can understand the situation you are going through. To help you further, we need the following information.

• Which Microsoft website have you visited?
    • What is the phone number that you have contacted?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to refer to the links for more information on possible scams.

Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/msname.aspx

HOW TO: Report the Microsoft phone scam

HOW TO: Report the Microsoft phone scam

@ bhringer, thank you for bringing this to our notice.

Please get back to us with the above information.

Sharief K, Aug 10, 2018
  4. Scam using Microsoft name?

Fraudulent use of Microsoft name and Logo

If you want you can report it to Microsoft here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/reportascam

Suggestion to read:

In case you keep on getting these fake alerts:

Follow the steps provided here: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)

And you might want to watch:

Fake Tech Support Scams – video from the MS Digital Crimes Unit

Jsssssssss, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

Scam using Microsoft name?

1. Scam using Microsoft name? - Similar Threads - Scam using Microsoft

2. Is this a Microsoft Scam?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this a Microsoft Scam?: I got this email a little while ago... is this a scam?Microsoft accountSecurity alertWe think that someone else might have accessed the Microsoft account wy***** Email address is removed for privacy ***. When this happens, we require you to verify your identity with a...
  3. Is this a microsoft scam

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is this a microsoft scam: I received a call supposedly microsoft in Reading advising me my pc was being hacked and my details used by foreign nationals. microsoft were trying to prevent my information and their systems bring compromised. She was quite insistent I should go on my pc immediately and she...
  4. Is this a microsoft scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this a microsoft scam: I received a call supposedly microsoft in Reading advising me my pc was being hacked and my details used by foreign nationals. microsoft were trying to prevent my information and their systems bring compromised. She was quite insistent I should go on my pc immediately and she...
  5. Is this a microsoft scam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Scam using Microsoft and Bank of America

Scam using Microsoft and Bank of America: I have a customer in my tax preparation business who is 71 and called to say they lost their life savings six figures through a scam. The client, like most people that get scammed, is embarrassed and is reluctant to discuss. The scheme went along these lines. They got a call...
  7. A Microsoft Scam

A Microsoft Scam: Last night I mistakenly downloaded a remotely monitoring executable file to my hard drive by a scam pretending to be from Microsoft. This morning I was able to remove it from my laptop, and to scan my hard drive by Microsoft security. Is my computer safe to this malware...
  8. Microsoft scamming

Microsoft scamming: OKAY, so I ask a question on Microsoft answers and a reply I get is a scammer wanting me to call a number. So lucky for me I checked before I called or ELSE. However the bottom line is unfortunately I cannot trust the replies I get supposedly from Microsoft 'helpers'. I am...
  9. microsoft scam

microsoft scam: i was fooled into letting a caller get accsess to my laptop by saying it was being hacked.consequently rang microsoft to fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-scam/785c1762-d4d8-4951-a8fa-1592007780a3"
  10. Microsoft Scam

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Scam: I keep getting a full page of Ibelive Fake Microsoft Scam with a phone number to call how can I get rid of it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/microsoft-scam/20aa506e-23f9-4e89-b37a-468d4e4d7ece

Users found this page by searching for:

1. scam using microsoft name

2. scams using windows

3. scams using microsoft name

4. fraud using microsoft name,
  5. scams in microsoft name