Windows 10: Schedule Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

Discus and support Schedule Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Schedule Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 How to Schedule a Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Schedule Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

How to: Schedule Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

How to Schedule a Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

Windows Defender Antivirus helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Malware can infect your PC without your knowledge: it might install itself from an email message, when you connect to the Internet, or when you install certain apps using a USB flash drive, CD, DVD, or other removable media. Some malware can also be programmed to run at unexpected times, not only when it's installed.

Windows Defender Antivirus is included with Windows and helps keep malware from infecting your PC in two ways:
    • Providing real-time protection. Windows Defender notifies you when malware tries to install itself or run on your PC. It also notifies you when apps try to change important settings.
    • Providing anytime scanning options. Windows Defender automatically scans your PC for installed malware on a regular basis, but you can also manually start a scan whenever you want. Windows Defender automatically removes (or temporarily quarantines) anything that's detected during a scan.
    Windows Defender Antivirus regularly scans your device to help keep it safe. Windows tries to do this while you are not using your device so it doesnt interfere with your work. You can also schedule Windows Defender Antivirus to scan at a time and frequency that you choose.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus for when you want in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type taskschd.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Task Scheduler.

2. Expand open the Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows folders in the left pane of Task Scheduler, and click/tap on the Windows Defender folder. (see screenshot below step 3)

3. Double click/tap on the Windows Defender Scheduled Scan task in the center pane of Task Scheduler. (see screenshot below)

Schedule Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. Click/tap on the Triggers tab, and click/tap on the New button. (see screenshot below)

5. Perform the following actions below to create a new trigger: (see screenshots below)
    A) Select On a schedule in the Begin the task drop menu.

B) Select (dot) One time, Daily, Weekly, or Monthly for how often you want scans to run.

C) Select when you want scans to start.

D) Click/tap on OK when finished.

6. You will now see your new scheduled task listed. (see screenshots below)

*note If you should ever want to delete a scheduled task, you would select the task you want to delete, and click/tap on the Delete button.

7. Click/tap on the Conditions tab, check or uncheck the Power settings below for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
    • Start the task only if the computer is on AC power
      • Stop if the computer switches to battery power
    • Wake the computer to run this task

8. You can now close Task Scheduler if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 30, 2017

2. How to schedule Windows defender scan?

Hi P.

I am an independent advisor here to help

Schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus

in the windows search bar on the lower left of your desktop, Search for and open Schedule tasks.

In the left pane, expand Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows, and then scroll down and select the Windows Defender folder.

In the top center pane, double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/402613...

TechGuy_82, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Scheduling Windows Defender scans

Hi Gary,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to Scheduling Windows Defender Scan using Task Scheduler.

Ideally, when you schedule a task using Task Scheduler it should run during the time. However, if the PC was not switched on at that particular interval then the scan might have taken place.

You can try enabling the History of tasks in Task Scheduler to check more information.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type taskschd.mscand hit
      Enter.
    3. Now right click on the Action tab
    4. Select Enable All Tasks History

You may also want to try changing the settings of the task that you have scheduled.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type taskschd.mscand hit
      Enter.
    3. Double click on the task that you have scheduled
    4. Under General tab, change the settings for
      when the task should run.
    5. Now under Settings tab adjust the settings
      as per your compatibility.

For additional information, you can refer the articles below.

In addition, you may also post your query on
    TechNet forums
    , where we have expertise and support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge to assist you with your query.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Schedule Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Oct 26, 2019
  5. CSS321125 Win User
    Schedule regular scans with Windows Defender in Windows 10

Ok, Thank you, that was helpful.

I found Windows Defender on that list thank to your instructions. However, I am at a dead end again.

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender.

• Select the Triggers panel and then select New.

• Now choose when you want to scan and how frequently. Select OK to add the trigger.

I see Windows Defender on the list on the left hand side. However I see no "Windows Defender Scheduled Scan" to double click on.

(If I do double click on just "Windows Defender", I see the various tabs, and if I Hit "Triggers" there is no "NEW". So it can't be just plain "Windows Defender". And as I said, I see no "Windows Defender Scheduled Scan" unless I'm blind.

I appreciate any further help.

CSS321125, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Cos_ Win User
    How to schedule a FULL Scan with Windows 10 Defender

Regarding Windows 10 Windows

I've read about 12 articles / inputs and still can not get a task set up for my PC to run a FULL Scan (all locations, all drives, NOT a Quick Scan) using Windows 10 Defender.

