Windows 10: Screen flickers & then explorer closes

Discus and support Screen flickers & then explorer closes in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On a Dell Vostro 3550 laptop, there were a few issues with Windows 7, so I erased the drive, did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro, downloaded and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by buddyclm, Jan 6, 2016.

1. buddyclm Win User

Screen flickers & then explorer closes

On a Dell Vostro 3550 laptop, there were a few issues with Windows 7, so I erased the drive, did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro, downloaded and installed all of the drivers from Dell. Then did a Windows 10 upgrade. When Windows 10 would first boot, it kept giving a 0x error. I did all of the Windows 10 updates and that error went away. But it would boot to a black screen. I plugged an external monitor into the laptop and updated the BIOS to A12 and I have video on the laptop again. The main problem I have now is every minute or so, the screen will flicker and explorer restarts. As soon as it flickers, the task bar is gone for a second and then reappears. I have uninstalled the video and sound drivers but this didn't change anything. Is there something else to try to get Windows 10 to work correctly on this laptop? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

buddyclm, Jan 6, 2016
  2. Xris[AU] Win User

File Explorer for Windows 10

Windows 10 base system here recently updated and with File Explorer, if you minimise it the window flickers for ages going in some sort of loop, even if you select to close it the window continues for a few minutes before it shuts down and makes the windows
    wallpaper flicker, taskbar disaapear, flicker, reset and back to normal.

Can only open Windows File Explorer in full view and not minimise, or move to second screen..

Anyone else?

Xris[AU], Jan 6, 2016
  3. JavaExcel Win User
    Windows 10 - Guest account related

I'm having the issue with the desktop flickering on Lenovo Y700 with Windows 10

The screen flickering occures even when connected to the machine over TeamViewer - the desktop flickering is reflecred remotely.

The Lock screen does not flicker - only desktop does, so it is not a hardware problem. It seems like the flickering is rendered by continious and quick Explorer crashing and restarting.

Pausing sihost.exe via Resource Monitor stops the flickering but freezes up the explorer.

All occurs with a regular user account, not a Guest one.

JavaExcel, Jan 6, 2016
  4. lifetec Win User

Your Dell vostro 3350 has Intel HD 3000 and a AMD 6000 m series gpu.
    Both these gpu needs so called Legacy drivers.
    But the problem is probably that your laptop has Dell has customized Dell drivers. And that probably Dell has no windows 10 "legacy"drivers avaliable.
    What versions of your Gpu drivers is installed on your laptop.

Maybe the customized windows 8.1 Dell drivers for your laptop will work.

lifetec, Jan 6, 2016
  5. buddyclm Win User
    I had downloaded the newest one that was on Dell's web page (for 8.1 I think) but I did all of the Windows updates in Windows 10 and it showed it was downloading an update for the video driver.

buddyclm, Jan 6, 2016
  6. lifetec Win User
    Then windows has probably installed the latest "generic" intel driver and that could be the source of your problem.

Could you look in Device manager for the exact version that is installed now.

lifetec, Jan 6, 2016
  7. lifetec Win User
    Then windows has probably installed the latest "generic" Intel driver and this could be the source of your problem.
    What version number do you have in Device Manager.
    Rollback or reinstall the latest Dell driver.

If you want to use your own drivers on your system use this tutorial
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

lifetec, Jan 6, 2016
  8. buddyclm Win User

the current video driver that is on the laptop is:
    Driver Provider: Intel Corporation
    Driver Date: 5-27-15
    Driver Version: 9.17.10.4229

buddyclm, Jan 7, 2016
  9. lifetec Win User
    Yes this is a generic Intel driver for windows 7/8 see https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...ows-7-8-64-bit
    But like a said you will need a customized Dell driver.

lifetec, Jan 7, 2016
  10. buddyclm Win User
    All of the Intel drivers on Dell's web page for this laptop are only for Windows 7/8, if they don't update for Windows 10 am I not going to be able to use Windows 10 on the laptop?

buddyclm, Jan 7, 2016
  11. lifetec Win User
    Yes, it seems running windows 10 on your laptop will be a difficult matter.

I found this on the Dell website and your Dell Vostro 3550 laptop will get no support for windows 10
    And Intel also has no support in windows 10 for your Intel 2d generation with hd 3000 and will not release a windows 10 driver.

What you could try is remove/uninstall this latest "generic" Intel driver and install the latest Dell driver http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...drivers?rvps=y
    And if this one will work on your windows 10 system. Disable the automatic device driver installation to prevent Windows Update to install another driver again. Use the tutorial as posted a few post above.

lifetec, Jan 7, 2016
  12. kurdoncob Win User
    Try to remove the IDT Audio program. We've have couple of these roll into the shop lately with the same exact problems. This has been effective in resolving it. Incompatible program that craps out every 30-60 seconds.

So to run Windows 10 on these:
    Upgrade to BIOS A12
    Upgrade the video driver - may not be necessary but why not
    Remove IDT Audio software (not audio driver, in Add or Remove Programs)

Oh and the unknown device that won't get installed in the beginning is the Free Fall Sensor.

kurdoncob, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Screen flickers & then explorer closes - Similar Threads - Screen flickers explorer

2. Apps randomly opening and closing, screen flickering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps randomly opening and closing, screen flickering: My computer seems possessed. Apps will open, then close in random succession. There is a glowing halo bottom center of the screen above the task bar. It appears to be primarily opening the search tool but will also open random files. When the apps are opening and closing the...
  3. Apps randomly opening and closing, screen flickering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps randomly opening and closing, screen flickering: My computer seems possessed. Apps will open, then close in random succession. There is a glowing halo bottom center of the screen above the task bar. It appears to be primarily opening the search tool but will also open random files. When the apps are opening and closing the...
  4. Flickering File Explorer

Flickering File Explorer: Hello!My PC runs 64 Bit Windows 10. For the past five days, I have been having trouble with File Explorer. Whenever I click any folder to open, it flickers. It is so annoying. Attaching a link with a short video of the issue....
  5. Flickering File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flickering File Explorer: Hello!My PC runs 64 Bit Windows 10. For the past five days, I have been having trouble with File Explorer. Whenever I click any folder to open, it flickers. It is so annoying. Attaching a link with a short video of the issue....
  6. Screen flickering in File Explorer and commands missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen flickering in File Explorer and commands missing: I built a PC a few months ago and installed windows 10 home edition on it ACTIVATED. Then i bought a second monitor. I connectedthe monitor and purchased and installed ASTER a multiseat software so that 2 people can work together on 1 PC. Everything was working fine till 2-3...
  7. Screen flickering in File Explorer and commands missing

Screen flickering in File Explorer and commands missing: I built a PC a few months ago and installed windows 10 home edition on it ACTIVATED. Then i bought a second monitor. I connectedthe monitor and purchased and installed ASTER a multiseat software so that 2 people can work together on 1 PC. Everything was working fine till 2-3...
  8. Screen flickering in File Explorer and commands missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Screen Flickering while using Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen Flickering while using Explorer: Hi, I am using thinkpad w520 with windows 10 updated to latets version. I never had any problems but once I connected my laptop to external monitor via displayport to Hdmi Connection and thne I disconnected and then back to normally using my laptop. Since then I noticed my...
  10. File explorer flickering

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer flickering: Not sure how to explain this. When in Windows explorer I'll be looking at a list of files in the"details" listing method. When i run my mouse up and down the list of files the type in the file names flickers or jumps around if you will. No idea why. I shot a short video...