Windows 10: Scheduling backup

Discus and support Scheduling backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi folks I just decided to use File history as a backup for Windows 10. I'm backing up to a 1TB Hard Drive. How can I tell File History to start the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Bob Hennessy, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Scheduling backup

Hi folks
    I just decided to use File history as a backup for Windows 10. I'm backing up to a 1TB Hard Drive.
    How can I tell File History to start the backup at a specific time each day when I'm not busy or when the computer is still active?
    Thanks in advance
    Bob H

:)

Bob Hennessy, Oct 11, 2017
  2. Butts3118 Win User

Information on task Scheduling

Will a scheduled backup run when your machine is in Sleep mode? Will the scheduler software wake up your machine and start the backup?

Appreciate your comments

Thanks

Butts

original post: Backup Scheduling

Butts3118, Oct 11, 2017
  3. Gizmoprof Win User
    Will Windows 7 scheduled backups be "ported" to Windows 10 when I upgrade?

Maybe I wasn't clear. I have Windows 7. I have a data backup scheduled to backup changes to selected folders. This backup occurs once a day. I also have it scheduled such that an image backup is included in each daily backup.

Will both backups occur as scheduled, if I "upgrade" to Windows 10? (Or will I have to "manually" run image backups?)

Gizmoprof, Oct 11, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Scheduling backup

You may wish to know that File History may be replaced:

Turn On or Off File History in Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials
    shows limited options for scheduling at specified intervals.

E.g. Option 2, 4. Advanced Settings screenshot.

I suppose you could create a scheduled task to turn File History on and off... if there's a appropriate command line option or reg file to do so..

Or perhaps find a way to schedule Option 2:
    Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

windows 10 - Can I launch a File History backup from a script? - Super User

File History Command Line Tool s Code Blog

dalchina, Oct 11, 2017
  5. I'm not a huge fan of backup devices connected and powered up 7/24. Fine for copies.

I say this a Ransomware and physical events like power surges (or fires) can and will impact the "backups".

I like to have copies but back ups are planned and the media is disconnected and relocated.

Caledon Ken, Oct 12, 2017
  6. YES - You and I think the same way !*Cool

storageman, Oct 12, 2017
  7. That is likely because we both in the industry and this was just a fact of operations. Our eggs were place in many baskets. ( and the clients and auditors checked.)

Caledon Ken, Oct 12, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Scheduling backup

That idea seems to have been quietly dropped for the time being. I am still using it on 16299.15.

Perhaps it will be dropped in future but it certainly isn't yet. If it is hopefully the new version will import from the old as it is very useful feature imo.

File History doesn't require the drive to be connected. When the backup drive is disconnected it writes the changed files to %localappdata% on the local disk. When you plug in the backup drive it flushes this data onto it.

That would be my solution to the question - set file history to save changes at whatever frequency you want (I do hourly and see no performance hit at all from this). Plug in the backup drive now and again (I do every few days I suppose) and it moves the history from your main disk to your backup. Then unplug it. This gets around the ransomware issue mentioned.

Note file history isn't a replacement for backup/system image but it really is nice being able to scroll back and forward through regularly changed documents see how they changed over time. Much easier than restoring files from a gazillion backup images.

9. Dlambert Win User
    I assume you'll ask for File History alternative in the near future. No offence.

Dlambert, Oct 19, 2017
  10. Until I know just what Timeline involves, I've been doing a disk image. However, I would still like to schedule things to reflect my preferences , not those of Microsoft.

Bob Hennessy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Scheduling backup

1. Scheduling backup - Similar Threads - Scheduling backup

2. Task Scheduler: UpdateOrchestrator Schedule Backup Scan can not be dis

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Task Scheduler: UpdateOrchestrator Schedule Backup Scan can not be dis: Hello, I would like to ask you and at the same time a Microsoft representative to send me the exact way how to uncheck / disable forever the checked function in Task Scheduler - UpdateOrchestrator - Backup Scan - on the folder "Conditions" - "Wake the computer to run this...
  3. Task Scheduler: UpdateOrchestrator Schedule Backup Scan can not be dis

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler: UpdateOrchestrator Schedule Backup Scan can not be dis: Hello, I would like to ask you and at the same time a Microsoft representative to send me the exact way how to uncheck / disable forever the checked function in Task Scheduler - UpdateOrchestrator - Backup Scan - on the folder "Conditions" - "Wake the computer to run this...
  4. Backup and restore (windows 7) in windows 10 not starting on its preset schedule

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and restore (windows 7) in windows 10 not starting on its preset schedule: I have backup and restore (windows 7) scheduled to start at 12:00am every Sunday so that it will run overnight. I have used this for years. I would log off the computer and in the past would have no problems. The last few months, the backup does not start until I log on...
  5. How do I schedule a weekly backup to Microsoft OneDrive???

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I schedule a weekly backup to Microsoft OneDrive???: How do I schedule a weekly backup to Microsoft OneDrive??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-schedule-a-weekly-backup-to-microsoft/6a53ed34-e002-4dca-a611-473748037f61
  6. Backup / Task Scheduler not working, even after repair

Backup / Task Scheduler not working, even after repair: I noticed that my father's computer hasn't done backup for more than a month.Upon trying a manual backup, it gives the error: "Windows could not launch the automatic backup job for the following reason: Element not found. (0x80070490)" I googled that and tried the...
  7. Solid backup software with verification, delta, and schedules?

Solid backup software with verification, delta, and schedules?: Hello! *Biggrin I'm on the hunt for good backup software (or one-way syncing). How they backup isn't too important (images or directories), but there are some features I'm hoping to find. I have two 4 TB hard drives; one primary and one backup. Each day, we'll add around...
  8. Windows 7 Backup schedule fails after upgrade to Windows 10 v1710

Windows 7 Backup schedule fails after upgrade to Windows 10 v1710: I have successfuly used the Windows 7 backup in Windows 10 v1703 (Maintenance) to run automatically each Monday at 6 a.m. After upgrade to v1710 on 17Oct17 this no longer runs automatically. Instead it waits for me to log in and then starts. Similarly for Automatic...
  9. How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?

How Reliable is Macrium Reflect Backup Scheduling?: I've configured Reflect to automatically run full and differential backups to two drives as shown in the enclosed Reflect status report. [img] The report says the last " full system backup to usb hdd" was run on 14/11/16 and was successful. However when I look at the file...
  10. BSOD at end of a scheduled Acronis Backup, UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD at end of a scheduled Acronis Backup, UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION: On x64 1607, 14393.693, when Acronis Backup Advanced 11.7.50064 (current version) runs it's scheduled backup, at some point the computer will restart with a BSOD with no error code - it only says "UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION". This has happened 3 times already. It started a...