Windows 10: Screen goes black too fast

Discus and support Screen goes black too fast in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have screen shut off and sleep mode set at 20 min and 30 min. But screen goes black after 2 min inactive and I must hit a key and enter password. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jt33033, Dec 31, 2016.

1. jt33033 Win User

Screen goes black too fast

I have screen shut off and sleep mode set at 20 min and 30 min. But screen goes black after 2 min inactive and I must hit a key and enter password.
    Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

:)

jt33033, Dec 31, 2016

2. DPC Watchdog Violation

Completed and computer crapped out and said critical process on a blue screen...but went black too fast to read

HeLPnEEdeD_145, Dec 31, 2016
  3. New Windows update = 10 minute reboot time.

Recently, a new update was applied and now my computer, which used to be lightning fast, takes 10 minutes to reboot. Black screen with windows logo, small spinning white dot goes round and round. How do I fix this so it goes back to lightning fast solid
    state hard drive rebooting fast?

WyoPsychoRN, Dec 31, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Dec 31, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    What is your screensaver set to? Go to Start/Search and type screen saver and choose to Change Screen Saver and set it to none

spunk, Dec 31, 2016
  6. jt33033 Win User
    I went to screen 'saver settings as suggested. It was already set to "none", so started screen saver set the wait time 15 min.

So far if computer is inactive it goes to screen saver after 15 min and I tap a key or move mouse and I'm back working. No more reentering password every few minutes!!! *Cool

Sorry wanted to "mark solved" hit "mark unsolved by accident.

jt33033, Jan 1, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    That's a different outcome, but fortunate.

dalchina, Jan 1, 2017
  8. Wolfman Win User

My pc went black after just one minute of inactivity. The easy fix is go to Screensaver and you will find like I did that it was set for just ONE minute. Reset it to 15 and that did it! Good luck.

Wolfman, Mar 4, 2018
  9. fmartel Win User
    what I found, and did solved this issue, was in this post:
    How to change Lock screen timeout before display turn off on Windows 10 | Windows Central

In resumé, open a konsole with admin rights, and type this command :

Code: powercfg.exe /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_VIDEO VIDEOCONLOCK XX[/quote]
    Note that AC must be change to DC for the command to work for the battery mode.
    XX stands for the number of SECONDS (i.e. 180 Seconds for 3 minutes). The default is 60.

Cheers !

fmartel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Screen goes black too fast - Similar Threads - Screen goes black

2. lock screen locks too fast

in Windows 10 Customization
    lock screen locks too fast: Lock screen locks in one minute and no way to extent the time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-screen-locks-too-fast/46a89321-c4e8-4ba0-999e-50989deab614
  3. screen goes black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen goes black: My screen goes black only when I move my cursor to certain spots on the screen, these spots change randomly for ex if I restart or if I open something, it just changes.I have tried updating my display driver, or using win+ctrl+shift+b or even using power troubleshoot, none of...
  4. screen goes black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    screen goes black: My screen goes black only when I move my cursor to certain spots on the screen, these spots change randomly for ex if I restart or if I open something, it just changes.I have tried updating my display driver, or using win+ctrl+shift+b or even using power troubleshoot, none of...
  5. Screen goes black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black: Hi recently when i opened a game and started playing, screen went black showing no signal and after few seconds came back to normal.. 3rd time this happened screen goes black and system restarted itself. There was an error code in event viewer shown below,"The computer has...
  6. Screen goes black

Screen goes black: Hi recently when i opened a game and started playing, screen went black showing no signal and after few seconds came back to normal.. 3rd time this happened screen goes black and system restarted itself. There was an error code in event viewer shown below,"The computer has...
  7. Screen goes to black . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes to black . . .: My computer runs, Windows 10.There's one setting, I don't know how to change?After about, 30 seconds. My screen goes to black.When I move my mouse, it comes back on.But, it goes to the login screen. When it comes, back on?And, I have to put in my password. And, I don't want...
  8. Screen goes to black . . .

Screen goes to black . . .: My computer runs, Windows 10.There's one setting, I don't know how to change?After about, 30 seconds. My screen goes to black.When I move my mouse, it comes back on.But, it goes to the login screen. When it comes, back on?And, I have to put in my password. And, I don't want...
  9. Screen goes to black . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Screen goes black

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen goes black: I am using Windows 10, my setup is running the most recent windows update, and I keep my system safe with up to date Norton360. But I am pretty computer illiterate. So I ask with the utter most sincerity to simplify as much as you can. I've been having a reoccurring problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. screen goes black too quick