Windows 10: Scrambled menu text

Discus and support Scrambled menu text in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, can anyone help me with this weird scrambling of the text in the menu? Windows starts up fine but after a while everything goes a bit strange,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hairy Belly, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Scrambled menu text

Hi,

can anyone help me with this weird scrambling of the text in the menu? Windows starts up fine but after a while everything goes a bit strange, with large gaps where their should be text and areas greyed out (see jpeg attached).
    This happened to me in 32 bit after I upgraded from 7. I assumed that a full hard drive format and reinstall of 64 bit would sort it out but no. Can't find anything on the net which is odd.

Thanks

:)

Hairy Belly, Sep 22, 2015
  2. J-LZK Win User

Japanese song titles/artists scrambled

Oops, guess I forgot to mention it before.

When doing it through the app scrambled the text, I tried copying it directly via Windows Explorer.

There was no difference; the text still got scrambled. And they become read-only as long as they're in there so I can't attempt to fix it by editing the file details...

Well, there's still one thing I haven't yet tried: re-typing all the text that would get scrambled, before transferring them to the phone.

J-LZK, Sep 22, 2015
  3. soccer81 Win User
    Start Menu

I am noticing issues with the text on the start menu for Windows 10. All of my updates are current and my display driver has been updated. When I click the start menu icon it pops up as normal but all of the text for the icons are either missing, scrambled
    together, joined together with another word, or half of the word is visible. Example: where my name should be next to my icon/photo it says NoteIusicNew

soccer81, Sep 22, 2015
  4. Scrambled menu text

Following a few reinstalls for other reasons this seems to have sorted itself out now. No idea why.

Hairy Belly, Sep 25, 2015
  5. jdeacon Win User
    Glad yours sorted itself out. Mine hasn't though. And this is the only mention I have found on the web so far.

I have the same thing. After a sign in or a restart, things are fine initially; but after a few minutes (5 to 30 mins) the start menu text gets scrambled. Also if you mouse over an unscrambled tile the hover text may well be scrambled. The All Apps, the Most Used, the tiles and the task bar jump lists all get scrambled. If you know which tile you want, clicking it works fine. No apps/programs are affected; just the start menu.

I don't want to do a reinstall. Anyone any insights?

jdeacon, Oct 7, 2015
  6. uktigger Win User
    Try clearing the font cache - it worked for me.

uktigger, Oct 7, 2015
  7. jdeacon Win User
    Thanks. I am giving that a try. The Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache service wasn't running so I made it automatic and did a restart. All the notes on the web say to delete the ~FontCache files from %WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData but there were none there; there were some however in that folder's FontCache folder. I'll try deleting those if the scrambled font problem persists. So far so good however.

I'll report back in a while.

jdeacon, Oct 7, 2015
  8. jdeacon Win User

Scrambled menu text

Several hours later, and happy to report: no scrambled fonts.

jdeacon, Oct 8, 2015
  9. jdeacon Win User
    Drat! Spoke too soon. It did seem as though more time passed with no problems. However, it's back. :-(

I did delete what I think were the relevant files in ...\Local and ...\Local\FontCache and they were rebuilt.

And just for completeness: the notification area is also scrambled.

jdeacon, Oct 8, 2015
  10. XweAponX Win User
    I was getting that before KB3093266, after a reboot it went back to normal. It was mostly showing on my taskbar that way. But lately when I try to print from IE, it shows scrambled like that.

XweAponX, Oct 8, 2015
  11. jdeacon Win User
    Mine didn't change. It was happening before KB3093266 and is happening after. It would be nice to try a different font, but as far as I know, we can't change the start, taskbar, notifications, ... font.

jdeacon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Scrambled menu text

1. Scrambled menu text - Similar Threads - Scrambled menu text

2. Scrambled files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scrambled files.: Downloaded files and instead of instructions and pictures I am getting what looks like the coded version. Is there anyway to change back to original file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scrambled-files/4f4aff39-e0f2-429f-8f84-ba7c319825a6
  3. Scrambled email

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scrambled email: see a lot of questions about email scramble and no answers. How can I get my messages to be received unscrambled? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scrambled-email/05dc75f7-57c7-4c12-bd6a-7719a2918c14
  4. Scrambled email

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Scrambled email: see a lot of questions about email scramble and no answers. How can I get my messages to be received unscrambled? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scrambled-email/05dc75f7-57c7-4c12-bd6a-7719a2918c14
  5. Scrambled Text

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Scrambled Text: When i download stuff or open txt files or open cmd it closes I need help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scrambled-text/ed95d548-370d-4f56-8802-8ce8cd6662ed
  6. Scrambled Text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scrambled Text: When i download stuff or open txt files or open cmd it closes I need help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scrambled-text/ed95d548-370d-4f56-8802-8ce8cd6662ed
  7. Scrambled Text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Start Menu Text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Text: How do I restore the text in my Start menu when it disappeared after an update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-text/e070086c-126a-44c1-9fea-35a67ac46e7f
  9. Scrambled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Scrambled: When I print out documents from online, some of the pages are now coming out scrambled. This just started about a week ago. Not sure how to fix it. I didn't change any settings that I know of....
  10. Icons, Text size and other things change or get scrambled

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons, Text size and other things change or get scrambled: Hi, I would like to report some weird behavior on my PC and get adequate help for it. My problem pertains about Icons on my Desktop who get scrambled, or Fonts I set in Winaero Tweaker to enlarge text for Menu's, Statusbar etc who are set back without my intervention....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 menu scrambled