I have set up two quick scans tasks with defender (not sure I'd remember what I did) and also had to re-create the scan when idle (it is very easy to over-right the scan when idle when adding scans), but there appears to be no option to do a full scan (except
    manually).

I suspect that most people that have tried to schedule scans have messed up Defender.

1. Can someone (preferable a Microsoft employee) post here (without siting one of those terrible confusing articles) the exact steps to perform a weekly full scan, without overwriting the default idle quick scans or the other quick scans people may have
    created, and add steps to ensure the idle scan is still present?

2. Is there anyway to create a pre-scan task to update Defender virus definitions before the scan? Currently defender does NOT check for latest updates. If windows update happens to come before a defender scan it will have new updates, but I can not figure
    how to ensure updates prior to scanning.

Below is what I have currently done, works great for having frequent quick scans, but it provides zero full scans, there appears to be no way to schedule a full scan.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/schedule-a-scan-in-windows-defender

Windows 10 Windows Defender Schedule a scans in Windows Defender

Windows Defender regularly scans your PC to help keep it safe. To choose when and how often you want to scan your PC, use the Task Scheduler.

• Search for and open Schedule tasks.
    • In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft > Windows >
      Windows Defender.
    • Select the Triggers panel and then select
      New.
    • Now choose when you want to scan and how frequently.
    • “Begin the task” (daily, weekly, on idle, et)
    • I Set up two Dailey’s one at 2:30AM, one at 10:AM
    • Select OK to add each trigger.

I got most of this from:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/schedule-a-scan-in-windows-defender

Thema:

Schedule Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

1. Schedule Scan in Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Schedule Scan Defender

2. Windows Defender Scan Schedule

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Scan Schedule: TWO QUESTIONS here... 1 Why is there absolutely no information in the "Task Scheduler" pertaining to exactly WHEN and HOW OFTEN the default/automated Windows Defender scans are run? 2 Yes, there are "Triggers" available to customize scan schedule. But does this cause the...
  3. Schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus

Schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus: Good evening,I came to the Microsoft Community because I was asking for a request and to help me schedule the offline, customized and complete Windows Defender antivirus scan.I'm waiting for this message!Thank you!A good day!...
  4. Scheduling Windows Defender scans

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scheduling Windows Defender scans: I'm not understanding how/if Windows Defender anti-virus, etc. scans operate. Does the User need to manually start a scan, from the various Scan types available in settings ? It's unclear. Can't find anywhere to examine previous Defender scans ....to see what was...
  5. Schedule Windows Defender Scan

Schedule Windows Defender Scan: Can I schedule a virus scan to run at regular times? [Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/schedule-windows-defender-scan/eab2c9ea-4138-4a76-80d1-e0afa89c8f10
  6. How to schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus

How to schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus: Make sure your PC is safe and secure. All it takes is 5⃣ steps for you to schedule a scan with Windows Defender Antivirus! Learn more here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026132 [ATTACH]...
  7. How to schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus

How to schedule a scan in Windows Defender Antivirus: Make sure your PC is safe and secure. All it takes is 5⃣ steps for you to schedule a scan with Windows Defender Antivirus! Learn more here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026132 [ATTACH]...
  8. Windows Defender Scheduled Scan

Windows Defender Scheduled Scan: How do I get Windows Defender Scheduled Scan back in Task Scheduler? I go: Schedule tasks > Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender. I had been messing around with the scheduler trying to make it work properly. Unfortunately, in the process I...
  9. Specify Windows Defender Antivirus Scheduled Scan Type in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify Windows Defender Antivirus Scheduled Scan Type in Windows 10: How to: Specify Windows Defender Antivirus Scheduled Scan Type in Windows 10 How to Specify Scheduled Scan Type for Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 Windows Defender Antivirus. Windows Defender Antivirus helps protect your PC against malware (malicious...
  10. Windows Defender Scan Schedule?

Windows Defender Scan Schedule?: Don't know if this is just me or not, but: For the last month or so WD regularly hits me with the Yellow Warning Triangle to SCAN NOW. Sometimes twice a day. Sometimes days between these events. I don't know enough to be able to find the date/time of it's last scan. Not...