Windows 10: scanner worked on my old laptop, but not my new one, both Win10

Discus and support scanner worked on my old laptop, but not my new one, both Win10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an ancient HP Scanjet 4500c scanner which isn't supported by HP any more, but for which Windows 10 installed the driver automatically when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ricecrispies, Mar 7, 2017.

1. scanner worked on my old laptop, but not my new one, both Win10

I have an ancient HP Scanjet 4500c scanner which isn't supported by HP any more, but for which Windows 10 installed the driver automatically when I plugged it into my old laptop. However when I plug it into my new laptop Device Manager says "There are no compatible drivers for this device." How is it possible that it used to work in Windows 10 and now it doesn't?

:)

ricecrispies, Mar 7, 2017

2. epson 2013 printer all in one won't scan w Win 10

OS is Windows 10, updated from Win 8.1, both 64 bits

Epson SX235W All in One printer, 2013, only two years old

Acer ES1-512 only one month old, previous Acer Aspire w/ Win 7 data transferred successfully onto new ACER

Updated to Win10 on 1 Aug 2015 to get rid of detestable Win 8.

Since the Win10 update my scanner is not being recognized by my laptop. I uninstalled and reinstalled printer twice to no avail. Went onto Epson support and downloaded a newer scanner driver, made sure all the Win10 updates were updated
    onto the printer from Epson support. Printer prints fine, just won't scan. Aggravated. Found a thing on the Epson support saying the scanner will only work with Win Vista or 7. I ran troubleshooter and changed to those but still get the same error message:
    Cannot communicate with the scanner

Can anyone help me find the solution? I had an Epson Network icon with my printer install on my former laptop. Is this maybe the problem? If so, why isn't Epson Updater patching this???

greentara808, Mar 7, 2017
  3. epson 2013 printer all in one won't scan w Win 10

I also have the same problem

pamowen hiley, Mar 7, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

scanner worked on my old laptop, but not my new one, both Win10

I ran into a similar situation with an older HP printer/scanner that worked on the lady's Desktop with Win10 but wouldn't work on her husband's new Notebook that came with Win10, same message about no drivers. HP's support site had no drivers for Win10. Turned out the Desktop was an Upgrade to Win10 but was still able to use her Win7 drivers. They got a new printer. I would imagine a clean install of Win10 on the Desktop would have had the same issue about no drivers.

Berton, Mar 7, 2017
  5. Thanks for replying!

Yes, that would explain it. The old laptop had been upgraded from Windows 7.

I downloaded a driver from Softpedia but I haven't tried to install it yet. Virustotal gives it the all clear in every test except Comodo which alerts for "heur.suspicious" (i.e. not a specific virus/trojan). I'm trying to work out whether it would be safe to install.

ricecrispies, Mar 7, 2017
  6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
  7. HP don't publish software for devices over 10 years old, which includes my scanner. In the end I found a driver at Softpedia, checked it was clean at Virustotal, installed it in compatability mode, and it works.

ricecrispies, Mar 8, 2017
  8. scanner worked on my old laptop, but not my new one, both Win10

Hi ricecrispies,

Did you tried to install a compatible driver to have a try? I think you can try first. Use the device manager to find a compatible driver.

rickchristine, Mar 8, 2017
  9. As I said earlier, HP have removed all drivers for very old gear from their web site.

ricecrispies, Mar 8, 2017
  10. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Glad to hear you found one that works. Gotta love keeping that old equipment useful!

Thema:

scanner worked on my old laptop, but not my new one, both Win10

1. scanner worked on my old laptop, but not my new one, both Win10 - Similar Threads - scanner worked old

2. Old PC with Win10 Home. New one with Win10 Professional. Both OEM. If I restore the new PC...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old PC with Win10 Home. New one with Win10 Professional. Both OEM. If I restore the new PC...: I have an old PC with Win10 Home edition, and a new one with Win10 Professional edition. Both are OEM pre-installed. I plan on restoring the new PC with a backup from the old, which will include the OS of the old. I'm fine with it reverting to Win10 Home edition. Will I have...
  3. Old PC with Win10 Home. New one with Win10 Professional. Both OEM. If I restore the new PC...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old PC with Win10 Home. New one with Win10 Professional. Both OEM. If I restore the new PC...: I have an old PC with Win10 Home edition, and a new one with Win10 Professional edition. Both are OEM pre-installed. I plan on restoring the new PC with a backup from the old, which will include the OS of the old. I'm fine with it reverting to Win10 Home edition. Will I have...
  4. Old PC with Win10 Home. New one with Win10 Professional. Both OEM. If I restore the new PC...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is it possible to backup my OS and programs and files on my old laptop to my new one?!?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to backup my OS and programs and files on my old laptop to my new one?!?: I recently purchased a msi modern 15 i7 laptop. I got a old acer aspire 15 laptop with all my programs and files. It would be a hassle to manually move everything on a external hdd to my new computer. My question is...would it be possible to backup my old laptop exactly how...
  6. Replace old laptop with a new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replace old laptop with a new one: I have bought a new laptop with windows 10 home on it my old laptop there was windows 10 pro installed. How can I get this version on my new laptop, I have the old hard drive were windows pro on is installed....
  7. Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one

Moving my SSD from my old laptop to my new one: Hi, I currently have a SSD with Windows 10 in my old laptop which I would like to move to a new laptop which has Windows 10 Installed on a PCIe NVME SSD. I've already checked and there is room in my new laptop to install my old SSD in. Is it possible to do this so that...
  8. HP scanner -all in one -not working with new laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP scanner -all in one -not working with new laptop: New Dell Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 and HP scanner (all in one) Can't scan, but can see the preview on the screen? "Sorry it's not working properly, please try again"!! Whaaat?! Already tried Dell's "help"...
  9. got a new laptop but has the same problem as my old one

got a new laptop but has the same problem as my old one: i just brought a new laptop as my old one was not working properly and now this one is doing the same thing. it automatically transferred my old stuff from my laptop and has started flashing colors as it starts up and when you put in a usb . please help ASAP Thanks...
  10. New computer, old scanner

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New computer, old scanner: Just got a new computer. Can't find the drivers for my Canon Lide 110 CanoScan scanner. How do I get them again without paying someone?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-computer-old-scanner/3cab1af9-8faf-4842-866c-0d69be9c0fb0