Windows 10: Screen is stretched/cannot change aspect ratio

Discus and support Screen is stretched/cannot change aspect ratio in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have been trying for hours to get windows 10 to unstretch itself because my screen seems to be stretched and hurts my eyes if i use it for too long.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by LoeToe, Apr 16, 2016.

1. LoeToe Win User

Screen is stretched/cannot change aspect ratio

I have been trying for hours to get windows 10 to unstretch itself because my screen seems to be stretched and hurts my eyes if i use it for too long. I cannot stand it any longer and want to fix it really badly. Dont tell me to change the resolution because I have tried that, all the resolutions are in 4:3 aspect ratio. All i need is a 1920x1080 resolution option. Thanks!

Update: I have gotten somewhere...In the box my monitor came in i found a disk to install the necessary drivers for my monitor. It comes up with the correct monitor just the screen resolution is wrong (1280x1084 instead of the correct resolution which is 1080x1920) somebody please help before I shoot myself

:)

LoeToe, Apr 16, 2016

2. How do I change the aspect ratio of my monitor?

I have been trying to change the aspect ratio of my monitor from its default 4:3 to 16:9.
    The aspect ratio was fine until the VGA outlet in my PC stopped working, and moving it to the other VGA outlet seems to have reset the aspect ratio to 4:3.

Display Settings only lets me select a resolution of 800x600, 1024x768, or 1280x1024, all of which are 4:3. I have been Googling 'how to change aspect ratio', but all of the solution I am finding are telling me to go to 'advanced display options'—which
    doesn't seem to exist.

I have also tried to change the resolution with the options of my monitor itself, but the only aspect ratio options are 'stretch to fit' or 'stretch to fill'.

How do I change the aspect ratio?

[Moved from:
    Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers]

Rachel Evans, Apr 16, 2016
  3. Screen Resolution Changed for no reason?

Update: Restarted my computer

Still in the same aspect ratio, but instead of black bars on the sides, my whole screen is really stretched and awful looking

Screen is stretched/cannot change aspect ratio :(

MatthewHuchzermeier, Apr 16, 2016
  4. batlhilz Win User

what cable youre using? what version of windows? have you updated GPU drivers etc...?

more information helps alot to help you out

batlhilz, Apr 16, 2016
  5. LoeToe Win User
    I am using vga and i have updated all my drivers and everything... but then I saw a video that told me to uninstall the microsoft basic display adapter driver so I did and now i cant change the display settings at all.

LoeToe, Apr 16, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    In your system spec it says windows basic display adapter. It seem you don't have graphic card drivers installed.

You can open "device manager" (right click on start button in lower left corner) and click it.
    Click on display adapter (double click will do it) and select update drivers.

If this doesn't help you may go to motherboard manufacturer site and download it from there.

AndreTen, Apr 16, 2016
  7. LoeToe Win User
    I updated them until I was told to uninstall them which I did. I will try and download drivers from my board manafacturer's site *Smile

LoeToe, Apr 16, 2016
  8. LoeToe Win User

Somebody on youtube

LoeToe, Apr 16, 2016
  9. msny Win User
    Drop a picture of what the stretched image looks like on your monitor if you can.

10. AndreTen Win User
    Sorry, wrong quote

AndreTen, Apr 16, 2016
  11. AndreTen Win User
    Can you give us link? *Smile

AndreTen, Apr 16, 2016
  12. TopGeek Win User
    If you re-boot Microsoft Basic Display Adapter will re-install.
    This sounds similar to my Dell Dimension 3100 story, where the onboard graphics chipset does not support widescreen. Fitting a graphics card is the simplest answer in my case.

TopGeek, Apr 17, 2016
  13. AndreTen Win User

If PC worked with Windows 8/8.1, there is no reason to not to work with Windows 10. If normal installation doesn't work, you may try:
    1. Install drivers for 8.1 (run as administrator and check compatibility) and then try to update
    2. manually install drivers

AndreTen, Apr 17, 2016
  14. LoeToe Win User
    Here:
    Screen is stretched/cannot change aspect ratio [​IMG]

LoeToe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Screen is stretched/cannot change aspect ratio - Similar Threads - Screen stretched cannot

2. 4:3 aspect ratio doesnt stretch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    4:3 aspect ratio doesnt stretch: Hi tried almost every scaling mode i could and almost every thing i knew but somehow my windows still makes it look like slightly smaller 16:9 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/43-aspect-ratio-doesnt-stretch/e923b747-204d-460b-aff6-e31872b540ab
  3. 4:3 aspect ratio doesnt stretch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    4:3 aspect ratio doesnt stretch: Hi tried almost every scaling mode i could and almost every thing i knew but somehow my windows still makes it look like slightly smaller 16:9 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/43-aspect-ratio-doesnt-stretch/e923b747-204d-460b-aff6-e31872b540ab
  4. Aspect Ratio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Aspect Ratio: I opened up Halo: Master Chief Collection and it first opened on my second monitor and shortly after I got it moved to my first monitor it screwed with my aspect ratio and made my icons on that screen bigger than they should be...
  5. Aspect Ratio

Aspect Ratio: I opened up Halo: Master Chief Collection and it first opened on my second monitor and shortly after I got it moved to my first monitor it screwed with my aspect ratio and made my icons on that screen bigger than they should be...
  6. Aspect Ratio suddenly changed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Aspect Ratio suddenly changed: I know that this is a problem with aspect ratio and not resolution, first and foremost. And I know that this isn't a problem with installing Windows 10 because I did that ages ago. I literally went to go leave my room, and then I came back and my screen is now just a display...
  7. Changing Aspect Ratio on Camera

Changing Aspect Ratio on Camera: I've been trying to change the aspect ratio on my default camera for my Windows 10 Computer. Most online articles say to click the three dots in the upper right hand corner. However, in my app, there is no such option.When I open my settings, there is no option to change the...
  8. Change monitor aspect ratio

Change monitor aspect ratio: How do I change the monitor aspect ratio on a lap top. Its 4:3 and needs to be 16:9 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-monitor-aspect-ratio/3d3b53df-93b9-45d2-9c8a-75cfff58ec2d
  9. change aspect ratio on windows 10

change aspect ratio on windows 10: change aspect ratio on windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-aspect-ratio-on-windows-10/a0845ddb-535e-490d-8fd5-7b3f2a519918
  10. Screen Aspect Ratio in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen Aspect Ratio in Windows 10.: Hello everyone, I've got an old notebook. I decided to install Windows 10 on it. However, it turned out that Windows 10 does not support the GPU that I have in my laptop what means there is no software, dedicated to my GPU. Because of that, I can't change the screen aspect...