Windows 10: Screen does not always turn off according to Power & sleep settings

Discus and support Screen does not always turn off according to Power & sleep settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; DESCRIPTION Please advise, I am trying to solve this puzzle.. Basically screen wont always turn off according to the settings set in Power & sleep.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AeroJ, Jul 14, 2016.

1. AeroJ Win User

Screen does not always turn off according to Power & sleep settings

DESCRIPTION

Please advise, I am trying to solve this puzzle.. Basically screen wont always turn off according to the settings set in Power & sleep. Sleep, on the other hand, works.
    Sometimes monitor will turn off correctly after a set time, say if I set a minute or two just to test then it works. But 15 minutes never work. Sometimes if I change additional power settings back and forth it starts to work, but only until next restart.
    I can't find a solution nor cause of this problem. Windows 7 power settings worked correctly.

SYSTEM INFO

Windows 10 is cleanly installed on HDD in UEFI mode and I am using/testing it only for a few days yet. Slow ring updates. No additional USB devices are connected except keyboard and mouse. PC is quite new, Skylake based (i5 6600, Asus Z170M-PLUS, R9 390).

THINGS I HAVE TRIED AND RESULTS

• Clean boot and Safe mode - same.
    • Updating BIOS - same.
    • Disabling USB selective suspend - same.
    • Booting without mouse - same.
    • Testing for wake armed devices with powercfg and disabling LAN adapter wake - same.
    • Using USB 3 instead of USB 2 to connect mouse & keyboard - nothing.

"Some" results:

• Generating powercfg /energy report. Report shows error "USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend". Windows 7 did not show such error (hardware switch dual boot, easy to compare).
    • Disconnecting and reconnecting mouse while system is on - display turns off correctly after, but only until next restart..
    • Switching Power plans back and forth - again, starts to work, until next restart.

:)

AeroJ, Jul 14, 2016
  2. BenCarp Win User

I would like my computer to get locked after 5 minutes of no use. Surprisingly I can't find out how to set it.

It turns off the screen, but does not lock the computer.

So for example, if the screen is set to turn off after 5 min, and the computer is set to sleep after 10 minutes, after 6 minutes you can continue using the laptop without having to log in.

BenCarp, Jul 14, 2016
  3. Inactivity timeout

Type Power & Sleep in Windows Start Search box (Cortana)

Click Power & Sleep Settings

Here, you can set the timing turning off your screen

E for Excel, Jul 14, 2016
  4. AeroJ Win User

Any ideas what I should try next?
    I would like to move to W10 (due to DX12 etc.), but a few small quirks like this bug me for some reason *Biggrin

AeroJ, Jul 21, 2016
  5. AeroJ Win User
    Windows 10 update 1607 (Anniversary) fixed this issue! *Smile

AeroJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Screen does not always turn off according to Power & sleep settings - Similar Threads - Screen does always

2. Display / Device does not sleep according to settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display / Device does not sleep according to settings: I have Windows 11 Pro installed on a newly built desktop. Display is set to sleep at 5 minutes and device is set to sleep at 10 minutes. Only one user account exists on the device. When that user is logged in, the display nor the device sleeps at the designated times. If the...
  3. Display / Device does not sleep according to settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display / Device does not sleep according to settings: I have Windows 11 Pro installed on a newly built desktop. Display is set to sleep at 5 minutes and device is set to sleep at 10 minutes. Only one user account exists on the device. When that user is logged in, the display nor the device sleeps at the designated times. If the...
  4. display won't turn off according to power settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    display won't turn off according to power settings: External monitor doesn't follow power settings. Never turns off. This occurred after recent update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-wont-turn-off-according-to-power-settings/7954efb7-f242-4c62-9e7c-6c02b86f1557
  5. display won't turn off according to power settings

display won't turn off according to power settings: External monitor doesn't follow power settings. Never turns off. This occurred after recent update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-wont-turn-off-according-to-power-settings/7954efb7-f242-4c62-9e7c-6c02b86f1557
  6. display won't turn off according to power settings

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Screen Turn Off Power Setting reverts to default on restart but does not change on power...

Screen Turn Off Power Setting reverts to default on restart but does not change on power...: The VIDEOIDLE setting changes to default 0x00000384 15 min. whenever I reboot the system. It stays at 0x00000000 Never - my preferred setting when I power off and power on system or return from sleep mode. The Power mode is performance. Windows 11 Home build 22000.556. This...
  8. Screen Turn Off Power Setting reverts to default on restart but does not change on power...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Turn Off Power Setting reverts to default on restart but does not change on power...: The VIDEOIDLE setting changes to default 0x00000384 15 min. whenever I reboot the system. It stays at 0x00000000 Never - my preferred setting when I power off and power on system or return from sleep mode. The Power mode is performance. Windows 11 Home build 22000.556. This...
  9. Power & Sleep setting to turn off screen are not working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power & Sleep setting to turn off screen are not working: I have the Power & Sleep setting configured for 2 hours, but the screen never turns off. I recently restarted the computer. Would that have changed the Power & Sleep settings?TIA for your help.SweetTasha....
  10. Power & Sleep Windows 10 (1903) setting for screen set to turn off after 1 hour. It's not....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power & Sleep Windows 10 (1903) setting for screen set to turn off after 1 hour. It's not....: submitted by /u/dnadosanddonts [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dwu163/power_sleep_windows_10_1903_setting_for_screen/