Windows 10: Screen Layout Limitations on Dell Laptop

Discus and support Screen Layout Limitations on Dell Laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My wife and I have identical Dell 7000 i7 laptops running Windows 10, both fully current with updates. On my machine I can put any icon anywhere on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DougR, Jul 21, 2017.

1. DougR Win User

Screen Layout Limitations on Dell Laptop

My wife and I have identical Dell 7000 i7 laptops running Windows 10, both fully current with updates. On my machine I can put any icon anywhere on the desktop. On hers, she can NOT put icons in the left or right columns on the screen. They jump to another location if placed there. I cannot locate any settings differences. Both laptops have the same screen resolution and icon magnifications.

Any thoughts for a puzzled user?

Thanks,

Doug

:)

DougR, Jul 21, 2017
  2. nj7_ Win User

Symbian OS slowness?? (E70)

I think that is specific from E70, and is because of change screen layout, from vertical to horizontal. It maybe happens also, because of RAM limitations of the device.

3. igfxtray.exe

What is the make and model of your Dell?

Open Start > Settings > System > Display

Make sure recommended settings are selected for Scale and Layout and Screen resolution.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 21, 2017
  4. Screen Layout Limitations on Dell Laptop

Hi DougR. Welcome to the TenForums @DougR

Right click on desktop, clear area, click on "View" in context menu. Check settings between two devices.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 21, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    To add to what is being said, Right click a blank space on the desktop choose View and Uncheck Auto Arrange Icons

spunk, Jul 22, 2017
  6. DougR Win User
    Thanks to both of your for your suggestions on my differing displays. A screenshot of the view menu on my computer is attached. My wife's identical laptop has the same arrangement choices selected, but she has a choice for small icons that I do not.

I remain puzzled, so any additional thoughts will be welcome.

Thanks, again,

Doug

DougR, Jul 23, 2017
  7. Can I ask what is "Fences"?

Interesting that it should be on context menu for the screen.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 23, 2017
  8. mrgeek Win User

Fences is a desktop icon and shortcut organizer from Stardock, who also make a Start menu replacement ala Classic Shell. I might look at that as a potential issue.

mrgeek, Jul 23, 2017
  9. Thank you for explanation and I would second that as a potential issue.

Caledon Ken, Jul 23, 2017
  10. DougR Win User
    Thanks for your comments, observations and suggestions on my issue.

Yes, "Fences" is a Stardock application to help keep icons organized on the desktop. It is only on my machine, not the one my wife has with the display issue.

For reasons I cannot explain, when I changed the icon size on her machine from "small" to "medium," the left columns of her display again became usable. With all the years I have used computers, I have learned when something works, don't question it, just enjoy the victory!

So, problem solved!

Thanks again for the help.

Doug

DougR, Jul 31, 2017
  11. Havis001 Win User
    Finally, your problem solved.

Havis001, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Screen Layout Limitations on Dell Laptop - Similar Threads - Screen Layout Limitations

2. Screen time limits

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen time limits: I'm having an issue with the screen time limits. We add screen time limits for kids youtube, for 30 minutes a day. My children each have a tablet and an android phone. When the limit of 30 minutes is reached on one device, they can switch to the other and they somehow get an...
  3. Screen time limits

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen time limits: I'm having an issue with the screen time limits. We add screen time limits for kids youtube, for 30 minutes a day. My children each have a tablet and an android phone. When the limit of 30 minutes is reached on one device, they can switch to the other and they somehow get an...
  4. Split Screen Layouts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Split Screen Layouts: Hello,Can someone advise how to remove these split screen layouts?Every time I drag an application these layouts pop out. This is annoying as while dragging I always see this and sometimes release the application to a layout....
  5. Split Screen Layouts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Split Screen Layouts: Hello,Can someone advise how to remove these split screen layouts?Every time I drag an application these layouts pop out. This is annoying as while dragging I always see this and sometimes release the application to a layout....
  6. Generic Kids Account and Screen Limit on Laptop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Generic Kids Account and Screen Limit on Laptop: I have a generic local account set up on a Win 10 laptop for my kids. I would like to limit usage of that to not be useable after 10PM. I have multiple kids and don't want to go through the process of creating a single account for each one of them in order to do what should...
  7. Screen time limits

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Screen time limits: My child has screen time limits applied to his account. However, I did not set them or turn them on. How can this be ? Further more, I cannot turn them off. When I check on my account settings page, it shows that there are no restrictions for the child account. So, why...
  8. Dell XPS: Laptop struggling to get past Dell screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell XPS: Laptop struggling to get past Dell screen: Hi Everyone- Hoping to get some help/insight. My laptop (Dell XPS 13 / Version number 18362.657) has been struggling to turn on for sometime. The screen will light up with the Dell logo, however will not move past that point until I manually shut down & restart. I've been...
  9. Home screen layout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Home screen layout: How do I change the layout to the Windows 7 style in Windows 10 - Is this possible? Thanks for your help with this. Kind regards Gayle Moyle https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/home-screen-layout/b767588a-74f1-4df4-a611-b8345d0aefd6
  10. Screen display layout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen display layout: My buttons typically along the bottom of my screen have relocated to the right side of the screen. How do I switch them back? KC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-display-layout/0a99adc6-7255-44b0-b779-b956b0acdf70