Windows 10: Screen goes dark for several minutes while switching user accounts

Discus and support Screen goes dark for several minutes while switching user accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Very odd behavior after the Anniversary Update: when I try to switch from another user to my primary user account, there is a long lag, either right... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by HGilbert, Sep 27, 2016.

1. HGilbert Win User

Screen goes dark for several minutes while switching user accounts

Very odd behavior after the Anniversary Update: when I try to switch from another user to my primary user account, there is a long lag, either right before the password screen or right after the password is entered, when the screen goes dark.

This only happens when switching to the primary user account, not when switching to other user accounts.

I'm using a Dell XPS 8900 with Windows 10 Home Premium.

:)

HGilbert, Sep 27, 2016

2. Screen goes dark

My screen goes dark after 1 minute of non-use. I have it set to go dark after 20 minutes using Settings, Power. Why is it not taking? Please help

TillieLuna, Sep 27, 2016
  3. HELP Lumia 1520 Display Problems

My screen also goes dark after receiving or making a phone call. Frustrating when you need to type a number while on a conference call but can't see the screen. This problem needs to be addressed for professionals in the workplace and every day private
    users.

docwells2000, Sep 27, 2016
  4. jrih Win User

HGilbert, did you ever find a resolution to this issue? Just yesterday, I set up a Dell XPS 8910 with Windows 10 Pro on the Anniversary Edition. When I switch from my Admin User Account to a local limited user account, the switch is quick. When I try to switch back from the local limited user account to my Admin User Account, the screen goes black for 60 seconds before the switch is completed. So, like you, the slow switching issue only occurs when switching to the primary (admin) user account.

Anyone out there have a similar issue & can offer some suggestions as to how to resolve this as it is a real PITA! *Mad

Thanks in advance for any assistance in resolving this frustrating issue.

jrih, Mar 9, 2017
  5. simrick Win User
    simrick, Mar 9, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Just some thoughts on what the process may be.

When switching from Admin to local, there is not much the system needs to do...profile-wise. Local restricted is not tied to an MS account, so no authentication of apps, OneDrive, Outlook, etc, etc, need be done, at that time. Each app would need to be signed into separately as needed.

Other way around, you're going from a kinda bare-bones environment to one tied to an MS account. All kinds of authentication going on. It can't even get the Welcome screen up until it figures out who you are and your options. If you auto-logon with the Admin user account, you could get a blank screen for a bit till it gets itself put together. Don't take me too literally, but there's a lot more under the covers work to be done with a MS account versus a local.

Just my thoughts. TC

f14tomcat, Mar 9, 2017
  7. jrih Win User
    Thanks for your thoughts. Just to let you know ... my Admin account is *not* tied to a Microsoft account ... it is also a local account.

jrih, Mar 9, 2017
  8. jrih Win User

Thanks for the suggestion, as I was already considering doing that. However, before doing so, I decided to first try restarting into Safe Mode & then restarting into Safe Mode with Networking. For what it's worth, under both environments, I was able to freely switch between users with no lag at all. Will have to wait a bit to do the Clean Boot & then will report back results.

jrih, Mar 9, 2017
  9. HGilbert Win User
    No, I have not found any solution to this. Just out of curiosity: did your problem start along with a change in graphics drivers? One suggestion was made that it might be connected to this, and I indeed changed to a new monitor and driver around the time this started for me.

HGilbert, Mar 10, 2017
  10. jrih Win User
    Nope, I'm just setting up a new Dell XPS 8910. Loaded a few apps and then established a local limited account for my husband, and that is when this all started. I have not been able to find much online about this issue. It is driving me nuts! As I posted above, when booting into Safe Mode & Safe Mode with Networking the issue was not present. I will be doing a Clean Boot to troubleshoot further as noted above, but cannot do it now. Maybe later this weekend or next week. I will report my results. You may want to do the same. The tutorial for Clean Boot is linked above in #3 from simrick.

11. jrih Win User
    The issue of the screen going dark for 60 seconds while switch user accounts has been resolved on my Dell XPS 8910. I uninstalled Malwarebytes AntiMalware version 3.0.6.1469 from my system. First through Control Panel Programs & Features Add/Removal Process. Then, rebooted & ran the Malwarebytes Clean tool. Rebooted & ran CCleaner registry cleaner. After all vestiges of MBAM were removed, I rebooted. Voila! Switching between users is very snappy now. *Biggrin

I had read a thread on this forum stating that the latest version of MBAM is very problematic. I decided to remove it as I was having issues trying to run a Clean Boot. This worked like a charm.

