Windows 10: Screen dimming booting into Windows 10 Education

Discus and support Screen dimming booting into Windows 10 Education in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I boot into Windows 10 Education the screen dims to about 60%. It's happening on the two computers now that have Education version installed on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NavyLCDR, Apr 18, 2017.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Screen dimming booting into Windows 10 Education

When I boot into Windows 10 Education the screen dims to about 60%. It's happening on the two computers now that have Education version installed on them. Screen brightness is set to 100% under both battery and plugged in power settings. Brightness set to 0 (neutral) in Intel display control panel. Then on reboot, it comes up at 100% brightness and immediately dims to about 60%. Only in Education edition. Windows 10 Pro boots up just fine at 100% brightness always.

This happens on both clean installs and upgrades. I've even upgraded a perfectly working Windows 10 Pro, which was always at 100% brightness, to Windows 10 Education by changing the product key - first boot into Education and right into screen dimmed at 60%!

I've never had Education edition installed before version 1703, so I don't know if this is due to Creator's Update or not.

Anybody else see this?

:)

NavyLCDR, Apr 18, 2017

2. i can't change display brightness on window 10 creator update

Thanks a lot!

I got rid of the problem by freshly installing Windows and activating a Pro-Licence, not my Education-Licence.

Screen dimming booting into Windows 10 Education - Windows 10 Forums

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/659u5e/why_does_screen_brightness_return_to_suggested_in/

Could someone confirm the solution from Blade God?

Felix Kopf, Apr 18, 2017
  3. Felix Kopf, Apr 18, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

I've noticed the same. Only in Education edition, in my case starting from build 15063.

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    It seems to dim immediately after user login. Within 1 second of typing the last number of my PIN, but not before.

NavyLCDR, Apr 19, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    The same here, only with Education edition. In my case, on laptop with an external screen and extended displays, only the laptop screen is dimmed, external remains as I have set it.

7. gilcon19 Win User
    The same here, after upgrade on a laptop.

gilcon19, Apr 20, 2017
  8. valbz Win User

Disable this scheduled task - Brightness Reset at the location shown below in Task Scheduler.

\Microsoft\Windows\Display\Brightness

Source.

valbz, May 5, 2017
  9. Superfly Win User
    Thanx .. I still need to test it.. but cool that a newbie posts a solution rather than spam etc...

FYI... after I restart Windows and get back to Linux login I get the dimmed screen .. I need to do a Fn+screen bright thing .. - only happens after a Windows session... really weird (tho' have been getting notifications about improve battery performance or whatever - even on AC)

Superfly, May 5, 2017
  10. I get a yellow ! on the Defender on my laptop. It doesn't like that I have screen brightness set to full "on battery" and sleep disabled "on battery". This is 10 Enterprise. This only happens on the CU. I played with some of my power settings but have yet to get the yellow ! to go away. *Devil

I gave up on running Education because of a "some features are managed by your company" issue.

alphanumeric, May 5, 2017
  11. No screen dimming on my laptop in 10 Enterprise CU, just a FYI post. *Wink

alphanumeric, May 5, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm going back to Professional as well.

NavyLCDR, May 6, 2017
  13. Screen dimming booting into Windows 10 Education

My next clean install will likely be back to Pro. I ended up on Enterprise as a result of doing some activation testing. Everything is working so I left it that way. One of the perks of being an MVP and having access to MSDN. Otherwise I'd still be running 10 Home, lol.

alphanumeric, May 6, 2017
  14. sygnus21 Win User
    I actually have a copy of Education I got through my school and was going to install it on my laptop, but reading about the Education CU issues, I think I'll pass.

That said, I may put it on my backup system just for study/testing purposes. It'll be a clean install anyway being I'm upgrading the mobo, CPU, and RAM.

Running pro on my main rig and laptop. Also currently running pro on the backup system.

sygnus21, May 6, 2017
  15. valbz Win User
    I think this is the best option you have. I have multiple issues with my latest build of EDU. For example, I am 100% sure that there is a similar service that is resetting my settings in Power Plans. I could set my "Turn of the display" to 50 minutes - for example - and after a reboot it will roll back to default.

Later Edit: Can someone tell me what CU means? Google didn't help and I can't send PMs - Creators Update Screen dimming booting into Windows 10 Education :)

valbz, May 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Screen dimming booting into Windows 10 Education - Similar Threads - Screen dimming booting

2. screen dimming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen dimming: Screen dimming wont turn off when I have split tabs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-dimming/58c5a185-c1e2-4a9f-bf5f-7aa1d3d0be1d
  3. screen dimming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    screen dimming: Screen dimming wont turn off when I have split tabs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-dimming/58c5a185-c1e2-4a9f-bf5f-7aa1d3d0be1d
  4. Dim Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dim Screen: Why is my screen like this?My screen suddenly dims whenever I open minimized appsSomeone help me pleaseI have already tried doing several system restores, sfc /scannow but none worked.It doesn't get dim for some time after a system restore is complete. But if I restart the...
  5. Dim Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dim Screen: Why is my screen like this?My screen suddenly dims whenever I open minimized appsSomeone help me pleaseI have already tried doing several system restores, sfc /scannow but none worked.It doesn't get dim for some time after a system restore is complete. But if I restart the...
  6. Screen dim during boot up

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen dim during boot up: Hey guys, on my laptop Im set to high performance, disabled power saving in my graphic properties, the issue is this When I boot my laptop Plugged in to charger, first screen is dell and second screen is the windows logo with dots and third screen is the dots and my screen...
  7. Screen Dimming

Screen Dimming: Hello, Ever since a few days ago, the screen brightness on my Surface Laptop keeps reducing to the minimum. I have turned off automatic adjustment to brightness in the Display section in Settings, and still this keeps happening. The brightness indicator on the top left of...
  8. Windows 10 Screen Dim Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Screen Dim Issue: Custom Built Computer Tower with Windows 10 Screen Dimming Issue Under my About photo here [ATTACH] I have checked to see if I have adaptive brightness and I don't screen shot below [ATTACH] Video Card Up to date of AMD Sapphire RX 580 8GB Screen shot below...
  9. dimming the screen

dimming the screen: I'd like to lower the brightness even further than the display options show. My slider is all the way to the left. It would be great if there was a slider that could lower it all the way to black, as the screen is still far too bright. -Zach...
  10. Screen Auto Dimming Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen Auto Dimming Windows 10: I'm at my wits end. A windows feature update has turned screen dimming back on and I cannot turn it off. No settings change will turn it off. Last time this happened, after many, many hours of trying the suggestions in this forum without success, I found a reply from...