Windows 10: Screen flashes black and then goes back to normal (dwm.exe)

Discus and support Screen flashes black and then goes back to normal (dwm.exe) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! This just started happening Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. I haven't installed anything in that time frame. Right after the event happens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Handler, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Handler Win User

Screen flashes black and then goes back to normal (dwm.exe)

Hello!

This just started happening Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. I haven't installed anything in that time frame. Right after the event happens I look in the event log for applications and see this :

In chronological order this is first
    Ten seconds later this
    And one second this
    I've ran a sfc /scannow which came back with some minor errors but none related to this. Also ran Malwarebytes which came back clean. And anti-virus is clean. The only thing I haven't done yet is stick in the Win10 install DVD and choose repair. I wanted to see if there was a simpler solution.

Thanks for any help and if you need more info just ask and I'll provide it!

Dave

:)

Handler, Apr 16, 2016

2. Monitor goes black and and then back to normal in windows 10

Hello,

switching the screen to black and then to normal means Windows reinitial the process to recognize the driver and the screen. The reason could be the network driver, as you mentioned, the issue happens when you download (that uses the network driver). You
    could reinstall the network driver and then if the issue still appears, reinstall and the video driver.

Ivaylo Nikolov, Apr 16, 2016
  3. Monitor goes black and and then back to normal in windows 10

Since updating to Windows 10 my screen goes to black and then back to normal, especially when I try to download a newspaper article.Thanks for any help.I have the power set to balanced.

petertinto, Apr 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, try an in-place repair install, it's a very useful feature.
    Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)
    chkdsk C: /F
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed.

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)

This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Apr 16, 2016
  5. Handler Win User
    @dalchina thanks for the heads up!

By the time you responded I had looked at the repair options and I saw what you where explaining in there. Wasn't to sure how it worked but if I loose nothing and the only thing is I have to redo a few setting and fonts .. so be it!

As far as imaging goes .. I don't have any place to put the image when it's being created.. =( I have quite a bit of free disk space should I create a partition and put the image there?? I'm not sure how big the image will be either. I agree that would be the way to go! Software? I've used Conezilla a handful of times and I know that does imaging but I've mainly used to do metal to metal copies of HDD's,. Let me know more about this imaging if you would!

Thanks for responding!

Handler, Apr 17, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Ugh, that error. This has been around since Windows 7. It is an odd error, because it only affects certain GPU chipsets, drivers and ACPI drivers.

I do not know if Microsoft has a hotfix for 10. Thry do have one for 10.

It is more common on systems that use the NVidia GPU chipset.

bro67, Apr 17, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, thanks bro67. Any ideas as to why it might have started to happen, where it didn't happen before?
    Driver update? Coincidence?
    @Handler - could you complete your system specs please?

Note that with the in-place upgrade repair install your Windows (and drivers) will be reinstalled. Suggest proceeding with that, as your PC was working, then investigate the issue further if unlucky- hopefully bro67 has ideas on that.

Imaging:
    Can be done over a network or to an external disk, and of course to another partition.
    However the usual point of imaging is to create it on a physically separate medium - so it's a backup.
    Imaging allows you, for example, to replace your imaged disk - e.g. if it fails.

Macrium and Aomei - and several others- create a base image (largest) and then allow you to create images of the changes (smaller, faster) so you have a set of images - you can restore from any of the dates.

dalchina, Apr 17, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

It started back when Windows 7 had issues with certain NVidia drivrs.

As for imagining. I use Clonezill to do drive images. It will not let you expand or shrink partitions, without using GParted.

I use a Lenov ix2-4 as my NAS storage. All backups are done through NFS folders.

bro67, Apr 17, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    ...sorry... meant on this particular system, assuming it had been ok for some time with Win 10..

dalchina, Apr 17, 2016
  10. Handler Win User
    Handler, Apr 17, 2016
  11. Hi have you tried a SFC /Scannow
    Command Prompt (Admin)
    My friend this weekend had the same trouble
    Did the above it found a fixed a corrupt file
    Seems to be ok now been running for 24 hours and no flashes or black screen

hTconeM9user, Apr 17, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    @Handler: SFC /Scannow is worth a shot.. it'll take a while to run. Does nothing with drivers, but detects and attempts to repair system files.

Please post back with the result; also look thru the CBS.log file and if the ONLY corrupt file reported is OPENCL.DLL you can ignore that, noting you have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 430. (I think MS has fixed that problem of erroneously reporting that though).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Screen flashes black and then goes back to normal (dwm.exe) - Similar Threads - Screen flashes black

2. Dwm crash with black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dwm crash with black screen: Looking for assistance with DWM crash using windows 10 latest updatesSeems like most troubleshooting I could find was "Hardware" related i.e. loose power cable. this does not apply to my setup as it has been checked with no issues. I have tried all of these settings in...
  3. Dwm crash with black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dwm crash with black screen: Looking for assistance with DWM crash using windows 10 latest updatesSeems like most troubleshooting I could find was "Hardware" related i.e. loose power cable. this does not apply to my setup as it has been checked with no issues. I have tried all of these settings in...
  4. Dwm crash with black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Screen flashes normal, to black to normal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen flashes normal, to black to normal: HP laptop 17-cn0xxx.... Win 11 pro...Screen intermittently flashes normal, to black and back to normal... 1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2, 1 thousand 3.I have ran all Hp and Microsoft trouble shooters to no avail.Trouble shooters say "display driver" is fine."Any program' open,...
  6. Screen flashes normal, to black to normal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen flashes normal, to black to normal: HP laptop 17-cn0xxx.... Win 11 pro...Screen intermittently flashes normal, to black and back to normal... 1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2, 1 thousand 3.I have ran all Hp and Microsoft trouble shooters to no avail.Trouble shooters say "display driver" is fine."Any program' open,...
  7. Weird Screen Sequence, Then Goes Back to Normal

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Weird Screen Sequence, Then Goes Back to Normal: Hi, there! I am having a recurring issue where my laptop whether connected to a monitor or not freezes, goes to a black screen with the cursor still showing, then flashes both a tan screen and some weird screen kind of looks like binary numbers. After 15-30 seconds of this...
  8. Black screen for a while on startup, then goes back to normal

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen for a while on startup, then goes back to normal: When I turn My gaming laptop on, it usually takes 20mins due to the black screen. After that, it’s a little slow but fine. Thanks submitted by /u/carterchillman [link] [comments]...
  9. it loads on its normal boot screen, and then it goes black

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    it loads on its normal boot screen, and then it goes black: I had just fixed the restart error and now, it is doing this thing where it loads on its normal boot screen, and then it goes black, then back to the preparing screen, and then to the 64% loading screen. Please help me i cannot fix it....
  10. how to change black screen back to normal

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change black screen back to normal: how to change black screen back to normal https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen/28ba356e-11bf-4b3f-8c93-e96e24999d0a

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dwm.exe screen flashed on off