Windows 10: Screen resolution unexpectedly changes

Discus and support Screen resolution unexpectedly changes in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Since upgrading my PC to Windows 10, I am having an occasional issue while browsing that is non-fatal but very annoying. This happened frequently in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by rochrunner, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Screen resolution unexpectedly changes

Since upgrading my PC to Windows 10, I am having an occasional issue while browsing that is non-fatal but very annoying. This happened frequently in Chrome, and much less so with Firefox. Usually while scrolling on some page, the following sequence occurs:

1) A short sound is played from the speakers (like the chiming sound you get when an error or other event occurs).
    2) The screen blanks out for an instant.
    3) The monitor clicks and then comes back on in a very low-res mode with distorted windows, etc.
    4) The sound plays again.
    5) The screen blanks out again.
    6) A click from the monitor and it's back in its default resolution, but of course my windows and desktop icons are usually moved or resized due to having been in the low-res mode for a second or two.

I originally suspected the graphics driver (AMD Radeon), but I do have the latest version and it doesn't seem like something that the driver would do on its own, especially since I get that tone from the speakers as though some piece of software is trying to do something specific.

I'd like to see if I can figure this out before I take the step of reverting to Windows 7. Any other reports like this?

:)

rochrunner, Oct 27, 2015
  2. KCAce Win User

Unexplained change in icon size

The icons on my home screen changed size unexpectedly. This is true on all screens. How to change back to previous settings? I have tried Desktop, view, small icons to no avail

KCAce, Oct 27, 2015
  3. screen resolution changed

IMHO, you should format your system to its former state (let's say 3 months ago) and see if the problem persists.

You can also check beforehand your real resolution by using third party tools such as this one - What is my screen resolution – 100% Accuracy Tool

There may also be some bug in the system that doesn't show you the real resolution your desktop/laptop really is showing.

AvishaySegal, Oct 27, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Screen resolution unexpectedly changes

Maybe this is done when the browser tries to accelerate graphics to display a page. Try turning hardware acceleration off. In Firefox, click on the top right button (menu) then on Options. Go to Advanced, General tab and uncheck the "Use hardware acceleration when possible" box. I don't have Chrome, so I cannot tell how to do it there, but have a look at advanced settings and you should find it. Check some pages to confirm that the issue is fixed.

spapakons, Oct 28, 2015
  5. Great idea, and makes sense! I'll report back if I discover anything.

rochrunner, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Screen resolution unexpectedly changes

1. Screen resolution unexpectedly changes - Similar Threads - Screen resolution unexpectedly

2. Screen resolution changed unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen resolution changed unexpectedly: While I was playing a game on my laptop I changed my in-game resolution in order for my game to run smoother, but when I exited the game I discovered that my display resolution was also changed accordingly to my game resolution. Now my screen is on 1440*900 instead of...
  3. Screen resolution changed unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen resolution changed unexpectedly: While I was playing a game on my laptop I changed my in-game resolution in order for my game to run smoother, but when I exited the game I discovered that my display resolution was also changed accordingly to my game resolution. Now my screen is on 1440*900 instead of...
  4. Screen resolution changed unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Native Resolution Screen Resolution Changed by it self>,<"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Native Resolution Screen Resolution Changed by it self>,<": Hello, today I have a small problem but it makes me crazy I have searched everywhere and can find a solution to it. my laptop Latitude E7470 i5 6th Gen. Screen resolution was 1980 x 1080 recommended and it was fine, but I have been installing Ubuntu for a short time and...
  6. Native Resolution Screen Resolution Changed by it self>,<"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Native Resolution Screen Resolution Changed by it self>,<": Hello, today I have a small problem but it makes me crazy I have searched everywhere and can find a solution to it. my laptop Latitude E7470 i5 6th Gen. Screen resolution was 1980 x 1080 recommended and it was fine, but I have been installing Ubuntu for a short time and...
  7. Change screen resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change screen resolution: Since I installed Win 10 (over Win 7) icons JPGs are distorted- too wide The res recommended for this monitor is not available when I go to personalize on the desktop....
  8. change screen resolution

change screen resolution: I have a laptop running Windows 10 and screen resolution of 800*600. I’d like to increase this resolution so that I will be able to watch some programs. Before the upgrade I used Ubuntu and Windows 8 on this computer and didn’t have any problems with changing resolution...
  9. change screen resolution

change screen resolution: how do I change my screen resolution ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/change-screen-resolution/34c8b5fe-01c1-4a31-bb33-5f496e03e8b9
  10. Screen resolution will not change

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen resolution will not change: My screen resolution is currently 1024 x 768, but needs to be 2048 x 1536. It will not change when I go to settings, I merely get a message that says "Input not Support". When I tried the help online, it said I need to update the graphics driver, but two attempts to do so...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. monitor resolution settings changed unexpectedly