Windows 10: Screen goes black, and can't boot into windows unless safe mode

Discus and support Screen goes black, and can't boot into windows unless safe mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys , ive been having an issue lately and im struggling to work through it. Brief history, screens started dropping to black and computer would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by elliott000, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Screen goes black, and can't boot into windows unless safe mode

Hey guys , ive been having an issue lately and im struggling to work through it. Brief history, screens started dropping to black and computer would stay on. No way to reset just had to hold power button down.

Fast forward to my attempts to fix, system restore from safe mode, start up repair... Neither worked, i originally formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows results were thebsame problem. I was suggested maybe the hatd drive developed bad sectors or something so for 100 bucks i figured whatever. Bought a new western digital hard drive still no joy.

Hardware as follows
    Dell mobo
    Asus essence st xonar sound
    Amd msi r9 290 graphics
    Cant remember the make but 800 watt power supply
    I7 2.3 w/ 8 gb of asus ram.

Should be noted this setup ran fine for years before.

It had been somewhat of a pain to get amd recent drivers installed in safe mode but as far as things go tonight all my drivers are up to date yet i can still only load up in safe mode. When starting normally i get my bios splash, windows logo then black. My keyboard is illuminated and its light come off and on during its attempts to start. I think it does three attempts at starting then goes to windows help or whatever, where i xan select recovery etc for me i go safe mode.

I need help lol, im at a loss and pretty frustrated, could my video card be on the fritz or my mobo? I just find it off that everything is fine in safe mode but no way will she boot normally.

I should mention when installed windows it would boot in and work good for about 3 minutes. No time to even install chrome or check driver versions.

Any helps appreciated

Elliott

:)

elliott000, Dec 15, 2017

2. Unable to start Windows 10 after Anniversary Update

Has bricked my desktop. After installing, screen goes black. Then I tried booting from recovery disk, screen goes black. I can't even get into safe mode. Essentially computer is dead.. So all I can see is the initial boot logo, then the screen goes black.
    I can hit f12 to boot from recovery disk, but then screen goes black.

Original title: Anniversary Update

TonySeaback, Dec 15, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Upgade Failure

Thank you

Uninstalling the one item in Display Adapter in Safe Mode has helped in that Windows will now load and be OK for a couple of minutes and then the screen goes black again. Also, when re-booting now it can't see the keyboard unless I disconnect it and re-connect
    it and it's not seeing the speakers in the monitor

I have gone into Settings and PC info and it says that I am still running Windows 8.1

Geoff and Sue Boud, Dec 15, 2017
  4. Screen goes black, and can't boot into windows unless safe mode

Hi elliott000.

Sounds like drivers, my guess. Safe mode uses basic video drivers, normal boot loads vendor driver. First we want to get you to Safe Mode and get them all uninstalled.

You seem to be close, the three failed attempts brings up Windows Advance Startup Options. You want to follow the flow to safe mode.

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

Next you want to uninstall all video drivers. For that use DDU.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...installer.html

Next you want to tell Windows to stop updating drivers. Option four this tutorial.

Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10

Find older AMD / ATI driver for your card, say six months old. Install it.

Try booting normally.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 15, 2017
  5. Thanks for the reply Ken, i followed your instructions and when i ran the installer for amd drivers from july it said it could not install because they weren't digitally signed but the version of drivers i chose is the wqhl stuff so it should be good. I worked around that by going to video card in device manager and updated the driver by manually pointing it to the extracted drivers found in the amd folder.

Restarted to a balck screen so still no luck.

elliott000, Dec 15, 2017
  6. Stigg Win User
    I had black screen issues a while age. I tried numerous driver updates and disabling various stuff to try to identify the problem. I also checked all cables. I even replaced my PSU, which can cause this problem, but the problem continued.

Embarrassingly to say, but I finally found out that it was the graphics card that simply needed re-seating by pulling it out and re-seating it a couple of times. I then did a clean graphics driver installation, which I don't think was needed. I think it was just the graphics card that needed re-seating.

All is good now. Maybe it is worth a try for you. Good luck. *Smile

PS: While you're re-seating your graphics card into the slot, re-seat the power cable to the card.

Stigg, Dec 15, 2017
  7. Tried that no luck either. Maybe a sledge hammer is the answer at this point!

elliott000, Dec 15, 2017
  8. Screen goes black, and can't boot into windows unless safe mode

Did you boot into safe mode and uninstall the drivers?

