Windows 10: Scam using Microsoft name?

Discus and support Scam using Microsoft name? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I received a call from a UK geographic number (01202 680708) claiming that my computer had security issues and that Microsoft wanted to check my PC and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AnneMason2, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Scam using Microsoft name?

I received a call from a UK geographic number (01202 680708) claiming that my computer had security issues and that Microsoft wanted to check my PC and show me how to fix the issues by sending an upgrade.

When I said I wasn't going to do that he said I was right to be wary but gave me his name and Microsoft enrolment number (Richard Williams, 8600051) and said he could tell me my PCs Unique Computer Licence ID, which he claimed only Microsoft would have. He arranged to phone back at 3pm but I blocked the telephone number as soon as we had finished the call.

I am fairly sure that this is a scam and have treated it as such but please advise.

:)

AnneMason2, Aug 10, 2018
  2. quietman7 - MVP, Aug 10, 2018
  3. Sharief K Win User
    Possible scam?

Hi Thomas,

I can understand the situation you are going through. To help you further, we need the following information.

• Which Microsoft website have you visited?
    • What is the phone number that you have contacted?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to refer to the links for more information on possible scams.

Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/msname.aspx

HOW TO: Report the Microsoft phone scam

HOW TO: Report the Microsoft phone scam

@ bhringer, thank you for bringing this to our notice.

Please get back to us with the above information.

Sharief K, Aug 10, 2018
  4. Scam using Microsoft name?

Fraudulent use of Microsoft name and Logo

If you want you can report it to Microsoft here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/reportascam

Suggestion to read:

In case you keep on getting these fake alerts:

Follow the steps provided here: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)

And you might want to watch:

Fake Tech Support Scams – video from the MS Digital Crimes Unit

Jsssssssss, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

Scam using Microsoft name?

1. Scam using Microsoft name? - Similar Threads - Scam using Microsoft

2. Microsoft Hacking Scam!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Hacking Scam!: I made a big mistake! My daughter calls me over saying her computer is being hacked. It showed a message claiming to be from Microsoft saying a virus is on her computer and to call the Microsoft Support number on the screen. I call the number, a woman with an Indian accent...
  3. Possible scammers using Microsoft name

Possible scammers using Microsoft name: Does Microsoft have anything to do with a company or group calling themselves Premium Network Services or Network Technologies? They operate from somewhere in Asia and operate under the name Team Microsoft....
  4. Scam Calls Claiming To Be From Microsoft

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Scam Calls Claiming To Be From Microsoft: I have gotten several calls, from an individual with a foreign accent, regarding "issues" with my Windows, and of course have hung up on theses calls. Today, I received a different approach: "I am calling from Microsoft (foreign accent). The company that fixed your computer...
  5. Re: Microsoft Telephone Scam

Re: Microsoft Telephone Scam: Recently, I received a telephone call from someone telling me that "Microsoft was ordered to close its technical services and I have paid for the services and was due a refund. I called the telephone number provided in the message. The caller was from PAKISTAN AND ASKED ME...
  6. Microsoft Security Scam?

Microsoft Security Scam?: Received msg last week on computer: "From Microsoft Security: unless you call this 800, computer will be shut down. I didn't call, but computer was shut down and is still shut down" Is this legitimate? What should I do?...
  7. Microsoft Scam

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Scam: I keep getting a full page of Ibelive Fake Microsoft Scam with a phone number to call how can I get rid of it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/microsoft-scam/20aa506e-23f9-4e89-b37a-468d4e4d7ece
  8. Microsoft Warning scam

Microsoft Warning scam: So I started my laptop today and I was gonna watch youtube so I turned on the volume and I am hearing about a spyware and the possibility of my laptop being disabled, so I looked into it and found out about the scam. I hear what I've read the warnings say but i dont get any...
  9. Is the "Microsoft Rewards" program a scam?

Is the "Microsoft Rewards" program a scam?: I see enough evidence that makes me seriously question its validity. Aside from having a real cheapening effect on the Microsoft name itself, I also see strange errors that prevent me from checking it out. The latest being a strange misspelling in the subject line of an...
  10. Microsoft Security Scam

Microsoft Security Scam: This annoying pop-up happens twice a day and freezes my computer. Doesn't Windows Defender prevent this? I reset my settings to default and that did not help....