Windows 10: Scan drive for errors

Discus and support Scan drive for errors in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I keep getting a notification to scan drive for errors: [img] It says to "Click to start scan" and it does nothing. I ran Chkdsk /scan as stated in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rdwray, Nov 10, 2017.

1. rdwray Win User

Scan drive for errors

I keep getting a notification to scan drive for errors:

Scan drive for errors [​IMG]

It says to "Click to start scan" and it does nothing. I ran Chkdsk /scan as stated in "Event Viewer" and rebooted, but the message does not go away; even after clearing, it comes back.

:)

rdwray, Nov 10, 2017

2. Scan Drive For Errors

Hi,

I am getting notifications of scan drive for errors. My pc also gets hanged and I had to press the shutdown button to get it functioning. When it restarts, it gives the same notification. I scanned the system using updated windows defender. Kindly see if
    anyone can help?

Thanks

Kamran Naeem, Nov 10, 2017
  3. fastoy Win User
    Scan Drive For Errors

I'm not sure I have a Seagate drive. I have run SpinRite on this drive and it was clean.

fastoy, Nov 10, 2017
  4. Scan drive for errors

Maybe try this , from an Elevated Command Prompt (Run as Admin) try running SFC /Scannow

For the sfc /scannow command to work properly, it must be executed from an elevated Command Prompt window in Windows 10.

Good luck ...

Wiley Coyote, Nov 10, 2017
  5. You should backup your personal files maybe HDD/SSD Windows installed on is malfunctioning.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

1. SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.

2. Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found. Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on. This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3. You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options. Please click on Long Generic Test

4. This will start the scan. When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5. The test will indicate either Pass or Fail. Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6. Click on Help, then click on View Log File. If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

FreeBooter, Nov 10, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Please note that Chkdsk /scan only generates a report- it fixes nothing.

You'd need e.g. from an admin command prompt
    chkdsk c: /F
    and then check the result e.g.
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

You can see the params for chkdsk in the usual way thus:
    chkdsk /?

Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) will give a quick indication as to the state of your disks (HDD and SDD)

dalchina, Nov 10, 2017
  7. rdwray Win User
    The disk is fine, my problem is that Windows 10 is popping a notification that doesn't work and how to stop it.

rdwray, Nov 10, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Scan drive for errors

dalchina, Nov 10, 2017
  9. rdwray Win User
    That's a very helpful piece of information because it does happen. This problem I am talking about did not happen at boot and did not force a scan of the drive, it showed up in "notifications" and "Click to start scan" did not work - apparently a Windows 10 bug.

rdwray, Nov 10, 2017
  10. Are you having problem scheduling error checking of HDD with Chkdsk C: /f command.

FreeBooter, Nov 10, 2017
  11. rdwray Win User
    No, I have ran it along with sfc /scannow - no problems - absolutely no problems other than with Windows 10 giving false notifications.

rdwray, Nov 10, 2017
  12. Navigate to Control Panel\Security and Maintenance\Change Security and Maintenance settings and clear the check mark for the Drive status . Hopefully this will work to resolving the issue.

FreeBooter, Nov 10, 2017
  13. rdwray Win User

Scan drive for errors

If I do that, will I miss any issues that may come up concerning the drive?

rdwray, Nov 10, 2017
  14. Yes i think you will be disabling SMART health report warning for all connected hard disk drives.

FreeBooter, Nov 10, 2017
  15. rdwray Win User
    Think I will leave as is and hope that M$ fixes the issue *really

rdwray, Nov 10, 2017
Thema:

Scan drive for errors

1. Scan drive for errors - Similar Threads - Scan drive errors

2. Scan and fix will not fix errors on drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scan and fix will not fix errors on drive: My main C drive has received a warning about possible failure, 'Warning: reliability is degraded Back up your data in case of drive failure' and as a result I have been trying to back it up. Before I can back it up windows tells me I should scan and fix the drive but this has...
  3. Scanning and Repairing drive C error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scanning and Repairing drive C error: Once I turn on my PC, it takes a while to load, then the Scanning and Repairing drive C message shows up. But after only a second of it showing up, the PC auto-restarts itself, repeating the entire process. The actual scanning and repairing part doesn’t happen because the PC...
  4. Scanning and Repairing drive C error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Scanning and Repairing drive C error: Once I turn on my PC, it takes a while to load, then the Scanning and Repairing drive C message shows up. But after only a second of it showing up, the PC auto-restarts itself, repeating the entire process. The actual scanning and repairing part doesn’t happen because the PC...
  5. Scanning and repairing drive C error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scanning and repairing drive C error: I have on the screen Scanning and repairing drive C and after few hours it went on troubleshoot. I tried restarting it and enabling safe mode but it just went to error and restarted again and went back to Scanning and repairing drive....
  6. Scanning and repairing drive C error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scanning and repairing drive C error: I have on the screen Scanning and repairing drive C and after few hours it went on troubleshoot. I tried restarting it and enabling safe mode but it just went to error and restarted again and went back to Scanning and repairing drive....
  7. Scan drive Error keep occurring

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Scan drive Error keep occurring: Hi all, The Scan drive error notification keeps popping up, I already attempt to do the Chkdsk /scan and all its variation, every time when the notification popup, I have to run the scan after restarting my machine it seems like it degrades my machine to the point where I...
  8. Constant Scan for drive errors notification

Constant Scan for drive errors notification: I just reinstalled windows 10 on my laptop for the third time in the past 6 months. Over the course of the time, i have been constantly getting the scan for drive errors in my system. When i click scan, it asks to reboot which takes time which is really annoying. yesterday,...
  9. About scan drive errors

About scan drive errors: i have lenovo ideapad 330 with windows 10 home. I get notification again and again about scan drive errors. What should i do please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-scan-drive-errors/1ae13bb5-dc0c-480a-b2b0-bb99de9d57c7
  10. Scan for drive errors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scan for drive errors: I had recently experienced a problem with my device. I am unable to understand why it is happening. Initially i got a notification regarding the "scan drive for errors, restart to fix", when i restarted my device it says, repairing disk errors this might take over an hour to...