Windows 10: Scheduling backup

Discus and support Scheduling backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi folks I just decided to use File history as a backup for Windows 10. I'm backing up to a 1TB Hard Drive. How can I tell File History to start the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Bob Hennessy, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Scheduling backup

Hi folks
    I just decided to use File history as a backup for Windows 10. I'm backing up to a 1TB Hard Drive.
    How can I tell File History to start the backup at a specific time each day when I'm not busy or when the computer is still active?
    Thanks in advance
    Bob H

:)

Bob Hennessy, Oct 11, 2017
  2. Butts3118 Win User

Information on task Scheduling

Will a scheduled backup run when your machine is in Sleep mode? Will the scheduler software wake up your machine and start the backup?

Appreciate your comments

Thanks

Butts

original post: Backup Scheduling

Butts3118, Oct 11, 2017
  3. Gizmoprof Win User
    Will Windows 7 scheduled backups be "ported" to Windows 10 when I upgrade?

Maybe I wasn't clear. I have Windows 7. I have a data backup scheduled to backup changes to selected folders. This backup occurs once a day. I also have it scheduled such that an image backup is included in each daily backup.

Will both backups occur as scheduled, if I "upgrade" to Windows 10? (Or will I have to "manually" run image backups?)

Gizmoprof, Oct 11, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Scheduling backup

You may wish to know that File History may be replaced:

dalchina, Oct 11, 2017
  5. I'm not a huge fan of backup devices connected and powered up 7/24. Fine for copies.

I say this a Ransomware and physical events like power surges (or fires) can and will impact the "backups".

I like to have copies but back ups are planned and the media is disconnected and relocated.

Caledon Ken, Oct 12, 2017
  6. YES - You and I think the same way !*Cool

storageman, Oct 12, 2017
  7. That is likely because we both in the industry and this was just a fact of operations. Our eggs were place in many baskets. ( and the clients and auditors checked.)

Caledon Ken, Oct 12, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Scheduling backup

That idea seems to have been quietly dropped for the time being. I am still using it on 16299.15.

Perhaps it will be dropped in future but it certainly isn't yet. If it is hopefully the new version will import from the old as it is very useful feature imo.

File History doesn't require the drive to be connected. When the backup drive is disconnected it writes the changed files to %localappdata% on the local disk. When you plug in the backup drive it flushes this data onto it.

That would be my solution to the question - set file history to save changes at whatever frequency you want (I do hourly and see no performance hit at all from this). Plug in the backup drive now and again (I do every few days I suppose) and it moves the history from your main disk to your backup. Then unplug it. This gets around the ransomware issue mentioned.

Note file history isn't a replacement for backup/system image but it really is nice being able to scroll back and forward through regularly changed documents see how they changed over time. Much easier than restoring files from a gazillion backup images.

9. Dlambert Win User
    I assume you'll ask for File History alternative in the near future. No offence.

Dlambert, Oct 19, 2017
  10. Until I know just what Timeline involves, I've been doing a disk image. However, I would still like to schedule things to reflect my preferences , not those of Microsoft.

Bob Hennessy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Scheduling backup

1. Scheduling backup - Similar Threads - Scheduling backup

2. Scheduled Backup and Local password storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scheduled Backup and Local password storage: [If this is not posted in the right forum or board, apologies and please let me know the correct one.]Change Group PolicyIn order to satisfy best security practices, I recently altered Group Policy: Enabled Storing Local PasswordsComputer Config -> Policies -> Windows...
  3. Scheduled Backup and Local password storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scheduled Backup and Local password storage: [If this is not posted in the right forum or board, apologies and please let me know the correct one.]Change Group PolicyIn order to satisfy best security practices, I recently altered Group Policy: Enabled Storing Local PasswordsComputer Config -> Policies -> Windows...
  4. In Windows 11, how do I schedule regular system image backups?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In Windows 11, how do I schedule regular system image backups?: Windows 11 seems to be missing the ability to SCHEDULE a regular system image backup using the old Win7 backup and restore system option when that is all you want to do.In Windows 10, you *can* schedule just an image backup, but that option seems to be missing in Win 11.So......
  5. In Windows 11, how do I schedule regular system image backups?

In Windows 11, how do I schedule regular system image backups?: Windows 11 seems to be missing the ability to SCHEDULE a regular system image backup using the old Win7 backup and restore system option when that is all you want to do.In Windows 10, you *can* schedule just an image backup, but that option seems to be missing in Win 11.So......
  6. Windows 11 PC doesn't wake from Sleep to run GoodSync scheduled backup job

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 PC doesn't wake from Sleep to run GoodSync scheduled backup job: I have a new PC with Windows 11 as follows:Edition Windows 11 Home Version 22H2 Installed on ‎12/‎9/‎2022 OS build 22621.963 Serial number PF3Z0S8Q Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0 I use a backup program called GoodSync, which works fine on my...
  7. Windows 11 PC doesn't wake from Sleep to run GoodSync scheduled backup job

Windows 11 PC doesn't wake from Sleep to run GoodSync scheduled backup job: I have a new PC with Windows 11 as follows:Edition Windows 11 Home Version 22H2 Installed on ‎12/‎9/‎2022 OS build 22621.963 Serial number PF3Z0S8Q Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0 I use a backup program called GoodSync, which works fine on my...
  8. How to backup and restore task scheduler?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to backup and restore task scheduler?: I would like to know on how to backup and restore task scheduler in case of handling corrupted fileDoes anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance...
  9. How to backup and restore task scheduler?

How to backup and restore task scheduler?: I would like to know on how to backup and restore task scheduler in case of handling corrupted fileDoes anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance...
  10. Widows backup not run in the schedule time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Widows backup not run in the schedule time: Windows backup to my computer does not run on schedule. At times will miss backup. Was supposed to run last night and this morning when I checked it had not run. While I was checking, it started to run. Sme times it does not run and I have to start it manually. This happens...