9. Yes, safe mode is the only way i can run the thing. Should i use ddu again and ensure that windows update is off then try and run windows with a reboot and no drivers?

elliott000, Dec 15, 2017
  10. Bastet Win User
    Do you have a Logitech mouse or keyboard? In the recent past they were known to cause a black screen at start up.

Bastet, Dec 15, 2017
  11. Once DDU is done did you tell windows not to update drivers? And then you installed the driver you wanted, the older driver.

12. f14tomcat Win User
    I'm not 100% certain, but I believe DDU sets that when run from Safe Mode. For just that purpose.....tell MS to keep quiet with the GPU drivers.

f14tomcat, Dec 15, 2017
  13. Screen goes black, and can't boot into windows unless safe mode

Yes, and yes i do have a blutooth Logitech performance mx mouse thatsba couple years old and a corsair keyboard

elliott000, Dec 15, 2017
  14. Did you try an even older driver? (of course worth seeing if this is tied to Logitech).

15. we have PROGRESS! haha

So im typing this now in the normal windows environment but the tricky part... I did two things at once so im not sure which was the correcting factor.

In safe mode i ran DDU again but as soon as i clicked the clean and restart command i pulled the mouse dongle out. I t did the driver clean up, rebooted and i plugged mouse back in and her i am.

Current situation, still running baseline microsoft video drivers. Im going to try a restart with logitech plugged in and see what happens. if fine then ill try the july version of amd drivers!

fingers crossed something goes right
    Screen goes black, and can't boot into windows unless safe mode [​IMG]

elliott000, Dec 15, 2017
Thema:

Screen goes black, and can't boot into windows unless safe mode

1. Screen goes black, and can't boot into windows unless safe mode - Similar Threads - Screen goes black

2. Black screen when booting to safe mode [Solution]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen when booting to safe mode [Solution]: I have had problems with my system from time to time. Blue screen. I suspect it started after the June update KB5027231. After trying ALL except one tips to fix blue screen, I restarted my computer in Safe Mode msconfig. Then the computer boots to black sceen. Managed to get...
  3. Black screen when booting to safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen when booting to safe mode: I have had problems with my system from time to time. Blue screen. I suspect it started after the June update KB5027231. After trying ALL except one tips to fix blue screen, I restarted my computer in Safe Mode msconfig. Then the computer boots to black sceen. Managed to get...
  4. Black screen when booting to safe mode

Black screen when booting to safe mode: I have had problems with my system from time to time. Blue screen. I suspect it started after the June update KB5027231. After trying ALL except one tips to fix blue screen, I restarted my computer in Safe Mode msconfig. Then the computer boots to black sceen. Managed to get...
  5. Black screen after setting boot mode to safe mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen after setting boot mode to safe mode: System Information:Acer Aspire GX 281 DesktopWindows 10 Home EditionAMD Quad-Core RYZEN 5 1400NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB256GB SSD8GB DDR4I was playing a game in which one of the inputs needed to play was the middle mouse button, but my middle mouse button no longer works so...
  6. Black screen after setting boot mode to safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after setting boot mode to safe mode: System Information:Acer Aspire GX 281 DesktopWindows 10 Home EditionAMD Quad-Core RYZEN 5 1400NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB256GB SSD8GB DDR4I was playing a game in which one of the inputs needed to play was the middle mouse button, but my middle mouse button no longer works so...
  7. Black screen after setting boot mode to safe mode

8. Black screen in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen in safe mode.: Hello everyone, I tried to reset my PC thru the settings, and I got the message 'The ProfSvc service failed to sign-in/User profile cannot be loaded' when I tried to log in to my PC after the reset. Then I tried to boot it into safe mode, but I got a black screen. After that,...
  9. Black screen and can't access safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen and can't access safe mode: Hey guys, I've been black screening before signing in and was hoping you guys could help me out. I've tried accessing safe mode but it still just black screens. Thanks in advance....
  10. Windows fails to boot unless in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows fails to boot unless in safe mode: If I try to boot windows out of safe mode when I run something or after some time windows will crash and both my monitors will go black. When I boot in safe mode I do not get this issue. I have tried multiple things to fix this but all have resulted in failure....