Windows 10: Screen position wrong for popups/modals/alerts since latest update

Discus and support Screen position wrong for popups/modals/alerts since latest update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have a really weird (and annoying!) issue that has cropped up since the latest update. I'm on the latest Win10, with a 3 screen setup. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by youradds, May 11, 2017.

1. youradds Win User

Screen position wrong for popups/modals/alerts since latest update

Hi

I have a really weird (and annoying!) issue that has cropped up since the latest update.

I'm on the latest Win10, with a 3 screen setup. For some reason the popups/modals/alerts have started showing up on the screen where the actual program is not!

Here are some example screenshots:

1) This one I just rebooted the server, so WinSCP is trying to reconnect. You can see the WinSCP program on the right screen. Then the middle screen I get the alert telling me its disconnected and wants to reconnect. This used to show up on the same screen as the program:

Screen position wrong for popups/modals/alerts since latest update [​IMG]

2) This one I just made a dummy document in GIMP, and then went to close it. As expected, it asks if I want to save. The only problem is that the alert shows up on another screen.

3) This is trying to create a new document in GIMP. Again, the popup shows on the wrong screen. It always used to open on top of the program.

2017 05 12 at 08 51 11 — imgbb.com (for some reason it won't let me link this image??)

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Its so frustrating, as I've had times when I'm trying to close a program down and it looks like its frozen. Turns out an alert came up on another screen, and I just didn't notice! *Sad

Cheers

Andy

:)

youradds, May 11, 2017

2. How can I stop the pop ups on my WP8 Lumia 822?

I keep getting annoying popups about updating my Internet Explorer 10 browser along with virus alerts and a black screen that says something about Microsoft Antivirus finding activity on my phone. Since it is impossible for WP8 to get viruses, what in the
    heck does all this mean? Would appreciate any kind advice.

KamalaManring, May 11, 2017
  3. N95 email & Text Alerts

I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with what the poster asked for, haven't you just told him how to add a shortcut to the app on his phone?

If anyone does know how to display txt and email alerts on the standby screen rather than in a cumbersome modal message box, it would be appreciated.

pjcard---01, May 11, 2017
  4. youradds Win User

Seriously, no one else has this issue? Its driving me up the wall!!!

youradds, Dec 21, 2017
  5. AndreTen Win User
    This problem is still there? After main FCU 1709 update?

Only time I had this problem was with Sticky notes, but MS fixed it in the last month or so. Think it's per application problem. For Gimp see this part of documentation (I found similar for Adobe, Autodesk, etc - usually application, not system problem)

From Gimp documentation

AndreTen, Dec 22, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    No one is on here 24/7 waiting for posts. Your post probably got buried, because it was not considered a priority type issue. Those pop-ups are supposed to be able to be moved. Windows will remember the position when you do so, same as you can turn them off.

bro67, Dec 22, 2017
  7. youradds Win User
    Yup, seems to be. I've got the 1709 update installed. If anything, that broke a load more stuff (messed up Edge/Calc/Mail icons, and a load of other stuff)

For the GIMP one - thanks, that kinda fixed it. Although, I just don't get why it can't open automatically on the same screen the program is on. Its counter-intuitive, in that you want the alert/save/dialogues to open on the same screen, rather than "saving" a screen for them to open on. I can't seem to find any options in SubLime / WinSCP to do this though (like in GIMP), so I'm assuming there is no "feature" to do it. It never used to have this "functionality" on my 4 screen setup with Win7

Cheers

Andy

youradds, Dec 22, 2017
  8. youradds Win User

I do know that *Wink (I run a forum myself).
    Thats the problem though - it doesn't. I've moved them hundreds of times to the screen I want (then pressed "save", "Ok" or whatever the popup is for), but they always seems to end back on screen 1 the next time.

FWIW: With some programs it works fine - and then later in the day it screws up. So its almost like it has the correct behaviour to start with in the day when I first boot up, and then it screws up during the day (I shut my PC down every night)

Cheers

Andy

youradds, Dec 22, 2017
  9. AndreTen Win User
    Glad it worked with Gimp.

Andy,
    maybe the reason for not gettin any answers is that you are experienced IT user (from your work - far more than me ) and users don't want to give simple explanations..

General rule for good programed application is that dialog boxes appear on the same screen that app is opened. So if you later move your program on other screen, it will be a mess.

Start with this: open and move your application to desired screen, then close it. When opened, it should start on desired screen and also all dialogs should start on that screen.

AndreTen, Dec 22, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    I am experienced, because I self taught myself for over 38 years now, how to do this stuff, not through any employer. I knew more than the idiot LAN coordinators at my last job, because I am always seeking out answers and information, by searching for it. You just have to make the problem easy not hard. If all else fails, reimage the drive.

bro67, Dec 22, 2017
  11. youradds Win User
    Same here *Wink I'm a website designer, not IT tech. I try my best to work stuff out, but when I fail I try places like this.

