Windows 10: Screen Goes Black When Installing AMD Display Driver

Discus and support Screen Goes Black When Installing AMD Display Driver in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; When installing the AMD display diver my screen becomes black. My computer does do anything and I have to manually turn it off and turn it on again.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Max0101010, May 19, 2017.

1. Screen Goes Black When Installing AMD Display Driver

When installing the AMD display diver my screen becomes black. My computer does do anything and I have to manually turn it off and turn it on again. When this happens and my computer boots up again the driver is not installed. I ran DDU before I tried installing the driver.

Is my GPU dying, or has something else gone wrong?

:)

Max0101010, May 19, 2017

2. Display Adapter / Black Screen

I am trying to troubleshoot a black screen problem on an HP Elitebook 8540w laptop.

Windows 10 installed and the operating system loads, but I get a black screen before I can log into the device.

Sometimes the display will flicker and show me the clock.

If I plug in an external monitor both the laptop display and the external monitor will work.

If I remove the external monitor the laptop screen goes black again.

I've tried both the newest AMD driver and rolling the driver back with the same results.

ContipPaul, May 19, 2017
  3. Rob3rt68 Win User
    Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

same problem, randomly my screen goes black and i get a notification that my display has been recovered.

Looking in the logs it seems the display driver. amdkmdap

No driver updates available using windows update, amd reports also latest driver installed.

Had this crash 3 times today, was doing standard desktop stuff (browser, email etc), no graphic stuff (such as movies, games etc)...

Anyone any idea?

Rob3rt68, May 19, 2017
  4. Screen Goes Black When Installing AMD Display Driver

Hi Max0101010.

Have you tried an older driver / software package?

While it may not be related what version and build of 10 are you running?

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 19, 2017
  5. I have tried the legacy driver package but that did not work, I am on Windows Version 1703 and build 15063.296.

Max0101010, May 19, 2017
  6. Thanks I asked as another member was having issues with his AMD drivers on the Creator's update. His resolution was to fall back to the Anniversary Update.

I had suggested to him to install the drivers using compatibility mode, right click on exe, then properties, compatibility tab.

He couldn't try as he had already fallen back.

I assume you invoked the Creator Update, that is your machine didn't do it as way of a naturally occurring update.

EDIT 1:

In this thread CountMiike said he used 17.1.1

Proper Way of Updating AMD Video Drivers in Creators Update

Caledon Ken, May 20, 2017
  7. I tried installing the drivers with compatibility mode but an error message was displayed and prevented the starting of the driver installation. It read "Error 184 - AMD Driver cannot continue due to unsupported Operating System.". I tried to install 17.1.1 but the original issue still occurred, and my screen went black during the installation of the display driver.

Max0101010, May 20, 2017
  8. Screen Goes Black When Installing AMD Display Driver

When it goes black, how long do you wait before pressing Power? In this article it suggests it can take a long time.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-fi...ems-windows-10

Other ideas in no particular order.

If available, disable all overclocks, reset BIOS, (note settings before doing so), check Asus for BIOS update (understand risks associate with updating), not sure if you have on board graphics but make sure they are disabled, roll back to Anniversary updates.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 20, 2017
  9. I have once waited over an hours for the drivers to install. I have also tried the suggested fixes for the problem in the article but none of them have worked. I then decided to do a system restore to a point where the drivers were installed and working; the system restore failed with the computer having to reboot in safe mode for the screen not to be black.

Max0101010, May 21, 2017
  10. Yes in safe mode Windows uses the basic MS driver so computer can be used.

Did you look into the BIOS reset and or the version update?

I checked the site and the latest was released last August, Version 2901. Not saying to do an update.

One other item which is another long shot, do a clean boot so nothing third party starts. Then try the driver install.

Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts

So more Googling and I came across this...

To people who have instant Black Screen or Free... | Community

Sixteen new steps, two around Bios and discussion on manual install. Hopefully one works.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 22, 2017
  11. Just picked up a AMD RX 570 for £150 from Maplin, everything works great now, seems like it was the GPU.

Max0101010, May 23, 2017
  12. Excellent. Glad to hear. If you wouldn't mind marking thread solved at least others will see how you fixed it.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Screen Goes Black When Installing AMD Display Driver

1. Screen Goes Black When Installing AMD Display Driver - Similar Threads - Screen Goes Black

2. [Windows 11] Black screen installing optional amd driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [Windows 11] Black screen installing optional amd driver: Hi,I saw today an optional windows update, an update for amd driver. So i install it, but my screen is black, it past 5 minutes, i can see the red pc is working, and i can hear cpu vents, what should i do?...
  3. Blue screen when installing amd driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen when installing amd driver: Hello! I am a amd GPU and processor user. I use msi bravo 15 b5dd with mx 5500 gpu. My Windows 11 keeps replacing my gpu driver is my first problem. I tried fix it from device manager etc and it didn't work. And now, when I re installing my gpu driver, it crashed and blue...
  4. Blue screen when installing amd driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue screen when installing amd driver: Hello! I am a amd GPU and processor user. I use msi bravo 15 b5dd with mx 5500 gpu. My Windows 11 keeps replacing my gpu driver is my first problem. I tried fix it from device manager etc and it didn't work. And now, when I re installing my gpu driver, it crashed and blue...
  5. Installing AMD drivers gives me the black screen of death

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing AMD drivers gives me the black screen of death: I’ve been using my pc for around a year now with no issues. Yesterday I was editing a video on premiere pro and all of a sudden my pc cut to a navy blue screen where I couldn’t do anything. I continued to force shut down my pc and restart it back up again. I was able to boot...
  6. Black screen after AMD driver install.

Black screen after AMD driver install.: I recently did a clean Windows install on my old machine. I literally installed only Battlefield 4, Eset and Chrome. I noticed that Windows update also automatically installed AMD Radeon Drivers. After a few days i started seeing some glitches while playing BF4. One day the...
  7. Black screen after installing newest AMD drivers

Black screen after installing newest AMD drivers: After installing the newest AMD drivers through Windows Update or through the AMD website, the BIOS loads fine but it won't load Windows and shows a black screen, if I reset it a few times it tells me something is preventing Windows from starting and end up reinstalling...
  8. Black screen with cursor when installing AMD drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen with cursor when installing AMD drivers: Hello i have an AMD A8 7410 with Radeon R5 M430 whenever i try to install amd drivers after reset my screen goes black with cursor i tried uninstalling drivers with AMD cleanup utility but atill my screen goes black with cursor when i open my AMD 19.5.1 setup the problem...
  9. Installing AMD drivers caused the black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installing AMD drivers caused the black screen: I have installed Windows 10 and then my laptop tried to install AMD display drivers. But rebooting the laptop resulted in a black screen. I performed some troubleshooting steps like deleting Windows automatic updates and updating graphic card drivers. But I still get the...
  10. Black screen when installing AMD video drivers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Black screen when installing AMD video drivers: I have a new i5 system with a fresh install of Windows 10x64 and a good old AMD 7870 graphics card. I have been using AMD Crimson drivers 16.3.2 for Win10x64. No overclocking. The system has worked flawlessly the last six weeks. A couple of days ago I had my first crash, when...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. amd drivers black screen

2. amd installer cannot continue due unsupported an operating system

3. screen goes black when installing amd drivers