Windows 10: 'Scan' App Doesn't Find Scanner When I Move Networks

Discus and support 'Scan' App Doesn't Find Scanner When I Move Networks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I shuttle my Win 10 SP4 between two Wi-Fi networks. On one, I have an HP Envy 5540 MFC and on the other an HP OfficeJet 4650 MFC. When I launch... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rjbinney, Dec 10, 2017.

1. rjbinney Win User

'Scan' App Doesn't Find Scanner When I Move Networks

I shuttle my Win 10 SP4 between two Wi-Fi networks. On one, I have an HP Envy 5540 MFC and on the other an HP OfficeJet 4650 MFC.

When I launch Windows' built-in Scan app, it inevitably shows it's trying to communicate with the OTHER HP. I get the little blue swirling dots showing it's trying to connect, but of course, it won't - because I'm hundreds of miles away, trying to connect to THIS HP.

There is a drop-down arrow next to the scanner name, but when I click it, nothing drops down.

It doesn't seem to matter which is my default printer.

The only solution I've found is to uninstall both HPs and reinstall only the one on my current network - which isn't practical.

Yes, HP has its own scanning software, but it's proprietary to each printer (so I need two different applications), it's bloated, and it pushes advertising down my throat.

How do I get the Scan app to select the appropriate scanner?

:)

rjbinney, Dec 10, 2017
  2. E for Excel, Dec 10, 2017
  3. Windows Scan App Doesn't Find Scanner

I connect to an HP 4650 MFC on an office wireless network, and an HP 5540 MFC on my
    home wireless network.

I am at home trying to use the Windows Scan app. It will only attempt to connect to the 4650 - the
    office scanner, even though I am at home.

The drop-down box does not drop to another option.

I have "Let Windows manage my default printer" checked.

I have run the troubleshooter and rebooted.

When I go to Printers and Scanners=>HP 5540=>Manage, I get a drop-down under "This device has a few different functions." If I drop it down and select "Scanner: HPB9EA7F (HP Envy 5540 Series", there is a button labeled "Open Scanner". When I click
    on that, it re-opens the Windows Scan app, which only shows the (office) 4650.

The little blue "I'm thinking/I'm looking" circle spins endlessly.

I Used to Be RJB, Dec 10, 2017
Thema:

'Scan' App Doesn't Find Scanner When I Move Networks

1. 'Scan' App Doesn't Find Scanner When I Move Networks - Similar Threads - 'Scan' App Doesn't

2. Windows Scan app -- connection to scanner

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Scan app -- connection to scanner: I am using an HP printer, scanner all-in-one machine whichis wirelessly connected to my computer – I can print from the computer with notrouble at all. When I open the Windows Scan app, it asks me to “connect withthe scanner”. As far as I am concerned, it is already...
  3. Scan App - Problem Connecting to Scanner

Scan App - Problem Connecting to Scanner: I have a fully functional Brother all-in-one on my wi-fi network, and WIN 10 can print to it. But the Scan app cannot seem to find it. The Win Fax & Scan app which is awful to use can find it. Have done restarts, etc. Everything is updated....
  4. Virus scanner detects a virus, says I will be able to see it when scan is done, when scan...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus scanner detects a virus, says I will be able to see it when scan is done, when scan...: Hi, My windows defender recently displayed this message: "Preliminary scan results show that malicious or potentially unwanted software might exist on your system. You can review detected items when the scan has completed.! Only thing is, when the scan completes there is...
  5. Scan App Problem - "Problem connecting to scanner"

Scan App Problem - "Problem connecting to scanner": I'm having trouble scanning. When I install my printer/scanner the scanner app sees the scanner for a day or 2 and then has issues connecting to it I have already uninstalled & reinstalled multiple times Scanner shows up in settings, and shows as "This device is working...
  6. Windows Fax and Scan doesn't recognize my scanner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Fax and Scan doesn't recognize my scanner: I have a Canon TS5120 All-in-One, and it's worked perfectly until today. All of a sudden, when using Windows Fax & Scan, it isn't recognized. I need to scan an important document and now I can't. I have the latest drivers from Canon. What has caused this problem to suddenly...
  7. scanner not scanning

scanner not scanning: I have a Epson WF 2850 all in one device, Scanner is not scanning? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scanner-not-scanning/e7a6e901-a629-4019-a946-8444f2966884
  8. Windows Scan / Fax and Scan not Detecting SCX-4623FW network scanner

Windows Scan / Fax and Scan not Detecting SCX-4623FW network scanner: Hi there, I have a SCX-4623FW samsung fax/scan/printer on my network. It works perfectly... my device is not faulty. It has no issues being scanned with third party apps such as "Scan2PDF" https://sourceforge.net/projects/scantopdf/ or even OpenOffice. The full...
  9. Scanner App defaults to scanning in at 400% size.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scanner App defaults to scanning in at 400% size.: Seems like you are well aware of this issue. It would be super duper great if you could fix this little issue. I saw the prior thread that you closed from 2015 without any kind of answer or whatever. This is a real ham handed approach to something that worked just fine...
  10. windows fax and scan does not find my scanner

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows fax and scan does not find my scanner: windows fax and scan does not find my scanner https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-fax-and-scan-does-not-find-my-scanner/960db1a2-1594-4398-aa2e-0f93206bdefb