That's what I'm trying to avoid. I have so much software (Java, phone app dev kits) that have taken years to get perfect. The last time I did a rebuild of this machine, it took me almost 3 weeks of tweaking to get it back up with the software I needed. I guess if worst comes to worst, I don't have a choice (as this is doing my head in).

Cheers

Andy

youradds, Dec 23, 2017
  12. youradds Win User
    I'm only a website / phone app programmer *Smile

Indeed. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to happen (even with big well known programs including their own stuff, such as Excel, Word, etc). It's certainly a bug (I've reported it to M$ but I don't expect a reply or even a fix, seeing as they can't even fix basic stuff like the Edge shortcut icons breaking after the last update)
    As bro67 suggested, my only option may be a full rebuild from scratch *Sad

Cheers

Andy

youradds, Dec 23, 2017
  13. AndreTen Win User

We could try to nail them down on by one (if systematic approach fails) *Smile. You said, fix for Gimps worked. What other apps show dialog windows on the wrong screen?

AndreTen, Dec 23, 2017
  14. youradds Win User
    Hi,
    The main ones are :

There are quite a few others , but those are the biggies that I use every day (and frustrate me the most). You can see why its so frustrating, as this is my setup:

...and here is the actual screen setup:

FWIW, I have to set screen 1 (the top one) to a smaller resolution, otherwise Windows gets confused, and when you apply the new position, it changes them all into 1 row! (I've researched and researched this, and the only working solution I found was to use a smaller screen resolution for the top screen, which is far from ideal, but better than having them all in one row :/)

Thanks!

Andy

youradds, Dec 23, 2017
  15. AndreTen Win User
    For SublimeText there are multiple bugs related to windows positions reported. i.e. SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/1099 related to SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/720

Proposed workaround (from one of the threads..)

Use Win+Shift+left /right arrow to move active windows to correct display

For WinScp also several bugs reported related to window and dialog position. Some fixed, some still in process... Try to post a mesage in their forum.

YOu have more complex setup there, than I have (only dual monitor) so can't try it out (could also be connection dependent. Good luck

AndreTen, Dec 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Screen position wrong for popups/modals/alerts since latest update - Similar Threads - Screen position wrong

2. Since the latest 2 updates, my screen flickers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Since the latest 2 updates, my screen flickers: Since these 2 updates : 2023-09 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 KB50312172023-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5030219My screen began to flicker. I can be browsing Edge, watching...
  3. Since the latest 2 updates, my screen flickers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Since the latest 2 updates, my screen flickers: Since these 2 updates : 2023-09 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 KB50312172023-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5030219My screen began to flicker. I can be browsing Edge, watching...
  4. Security Alert popup warns of hack. Latest says to click on link which is to...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security Alert popup warns of hack. Latest says to click on link which is to...: I recently started receiving this popup system trojan alert warning I have been hacked and to click on link. Onebiensicenter.com. initial alert said from Microsoft this latest says to click on link to activate Macafee. Virus scan comes up empty. Suggestions?...
  5. Change the position of the notification popup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change the position of the notification popup: Hello, I am a programmer and for a long time I have been wondering, working every day, if it is possible to change the position of the windows notification popup. I use the system a lot and being a lover of native macOs or Linux notics I would like to be able to adapt them to...
  6. blue screens since latest windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    blue screens since latest windows update: hey there, i updated my windows 2 days ago, since that time i get bluescreens pretty frequently, in the event log its marked as Kernel-Power 41, i already tried to clean install windows again, then it forced me to update it to the most recent patch, now its blue screening...
  7. Login screen to windows with the wrong username since the update

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login screen to windows with the wrong username since the update: Hello, Since I performed these updates the login screen always has the incorrect username it is cut off. [ATTACH] Can you help me? I'm tired of inserting the username email and password every time. Thank you....
  8. Getting this popup every five minutes since the latest update, ran DISM.exe...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Getting this popup every five minutes since the latest update, ran DISM.exe...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/LocksmithVisible [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/irxz2t/getting_this_popup_every_five_minutes_since_the/
  9. Screen display out of whack since latest update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen display out of whack since latest update: Icons on edges and taskbar partially off screen since latest windows 10 update. Tried adjusting screen resolution and scale to no avail. Top of windows that open are also not visible, off the perimeter of the screen. Mouse arrow can go beyond edge to pull windows down....
  10. Windows Security Alert popup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security Alert popup: I'm dying with this problem, here's an image of what keeps popping up every time I open an app [img] I keep pressing to allow the app through private and public but once I open the app again the popup appears, I've formatted my laptop twice and went back to Windows 8.1 but...