Windows 10: Scheduled Task not waking up PC.

Discus and support Scheduled Task not waking up PC. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have made a scheduled task with the option to wake up the pc from sleep state to run a program. When I tick the option Wake the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jslegers, Dec 25, 2016.

1. jslegers Win User

Scheduled Task not waking up PC.

Hello,

I have made a scheduled task with the option to wake up the pc from sleep state to run a program.
    When I tick the option Wake the computer to run this task the computer won't wake up at the given time.

I have red in a forum of MS that this was a problem in the earlier builds of Windows 10 and that in build 10240 it was solved.

I'm running Windows 10 Build 14393.576.
    Running on a Asus Z87 Expert with latest BIOS (2103)
    2 Nvidia Cards

Has anyone seen this problem also?

I have also tried a to wake up from the BIOS with a timer but that also doesn't work.

So i don't know if this is a Windows 10 problem or Mainboard problem.

:)

jslegers, Dec 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 keeps waking up from sleep in the middle of the night!

Just found the solution to this for me. It was a in Task Scheduler -> Microsoft -> Windows ->rempl

In there, 'shell' was the culprit for me, waking my PC up every day at 10:20 ish. As you can see from the image, it is going to wake my PC the next day at 10:21. I went to conditions, unchecked the 'Wake computer to run this task' box, and changed the trigger
    to run every day at 18:00 instead of 10:00.

Task Scheduler -> Microsoft -> Windows ->SharedPC was also set to wake computer to run, however the task was disabled, but it may not be on yours.

You may need to check the conditions of every single task and subtask in task scheduler, to find out what exactly is waking up your PC.

Scheduled Task not waking up PC. [​IMG]

Curtis0880, Dec 25, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Sleep Mode

Hibernation is more up your alley probably. Sleep will let any application schedule a wake timer to wake it back up, or even wake up in response to network packets. You could spend weeks hunting down every program, driver, or utility scheduled in task scheduler
    that could tell a PC to wake up for the task, and still miss one.

Still if you want to try that, don't let me stop you. You can even narrow it down by going to a admin-level command prompt and typing powercfg /lastwake to see what caused the last wake up even to occur, then go kill that thing. Repeat until you've disabled
    everything that could ever wake up the computer.

Or, just use hibernate Scheduled Task not waking up PC. :)

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Dec 25, 2016
  4. Scheduled Task not waking up PC.

Caledon Ken, Dec 25, 2016
  5. jslegers Win User
    I have checked that and it is enabled.

I now use the program TimeComX and that one wakes up the pc. So the method works. Looks like a Windows 10 issue maybe.

jslegers, Dec 25, 2016
  6. jslegers Win User
    I'm going to test it on a VM. I will let you know.

VM Doesn't support sleep.
    I will try something else.

Tested on a test laptop and there it works. Looks my installation is broken. I will do a repair on my installation.

jslegers, Dec 26, 2016
  7. When you enter the task into Windows if you then go to a command prompt(admin) and enter powercfg /waketimers your task should be listed. If not Windows still doesn't know about it for what ever reason.

Caledon Ken, Dec 26, 2016
  8. jslegers Win User

Thanks for the tip I will test it.

jslegers, Dec 26, 2016
  9. throkr Win User
    FWIW : is the option to ask for the password coming out of sleep unchecked (in the screensaver settings) ?

throkr, Dec 26, 2016
  10. jslegers Win User
    This is what I get :

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393](c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /waketimersTimer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 19:27:30 on 28-12-2016. Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Notepad' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.C:\Windows\system32>

Notepad is for testing. It won't wakeup.

jslegers, Dec 26, 2016
  11. jslegers Win User
    That has been unchecked.

jslegers, Dec 26, 2016
  12. chok Win User
    If the task wakes up the computer but gets stuck in the login screen use the group policy to add your username into this: Code: Computer Configuration-->Policies-->Windows Settings-->Security Settings-->Local Policies-->User Rights Assignment--> allow logon locally[/quote]

Edit: Better solution: Just don't use the option "run even if not logged on" (the task doesn't need to be log on to work)

Thema:

1. Scheduled Task not waking up PC. - Similar Threads - Scheduled Task waking

2. Scheduled Task will not Wake PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scheduled Task will not Wake PC: I have a process to backup my laptop to my NAS. This is scheduled to run, with Task Scheduler, as 22:30 each evening. The process used to wake the PC and run successfully on my old laptop, but fails to wake my new HP Pavilion 15-eg3016na. Instead, the process runs as soon as...
  3. Scheduled Task will not Wake PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scheduled Task will not Wake PC: I have a process to backup my laptop to my NAS. This is scheduled to run, with Task Scheduler, as 22:30 each evening. The process used to wake the PC and run successfully on my old laptop, but fails to wake my new HP Pavilion 15-eg3016na. Instead, the process runs as soon as...
  4. Task scheduler restart issue after wake up from hibernation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task scheduler restart issue after wake up from hibernation: Hello,I have task schedule one for win11 pc hibernation at 00:01 tested 23:59, too and another schedule to restart pc at 9:00 o'clock. Pc just won't to restart after wake up from hibernation. If I run both schedules with run command or I set different time option within ie 2...
  5. Task scheduler restart issue after wake up from hibernation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task scheduler restart issue after wake up from hibernation: Hello,I have task schedule one for win11 pc hibernation at 00:01 tested 23:59, too and another schedule to restart pc at 9:00 o'clock. Pc just won't to restart after wake up from hibernation. If I run both schedules with run command or I set different time option within ie 2...
  6. I created a Scheduled Task to shut down my PC.. Not showing up in Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I created a Scheduled Task to shut down my PC.. Not showing up in Task Scheduler: I ran Task Scheduler as Admin, created a one time task by going to Actions > Start a Program > Typed ion shutdown with -s option. Even a refresh in task scheduler does not show my created task in Active Tasks. I have checked show hidden, still nothing. In...
  7. I cannot get the PC to wake up using task scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    I cannot get the PC to wake up using task scheduler: I cannot get my Intel NUC to wake up using the task scheduler. It is running Windows 10 version 1903. I am using How to Schedule Windows to Schedule it to Wake up and Goto Sleep a guide and so to start with I have disabled hibernation using: powercfg -h off via the command...
  8. Find "Wake up from sleep" Scheduled Tasks

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Find "Wake up from sleep" Scheduled Tasks: Other than going through each and every task in the task scheduler, is there a way to see those that are allowed to wake the machine while it is sleeping? My PC woke up this morning at 3:30 am. It then went back to sleep about ten minutes later. I've checked all of the normal...
  9. Task Scheduler does not always wake the computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler does not always wake the computer: I'v tried just about everything, including selecting the "wake the computer" option. Hibernate or Sleep, it makes little difference. I would expect it to always work or never work, but to have it just work sometimes makes troubleshooting a real pain. 37304
  10. Schedule wake up from sleep (not using task scheduler)

in Windows 10 Support
    Schedule wake up from sleep (not using task scheduler): HiI have tried using windows task scheduler to sleep and wake up at different times but it does not work. I am using a Linx 1010 tablet. Windows 10Would anyone know if there any third party app, or any other way to do this task?Many thanks 92480