Windows 10: Scan and Fix It Made it Worse. How to Undo?

Discus and support Scan and Fix It Made it Worse. How to Undo? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I connected a micro SD via USB to my win10 computer and it said there was a problem with the drive - scan and fix it? And I stupidly said 'yes' upon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, May 7, 2017.

1. abrogard Win User

Scan and Fix It Made it Worse. How to Undo?

I connected a micro SD via USB to my win10 computer and it said there was a problem with the drive - scan and fix it?

And I stupidly said 'yes' upon which it proceeded to destroy something like 300 images or more.

Since then I put another one in and got the same message. This time I did not say 'yes'. I took a look instead and everything is fine. The pics on that one are there and readable and copyable. Nothing wrong.

Is there any chance of getting back these destroyed images? Would it have been an index it destroyed rather than the files?

And would the advice be to shun using this 'scan and fix it' thing?

:)

abrogard, May 7, 2017

2. Tried to fix my computer and made it worse!

We could guess that you are in the Lock Screen state. In that state we can not get into the Project dialog, e.g. press Win-P but we can apparently start Narrator, press Win-Enter. It used to be that doing anything such as the downward press on the Win-
    key would be sufficient to switch from Lock Screen state to Login Screen state. Not any more apparently. So we just need to find a new recipe for navigating in the dark. In early days on W8 that sometimes meant having to press Shift-Tab and Shift-Space
    in a loop. Things seem to be improving slightly. In fact, it looks like that simple loop is not available to us any more either. The Shut down button menu gets entered at the top of the list and does not wrap. How helpful. Obviously it would help to have
    a second machine to use as a simulator as you would try such workarounds.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, May 7, 2017
  3. Tried to fix my computer and made it worse!

Hi Robert

I'm honestly not sure what you're on about. I dont know what you meant at all. Have you got any ideas on how to get the ISO USB to boot properly?

Thanks

Oliver Horton, May 7, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

You can try the free version of Minitool Power Data Recovery. As long as you have less than 1 GB of data to recover you might be able to get it all using that tool. But recovery is always a crapshoot and/or hit-or-miss, so while you may get some of your images back, you may not get them all.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 7, 2017
  5. abrogard Win User
    Hmm. Thanks for that. Unfortunately it doesn't see the USB drive.

*Smile

I wonder what's wrong with Windows that it claims a drive has problems at the same time as displaying everything on it correctly and using it as normal?

And then I wonder what it does to 'fix' the drive that loses all our data?

To whom could one ask these questions? Microsoft I guess. Do they have open avenue for that or the task of interfacing with 4 billion people on the planet forces them to choke it off?

abrogard, May 8, 2017
  6. thekelt Win User
    Are you familiar with Piriform's Recuva software, or Macecraft jv16 Powertools? Recuva has a free version and pretty good, if it can read the drive. If you can see the drive in Explorer then it should work if there is anything to recover. jv16 has a fully functional free trail up to 60 days. I haven't used their file recover option but overall is a super toolbox if you know what you are doing. You can subscribe for as low as $22.95/year if you like it.

thekelt, May 8, 2017
  7. abrogard Win User
    I have Recuva. It couldn't see the drive.

*Sad

abrogard, May 8, 2017
  8. thekelt Win User

In that case, it seems the fat table has been destroyed. The pics might still be on the disk and be recoverable but will need expert attention. Does the drive show up at all as a drive letter? Might need some good partitioning software like Paragon to look at it and see if there are any possibilities.

thekelt, May 8, 2017
  9. abrogard Win User
    Yes. I've got hex workshop. I'll see what I can do with it.

abrogard, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Scan and Fix It Made it Worse. How to Undo? - Similar Threads - Scan Fix Made

2. I tried to fix slow downloads and made everything worse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I tried to fix slow downloads and made everything worse: I've been seeing really slow upload speeds on my desktop, around 1-2 Mbps. Its connected by Ethernet directly to my Xfinity router. All the other devices work amazing and as expected. I did a bunch of random fixes to see if I could boost it. I didn't boost my upload, but I...
  3. I tried to fix slow downloads and made everything worse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I tried to fix slow downloads and made everything worse: I've been seeing really slow upload speeds on my desktop, around 1-2 Mbps. Its connected by Ethernet directly to my Xfinity router. All the other devices work amazing and as expected. I did a bunch of random fixes to see if I could boost it. I didn't boost my upload, but I...
  4. I tried to fix slow downloads and made everything worse

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to fix Attempting to recover installation undoing changes made to your computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to fix Attempting to recover installation undoing changes made to your computer?: I was using pc a message appeared to update the windows after the update when I restart my PC start displaying attempting to recover installation undoing changes made to your computer. I have installation media of windows 10 and also done the primary steps to fix it but it...
  6. How to fix Attempting to recover installation undoing changes made to your computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix Attempting to recover installation undoing changes made to your computer?: I was using pc a message appeared to update the windows after the update when I restart my PC start displaying attempting to recover installation undoing changes made to your computer. I have installation media of windows 10 and also done the primary steps to fix it but it...
  7. How to fix Attempting to recover installation undoing changes made to your computer?

8. CHKDSK Made HDD Problem Worse

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK Made HDD Problem Worse: Windows 10 figured out that volume D: is dirty so CHKDSK occurs every startup but it can't fix the volume and everytime the fixing process get slower until I can't have patience on more than a day chkdsk estimated time allocation ETA.It started probably on a Windows 10 update...
  9. How to undo a hotkey made with AutoHotkey

How to undo a hotkey made with AutoHotkey: I downloaded & installed AutoHotKey Unicode 64-bit. I tried to use the basic tutorial & copied their beginner script: ^l:: Send, My First Script return (I used small L in place of j). However, now I want to unassign that key & can't. Even if I delete the script, every time...
  10. Undoing changes made

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Undoing changes made: Windows 10 Updates again mesed up my PC. When rebooting it, it goes into loop and keeps showing a sign "Undoing changes made to your computer.." How do I even get PC rebooted and restart it now? How do I get rid of all these unwanted changes and how do I set up Windows...