Windows 10: Scheduling a Routine Restart Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Scheduling a Routine Restart Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've been searching through the threads and haven't found one yet that solves my problem so I'm hopeful someone will know how to do this simply for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jnsnfl, Jun 11, 2016.

1. jnsnfl Win User

Scheduling a Routine Restart Windows 10 Pro

I've been searching through the threads and haven't found one yet that solves my problem so I'm hopeful someone will know how to do this simply for Windows 10 (Pro).
    I have preconfigured the Windows update to only allow for a restart when no users are logged on (which is pretty much never since I use the PC as a server and there's always at least the sysadmin logged on to the box).

I would like to schedule a routine restart of all services weekly (say Sunday morning at 3:30 am). Regardless of my reasons or the justification for doing this, I am looking for a solution.

Should I put a job in batch through PowerShell?
    Is there some other scripting chronological job scheduler that I'm missing (that exists under Windows Server installs)?

Scratching my head for a solution that must be right in front of me and I'm must not seeing it...

:)

jnsnfl, Jun 11, 2016

2. scheduling Windows Defender routine scans

Yep -- we are in agreement that Defender is lightweight and unobtrusive. And I imagine that Microsoft decided that providing these options in the program interface was not needed as most users would not be opening Defender to begin with.

-steve

Stephen Boots, Jun 11, 2016
  3. Corelogik Win User
    scheduling Windows Defender routine scans

It is not very intuitive. If you like I can try to walk you through it,...

Corelogik, Jun 11, 2016
  4. bookfox Win User

bookfox, Jun 11, 2016
  5. jnsnfl Win User
    Thx bookfox, this is a good approach and could work for most sevices. One draw back is if I need to start most services (20-30 of them) this will end up in a long script, though not really a problem.
    I'm looking for a "best" approach to restart all, which may be to restart the server/pc altogether. Thoughts?

jnsnfl, Jun 11, 2016
  6. TairikuOkami, Jun 11, 2016
  7. bookfox Win User
    I agree with Tairiku. Best to restart the whole PC.
    I posted my suggestion because of your comment about having configured Windows Update to not restart while someone was logged on, and had assumed you wanted it done in such a way that you didn't have to reboot the PC.

bookfox, Jun 12, 2016
  8. DavidE Win User

@jnsnfl

Open a CMD (Command Prompt) window and run this command:

shutdown /?

Maybe you can create a bat file or script to do a forced shutdown/restart.
    Then set up a scheduled task to run that.

DavidE, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Scheduling a Routine Restart Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Scheduling Routine Restart

2. Tweaking a Scheduled Restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Tweaking a Scheduled Restart: I didn't see a category that this question fit so I'm posting it here in the General category. Windows 10/64 Home and Pro Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1110) I have added a task in task scheduler on all my Windows 10 PCs to restart each PC at a specific time every day. An...
  3. Windows 10 schedule a restart question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 schedule a restart question: Hey guys have a question, usually when I install a update or build I get a notification that says restart now or pick a time, I clicked pick a Time by accident and then manually restarted my laptop. In the future Im hoping that it wont always go to the selected time and that...
  4. Windows 10 pro restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 pro restarting: Hi, I am using windows 10 pro on my desktop. My windows is not booting. System keep restarting. Sometimes my system work properly. It automatically fixes the problem. But when I shut down it and try to restart again. The same problem persist. I have checked for all the...
  5. schedule restart by windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    schedule restart by windows: my win is not enabling schedule restart option.....after recent updates installation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/schedule-restart-by-windows/cd805d68-3190-4332-869a-800d6f16eeda
  6. Notify to schedule restart

Notify to schedule restart: How do I set "Notify to schedule restart"? I used to have my W10IP set to this, but now I can't find it anywhere in the useless "phone GUI" Settings screen. Has MS removed this from W10? 70107
  7. Restart is scheduled

Restart is scheduled: I keep getting a pop-up message that say's "Don't Forget a restart is scheduled for ?? oclock" I have cleared the notifications and restarted my computer 3 times and still get this message. The only difference is the time keeps changing. I don't have any updates listed as...
  8. Re-scheduled restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-scheduled restart: New HP Envy 17" only had it a week. Settings>update & security> windows updates. The schedule restart is set for 03.30 but my PC is switched off over night, so every morning it wants to restart 5 minutes after I log on. I can't seem to change that setting, it's greyed out....
  9. Schedule Restart Time for Windows Update in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Schedule Restart Time for Windows Update in Windows 10: How to: Schedule Restart Time for Windows Update in Windows 10 How to Schedule a Restart Time for Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows Update keeps Windows 10 updated by downloading and installing the latest updates, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoft....
  10. Windows 10 Task Scheduler: How to program non-routine trigger

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Task Scheduler: How to program non-routine trigger: Hi I am trying to set up a task to be triggered on the second day of every month, but not if that day is a Saturday. Can anyone help please? 93227

Users found this page by searching for:

1. routine restart windows 10