Windows 10: Screen rotation not working, rotation lock disabled

Discus and support Screen rotation not working, rotation lock disabled in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Unlike Windows 8.1, the screen on my Yoga 2 Pro doesn't rotate when I turn the device upside down to "tent" mode after installing Windows 10. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pseudoware, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Screen rotation not working, rotation lock disabled

Unlike Windows 8.1, the screen on my Yoga 2 Pro doesn't rotate when I turn the device upside down to "tent" mode after installing Windows 10. When swiping right to show the Action Center, the Rotation Lock tile is disabled, as is this setting in the Control Panel. Anyone else experience this, and is there a solution? Thanks.

:)

pseudoware, Jul 29, 2015
  2. .TB. Win User

Rotation lock greyed out

Worked! Selecting portrait mode in settings, or turning laptop on its side didn't enable rotate unlock, but Johnny Duh's solution did the job! Thank you! Is the laptop going to revert to disabling auto lock later, on every reboot... ? You'd think this would
    be fixed by now.

New insight: applying the above allowed the screen to rotate, but the lock rotation button in settings remained grayed-out and locked when the laptop was sitting in normal laptop orientation. When I turned the laptop, the screen rotated and the lock rotation
    button changed to active and unlocked itself. BUT, this only happened if the screen was rotated backwards as you would do for tent or tablet mode. Further experimentation showed that the screen had to be rotated about 210° to unlock rotation, at least on
    my Dell 13" Inspiron. When you bring the screen back to about 170°, it locks again and the button grays out. There must be a sensor in the hinge. That's why the tent mode solution worked.

3. Yoga 2 Pro screen rotation problem after upgrade to Windows 10

I recently updated to Windows 10 on a Lenovo yoga 2 pro and the screen rotation when I go into tablet mode is not working at all. It was perfect on Windows8.1 but now it is completely gone, even the button to lock the rotation is disabled.

Carlos AlbertoGiron Gutierrez, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Screen rotation not working, rotation lock disabled

Hello pseudoware, and welcome to Ten Forums.

I haven't tested this in Windows 10, but you might see if you may be able to using OPTION FOUR in the tutorial below to enable autorotation. *Smile

Screen AutoRotation - Lock or Unlock in Windows 8

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Thanks for the reply. I made the registry changed described in option 4. I'm not sure if that helped, it makes sense that s/b enabled in the registry for auto-rotation to work, but it seems like display rotation setting gets set to "locked" when the ymc service is running. If I restart it, when the service is trying stop, the rotation lock setting becomes enabled and I can change it. But, the moment service is running again, rotation lock is spontaneously turned on, and the control on the page to toggle this setting becomes grayed out/disabled, and I can't turn off rotation lock.

I've set the startup type for the ymc service to "manual". I guess I could disable it, but I'm not sure what that might do. I guess that service disables the keys when in tablet mode, not sure what else.

pseudoware, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Bengt Win User
    Hi pseudoware!
    I had been searching the web for this problem but I guess we are not the only ones facing these initial problems now, just some days after the Windows 10 upgrade....maybe it's just that people haven't found a good solution yet after all driver updates etc. I'm not a frequent user of the tablet and tent modes so it passed some days before I noticed I had exactly the same problem as you describe when I flipped the screen. I had tried a lot of different methods with no result as I happened to more or less by accident "solve" the issue in a really simple way!
    I apologize if I will not use the correct words as I have a Swedish version of Windows and I might have translated wrongly. If you right click the desktop you will find two alternative menu rows related to Intel (with the blue logo). Select Graphic alternatives and then "Shortcut keys". Be sure the alternative is set to Active. The you just use the key shortcut Ctrl Alt Down arrow which will result in the screen image flipping 180 degrees! By using Ctrl Alt Up arrow you will be back to normal again. That means you can easily and quickly flip the screen before going to the "upside down" modes. But that was just the issue halfway solved for me as I still had to do the change "manually" I thought. But then guess what happened...to my surprise...the autorotation started to work by itself after I had flipped back the screen to tent mode!! Strangely enough the autorotation button in settings is still greyed out in settings...but I don't care, it works anyway! *Wink
    Now I just hope that this "trick" will work for you and others with the same problem on this model.
    Good luck and let me know if you succeeded.
    Best regards

P.D. You can see all the other shortcut key combinations if you select the other Intel menu row
    "Graphics properties" and then enter "Alternatives and support" and "Shortcut key manager". Very useful!

Bengt, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Thanks for the reply. I updated some Windows 10 drivers from the Lenovo site - one was for the touchpad and keyboard, can't recall what else I installed, but my problem appears to be fixed. It works as it did on Windows 8.1

pseudoware, Aug 3, 2015
  8. wpcoe Win User

To quote what I posted on the Lenovo forum, in case some fresh eyes over here spot something:

I've got the same problem: "Lock rotation of this display" is greyed out.

Sensor Data Service, Sensor Monitoring Service and Sensor Service are all running. I installed the Win8.1 x64 version 2.0.13.8211 of the Transition software. I even ran it a second time in repair mode.