HGilbert, if you are running Malwarebytes AntiMalware version 3 on your system, you may wish to uninstall it as it may be causing this issue for you as well.

Unfortunately, the above resolution was short lived. The problem has now occurred again. I am having issues running a Clean Boot, even though I have followed the tutorial on this forum to the letter. In the meantime, I am using the following workarounds to switch users.

ALT + F4
    or
    Press Start button, Press User Icon, Press Lock
    or
    Add a Switch User Shortcut to the desktop of all users
    Create Switch User shortcut in Windows 10

12. jrih Win User
    HGilbert, just wanted to get back with you after several days of troubleshooting this switch user issue. I can now definitely confirm that the issue on my Dell XPS 8910 was caused by all the Dell bloatware that came pre-installed on my system. I have uninstalled all the Dell pre-installed programs, except for Dell Registration, and my system is running perfectly now ... finally! *Biggrin

13. simrick Win User

Cheers! *Thumbs

simrick, Mar 19, 2017
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    Wow! You were persistent! Good job! *Thumbs

f14tomcat, Mar 20, 2017
  15. HGilbert Win User
    Well, I also have a Dell XPS 8900 series desktop. Fancy that. I uninstalled the DELL programs (except for Registration), as you advised, and also Malwarebytes, just in case, and the problem appears to have disappeared. I'll try reinstalling Malwarebytes to see if that causes any slowdown...

Thanks a million!

HGilbert, Mar 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Screen goes dark for several minutes while switching user accounts - Similar Threads - Screen goes dark

2. Screen freezes & goes dark

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen freezes & goes dark: Hey friends... Yesterday I made another topic - Weird issues since last update probably ? I am not sure, if this is related to the other one or not. Last night, I was watching some sport highlights on youtube & fell asleep, when I woke up & woke the laptop from sleep mode - I...
  3. my screen goes dark

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    my screen goes dark: recently when I unplug my charger the screen goes really really dark and I barely can see the screen. I have tried power troubleshooting but it was no use. what should I do? it's windows 10 Lenovo laptop...
  4. laptop screen goes dark randomly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    laptop screen goes dark randomly: I have a Lenovo Ideapad S340 with a Ryzen 3 3250u, VEGA 3 graphics, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD. I have had to repair the laptop from a crash about 2 months ago which required me to reinstall windows 10. Last night, I was browsing a website and my secondary monitor went green and my...
  5. screen goes Dark

in Windows 10 Customization
    screen goes Dark: hello...the windows starting screen that means the laptop screen showing dark. Even though I set any wallpaper .still it is black . when I go to personalisation setting there it shows the exact wallpaper that I set. But it doesnot work on main screen...but I am able to access...
  6. Temporary black screen while switching users

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Temporary black screen while switching users: Hello. New windows10 Lenovo. When switching users get a black screen that can last upto 20seconds. I don't know if this is just a slow computer i3 with ssd or its a windows feature. Is the screen that comes up *while switching users* configurable - to something other than...
  7. screen goes black for several moments ...

in Windows 10 Support
    screen goes black for several moments ...: This is a really worrisome problem: Just upgraded from Win7 pro x64 to Win 10 Pro. At the same time I replaced the motherboard, ram, video card and added an SDD. I had this done by a computer shop that I trust. The tech spent some time replacing and troubleshooting drivers....
  8. Switching Users: When I go to "switch users"the screen goes to the blank signon screen....

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Switching Users: When I go to "switch users"the screen goes to the blank signon screen....: I press ALT-CTRL-DEL to switch users. The screen takes me to the blank (initial Windows screen). I press ALT-CTRL-DEL again and the screen turns light blue then the spinning icon comes on the screen. It spins for about 2-3 minutes and then returns to the blank initial sign...
  9. screen goes dark after 1 minute

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    screen goes dark after 1 minute: Why does the screen on a portable go dark after a minute without use when all power sleep settings are set to never. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-goes-dark-after-1-minute/9dd5e98f-0d5f-4e25-9086-13bd9679e0bb
  10. screen saver goes black for several minutes before photos start showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    screen saver goes black for several minutes before photos start showing: Before my screen saver starts showing my photos, the screen goes black for several minutes. Can I fix this in settings, and if so how do I fix this?...