Scam using Microsoft name?

Discus and support Scam using Microsoft name? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I received a call from a UK geographic number (01202 680708) claiming that my computer had security issues and that Microsoft wanted to check my PC and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AnneMason2, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:12 AM.

1. AnneMason2 Win User

I received a call from a UK geographic number (01202 680708) claiming that my computer had security issues and that Microsoft wanted to check my PC and show me how to fix the issues by sending an upgrade.

When I said I wasn't going to do that he said I was right to be wary but gave me his name and Microsoft enrolment number (Richard Williams, 8600051) and said he could tell me my PCs Unique Computer Licence ID, which he claimed only Microsoft would have. He arranged to phone back at 3pm but I blocked the telephone number as soon as we had finished the call.

I am fairly sure that this is a scam and have treated it as such but please advise.

:)

2. quietman7 - MVP Win User
    quietman7 - MVP, Aug 10, 2018 at 10:43 AM
  3. Sharief K Win User
    Possible scam?

Hi Thomas,

I can understand the situation you are going through. To help you further, we need the following information.

• Which Microsoft website have you visited?
    • What is the phone number that you have contacted?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to refer to the links for more information on possible scams.

Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/msname.aspx

HOW TO: Report the Microsoft phone scam

HOW TO: Report the Microsoft phone scam

@ bhringer, thank you for bringing this to our notice.

Please get back to us with the above information.

4. Jsssssssss Win User

Fraudulent use of Microsoft name and Logo

If you want you can report it to Microsoft here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/reportascam

Suggestion to read:

In case you keep on getting these fake alerts:

Follow the steps provided here: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)

And you might want to watch:

Fake Tech Support Scams – video from the MS Digital Crimes Unit

Thema:

1. Scam using Microsoft name? - Similar Threads - Scam using Microsoft

2. microsoft Edge Critical Error! screen poped up told to call 866 393 7989

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    microsoft Edge Critical Error! screen poped up told to call 866 393 7989: Microsoft Edge Critical Error screen (red in color. wanting my user name and password, gave the tel number 866 393 7989. called and they would not say they were Microsoft only another company to fix issue. meantime I can't do to much....
  3. Microsoft reveals more details of Windows Core OS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft reveals more details of Windows Core OS: Microsoft's long rumored dual-screen Andromeda phone may never see the light of day, but the related "Windows Core OS" project or WCOS, is still underway, and according to a job vacancy posted on LinkedIn, it's all about Windows 10 devices and drivers. The vacancy for a...
  4. Reset Microsoft account email and password ...... (No access to old info)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reset Microsoft account email and password ...... (No access to old info): Microsoft account issues I do not have access to any of the old info .. that IP is closed and not accessible any longer....
  5. Microsoft Store for Windows 10 is getting the new “cart” option

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Store for Windows 10 is getting the new “cart” option: Microsoft last year updated the Microsoft Store with the feature to shop Surface hardware and accessories. The Surface hardware category in the Microsoft Store is currently only available for U.S and U.K. Microsoft is always looking to improve the store experience in Windows...
  6. What is the problem with Microsoft?

What is the problem with Microsoft?: The more Office, Windows version makes everything so difficult to use? The Office is hide feature, change location feature... Ex: can't preview when click to preview button in Excel 2016? In a nice day, My file is harmful with excel? What do you want me to do next... Why I...
  7. Deactivate Windows 10 Pro on HDD, use key to upgrade new PC license from Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deactivate Windows 10 Pro on HDD, use key to upgrade new PC license from Windows 10 Home: I bought a new PC with a Windows 10 Home OEM license. My old PC died, but it had a transferrable Windows 10 Pro license whose product key I had printed out before it died. Both Windows copies are linked to my Microsoft account. I would like to upgrade my new PC to Windows...
  8. How to use your hard drive as RAM in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to use your hard drive as RAM in Windows 10: Windows 10 has a feature that allows part of your hard drive to work the same way that RAM(Random Access Memory) does. Known as virtual memory, it is important to system stability and can help improve your computer’s performance when properly configured. Before covering how...
  9. How do I change the font size of the names under my desktop icons?

How do I change the font size of the names under my desktop icons?: How do I change the font size of the names under my desktop icons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/how-do-i-change-the-font-size-of-the-names-under/50291850-7360-442b-9191-cbd59aa3e445
  10. Install Windows 10 on UEFI mode using Linux PXE server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 on UEFI mode using Linux PXE server: Hi, I need to install Windows 10 on my client machine in UEFI mode using Linux PXE server. Can anyone please provide me some insights for the same. I am able to perform the same in UEFI mode exactly the same way as shown in the given link: Install Windows 7’ over ‘PXE...