I've pressed the physical rotation-lock button on the sid of the computer to make sure that's not engaged.*

Tablet Mode works in that the app icons on the taskbar disappear when I fold back the screen. It's just the rotation that won't work. And, the ymc service is running, too.

*Apparently, when that rotation-lock button is pressed some on-screen indication is supposed to pop up, but on my system it doesn't. I can't recall the last time I pressed the button (if ever) when Win8.1 was installed, so I don't know if there was a pop-up then, or not.

wpcoe, Aug 5, 2015
  9. luke4 Win User
    If you rotate the screen 360 degrees, click on notification/action center icon lower right corner. Is the 'rotation lock' now enabled? If so turn it on. Otherwise Lenovo probably need to look into this...

luke4, Aug 9, 2015
  10. Taltney Win User
    I am using a surface pro tablet and encountered the same issue. To fix it I opened the settings for Display and while open rotated the tablet. This made the grayed out screen lock become active and I was then able to set it to unlocked.

Taltney, Aug 15, 2015
  11. wpcoe Win User
    Whether it has been some of the Windows Updates, or merely some random alignment of the planets, auto-rotate now works as designed on my Lenova Yoga 2 Pro.

wpcoe, Aug 19, 2015
  12. johnf Win User
    My Yoga 2 Pro is no better than the day I installed Windows 10 (July 31). Usually after the machine wakes from sleep I have no screen rotation. Takes a complete reboot to get it working again. No Lenovo updates for this (and other) post-Windows 10 update issues for this machine.

johnf, Oct 11, 2015
  13. jmsnyc Win User

I just updated to 10565 and my rotation woes came back. I use an external monitor and I like to keep it closed. When laptop is open the laptop display is upside down and my external monitor is normal. When it is closed my exterranl display goes upside down. If I get it back to normal once I click something it goes upside down again.....

jmsnyc, Oct 15, 2015
  14. THANK YOU for this solution! It WORKED!

I had to move my SLOWLY 2-In-1 slowly for the "Lock Rotation of this Display" button to become enabled. Once it became enabled (blue), I was able to select it OFF and the problem was solved!

It appears that the function of this switch is relative to the mode currently in use on my 2-In-1. In other words, when used as a laptop, the lock rotation is ON. When used in tent mode, the screen is also ON, so I had to put my computer in tent mode (slowly, to make the switch on the screen turn from gray to blue), THEN switch the lock rotation to OFF.

In researching the solution to this problem, I found several solutions that required editing the registry via regedit. My Vulcan senses told me that was not logical, total BS. Why should I need to edit the registry on a 3-day old laptop?! This did not make sense to me. The solution offered by Taltney not only makes sense; for me it worked. I would be highly suspicious of any solution that required a registry edit on a new computer.

Again, THANK YOU Taltney for your easy solution to a common problem.

Live long and prosper.

CincyPilot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Screen rotation not working, rotation lock disabled - Similar Threads - Screen rotation working

2. Rotation lock is on but my screen still rotates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rotation lock is on but my screen still rotates: I was watching a tv show on my laptop and I wanted to turn my computer sideways to view a screen sideways but the screen auto-rotated when I turned it. I did a quick search and the solution seemed to be to turn auto-rotate lock on but it's already on and the option is greyed...
  3. Rotation lock is on but my screen still rotates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rotation lock is on but my screen still rotates: I was watching a tv show on my laptop and I wanted to turn my computer sideways to view a screen sideways but the screen auto-rotated when I turned it. I did a quick search and the solution seemed to be to turn auto-rotate lock on but it's already on and the option is greyed...
  4. Rotation lock is on but my screen still rotates

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Rotation lock

Rotation lock: I have an inspiron 11 3000. How do you remove the rotation lock? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rotation-lock/88ab1fcf-c528-4289-a8db-545592ca7a9d
  6. rotation lock

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    rotation lock: I'm interested in enabling the detaching tablet to rotate orientation from Landscape to Portrait. The rotation lock -under 'Settings', as per 'Help'- won't allow that. Why?...
  7. How to disable rotation lock?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable rotation lock?: I'm trying to enable rotation lock but the option is greyed out. Following solutions I tried were to restart as well as temporarily put the computer in portrait. 147164
  8. Disabling the "automatic rotation lock disabling"

Disabling the "automatic rotation lock disabling": Hello Can I somehow disable the rotation lock greying out? I want to always choose if automatic rotation should be on or off. Basically I want so that computer NEVER decides if rotation lock should be on or off and I always need to decide if its on or off. [ATTACH]...
  9. Rotation lock is not working

Rotation lock is not working: My Haier Y11C laptop getting some trouble regarding rotation lock, I was using tablet mode and lock the rotate the rotation in portrait while reading. In that condition I switched off the laptop. When I switched on the mode is still tablet but the rotation lock option is...
  10. Rotation Lock missing, Auto-rotate doesn't work.

Rotation Lock missing, Auto-rotate doesn't work.: My SP3 just performed an update. Now the Rotation Lock is missing from the Action Center and Auto-rotate does not work. How can I fix this issue?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. autorotation tile is disabled

2. rotation lock grayed out lenovo miix 3