Windows 10: Screen Goes Black For 2-3 Minutes After Startup/Restart

Discus and support Screen Goes Black For 2-3 Minutes After Startup/Restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Upon reaching the desktop after a restart or startup, my screen goes completely black for 2-3 minutes. After that, the desktop appears again and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thepipe, Aug 5, 2018.

1. thepipe Win User

Screen Goes Black For 2-3 Minutes After Startup/Restart

Upon reaching the desktop after a restart or startup, my screen goes completely black for 2-3 minutes. After that, the desktop appears again and everything works as expected – although some system tray items continue to load. This is not an intermittent thing - it happens every time I startup/restart. Also, it's not a screen hardware issue - I experience no other issues with the screen - e.g.: it does not flicker or cut out at any other time. I've checked for and installed latest drivers, firmware & BIOS updates.

I’m thinking it might be a software conflict, but have no idea what it might be. This has been going on for quite a while and persists through system updates.

Factors that may have an impact
    For security reasons and to lower system overhead, I’ve disabled certain system items at startup (e.g.: remote access, geolocation service, work folders, etc.) and things such as the fingerprint reader – I never use it.

Any ideas/help are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

System Info:
    HP Envy Laptop
    Model: 15T AE100
    Core i7 6700HQ 2.6GHz
    Intel HD Graphics 350
    RAM: 8GB

:)

thepipe, Aug 5, 2018
  2. Keiem Win User

Laptop goes to black screen in 2 minutes.

Hello,
    Just installed Windows 10 yesterday. I have a Toshiba laptop.
    When no programs are running and I'm not working on the laptop, it automatically goes to a black screen now after 2-3 minutes. When I then touch a button or the mouse, it goes back to normal screen, and I can also see the internet connecting again.
    All my screensavers/shutdowns are set on 10 minutes or more.

What can cause this?

Keiem, Aug 5, 2018
  3. DeanEvo Win User
    WIndows 10, screen goes black after a couple of minutes and have to restart computer

Hi, I have upgraded to windows 10 and shortly (couple of minutes) after the computer boots to desktop the screen goes black and I can't do anything but turn off or restart.

In safe mode it doesn't turn off.

I use the hide updates patch on my gpu drivers and have set metered connection to on however the screen still goes black as if it's installing a gpu driver that doesn't work.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers

DeanEvo, Aug 5, 2018
  4. Screen Goes Black For 2-3 Minutes After Startup/Restart

Screen goes black if the power cord is connected

Hi Tony,

As the screen goes black I suggest you to refer the Microsoft article on
    Troubleshoot black screen problems and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

I also see that you are facing issues with the keyboard this might be due to the corruption of keyboard drivers. I suggest you to run the
    hardware and devices troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps for the same.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    • Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Aug 5, 2018
Thema:

Screen Goes Black For 2-3 Minutes After Startup/Restart

1. Screen Goes Black For 2-3 Minutes After Startup/Restart - Similar Threads - Screen Goes Black

2. Black screen after RESTART.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen after RESTART.: Hello, I have made a complete, fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on HP 6300 Microtower. During the installation process, Windows 10 restarted and... I saw black screen for quite a long time. So I held POWER button for 5 seconds, PC turned off... Turned it on again...
  3. Goes to sleep after 2 minutes???

in Windows 10 Support
    Goes to sleep after 2 minutes???: Although set to sleep after an hour while on power, it goes to sleep after 2 minutes. Before the Win 10 upgrade, whatever I set power conservation at was what the laptop followed. Never had any problems until now... Any thoughts? Thanks, Bruce 43893
  4. Screen goes black with no warning, then restarts the pc

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen goes black with no warning, then restarts the pc: This started happening about a week ago, and it occurs almost once a day. The screen suddenly goes black for a second or so, then the pc restarts, it goes through the welcome screen etc. I get no warning at all. Its not because overheating, because sometimes it happens...
  5. Laptop goes to sleep after 2 minutes while plugged in

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop goes to sleep after 2 minutes while plugged in: Hello, I have a Lenovo YOGA 900-13ISK, with Windows 10 currently installed. I've recently been annoyed by the following occurrence: while my laptop is plugged in and I stop using it (moving mouse, typing keys, etc), my laptop puts itself to sleep after 2 minutes and 15...
  6. Computer goes to sleep 2 minutes after last command

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer goes to sleep 2 minutes after last command: I've gone into the power & sleep settings, even the advanced power settings and set all to one hour, yet the computer still goes to sleep after 2 minutes if left alone. Help. Thanks, Mike 78669
  7. Laptop goes to black screen in 2 minutes.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop goes to black screen in 2 minutes.: Hello, Just installed Windows 10 yesterday. I have a Toshiba laptop. When no programs are running and I'm not working on the laptop, it automatically goes to a black screen now after 2-3 minutes. When I then touch a button or the mouse, it goes back to normal screen, and I...
  8. My laptop turns off the screen in 2 - 3 minutes.

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop turns off the screen in 2 - 3 minutes.: This is fairly new behavior. I had changed power options to turn off the screen from 2 hours down to 1 hour when this began. What have I done wrong? I only use the laptop plugged in so I didn't change the battery part of the power option. 99810
  9. screen goes black on login

in Windows 10 Support
    screen goes black on login: When I turn on my computer it logs into one of my two users, but when it does the screen goes black and nothing happens. It has been like this for 2-3 days now and I don't know what to do. Sorry for my bad english. 69803
  10. Black screen on startup, then restarts.

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen on startup, then restarts.: I just installed Windows 10, but every time I start up the computer, it will show a black screen before getting to the login screen and then the computer will restart by itself after about 5 seconds. It does this over and over again. Some things I've tried: - I...