Windows 10: Screen Saver Settings - Mythical on my system?

Discus and support Screen Saver Settings - Mythical on my system? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do I tailor the screendaver? The instructions I've found say things like: "type screen saver in the taskbar search and click on the Change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Swifty, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Swifty Win User

Screen Saver Settings - Mythical on my system?

How do I tailor the screendaver?

The instructions I've found say things like: "type screen saver in the taskbar search and click on the Change screen saver result which appears." but on my Windows 10 there seems to be no "Change Screen Saver".
    Having typed "screen saver" into the taskbar, my only choice is to fiddle with the slideshow...

My system is reasonably up to date, bar the recent big update which won't install.

:)

Swifty, Nov 20, 2017

2. screensaver

Having Photo Gallery for screen saver is being reported as problem. All other screen saver options should work.

Settings App /Settings/Personalisation/Lock Screen/Screen Saver Settings

Change Screen Saver from using Photo Gallery to my Pictures Folder (or any other option)

E for Excel, Nov 20, 2017
  3. Eaten04 Win User
    Screen Saver Doesn't Work - Windows 10 Pro

I am trying to set up a 3rd party screen saver (from ReallySlickScreensavers).

The screen savers downloaded fine and I put the .scr files in the system32 folder.

They show up in the screen saver menu and I can set them as my screen saver.

The previews work but when I set one as my screen saver and leave my computer for 1 minute (which is what I set it to and yes I clicked apply and ok after) the screen just flashes black then goes back to whatever
    was up before.

Is there any way to fix this?

Eaten04, Nov 20, 2017
  4. Corelogik Win User

Not sure about your system but on mine, just got 1709 (Fall Creators Update) today, Screensaver settings are located under the Lock Screen settings tab. I believe prior to 1709, they were part of the themes subsystem.

See attached.
    Screen Saver Settings - Mythical on my system? [​IMG]

Corelogik, Nov 20, 2017
  5. Swifty Win User
    Thanks, perhaps the fall creators update finally worked (it said it would try again). I'm not at my PC right now, so I can't try this.

It seems as if MS has taken a leaf out of the supermarkets book, by re-arranging things just to irritate the elderly.

Perhaps they should introduce the concept of "UI schemes" where nothing is allowed to move... I think I'd go with the Windows7 one.

Swifty, Nov 20, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
  7. Swifty Win User
    So, the ability to lock my screen after a period of inactivity has moved from "Themes" to "Personalisation", neatly avoiding "Security" along the way (admittedly bundled with "Update").

Couldn't MS have created a shortcut mechanism in "Settings" so that "Lock Screen" could also appear under security, where logically it belongs?

This is why I keep all of my documents online, so I can put "Car Insurance" under both "Cars" and "Insurance" (with a shortcut)...

I should start a sweepstake on where "Lock Screen" goes next. £1 per ticket and the first correct answer out of the hat wins £5. *Smile

Swifty, Nov 20, 2017
  8. Swifty Win User

For those of us died-in-the-wool Control Panel addicts (mostly Windows 7 people) the screensaver and lock screen stuff are now to be found in (Windows) settings, under "Personalization" since Fall Creators update.

It seems likely that Windows will eventually be totally out of Control (Panel).

Type "Settings" in the taskbar and it's top of the list.

I posted this to help others like me, and also for me, when I've totally forgotten this episode, and am wondering how to find screensave settings... in about a week.

Swifty, Nov 21, 2017
  9. Barman58 Win User
    As the whole idea of a screensaver has been depreciated, by the changes in hardware over the last twenty years or so, I think that the old Screensaver idea will quietly fade away (Fade to Black??). The main purpose of the screen saver was to prevent monitor burn in which is no longer a serious problem. The newer AMOLED screens used on Mobile Devices, can suffer from burn in, so if this technology makes the jump to PC screens then maybe the screensaver will make a comeback

the security side of things being Quoted as a reason for a screen saver is only partly valid as the most secure system is one that is switched off, or appears to be, if quick access is a requirement then modern sleep/hibernation options have it covered, and even today a monitor in sleep mode without a live screen show is much more economic that one with a live screen. I can recall being called into many a site to fix issues at times when the site is "closed" and often walking into an open plan office that was lit up like the Las Vegas Strip, I hate to think of the cost of running hundreds of CRT monitors all night just to show no one in particular, the life of a desert island castaway *Wink

Barman58, Nov 21, 2017
  10. Swifty Win User
    I use a scheduled task, triggered by the desktop lock event to put my displays into power saving mode. Combined with a device that locks the display whenever I'm more than a couple of paces away, this totally automates the setup.
    It's a home PC, so for security, I rely on our two dogs. They'll pester the burglars to death unless they bring dog treats and spend their time stroking them...

Swifty, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Screen Saver Settings - Mythical on my system? - Similar Threads - Screen Saver Settings

2. How to set desktop screen saver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set desktop screen saver: How can I set my desktop screen saver. I've gone to settings and tried to no avail* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-desktop-screen-saver/16486e24-c9ae-4ade-81db-e57cc23665ae
  3. How to set desktop screen saver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set desktop screen saver: How can I set my desktop screen saver. I've gone to settings and tried to no avail* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-desktop-screen-saver/16486e24-c9ae-4ade-81db-e57cc23665ae
  4. Bug in "Screen Saver Settings"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bug in "Screen Saver Settings": If a user does not have any image files in their "Libraries\Pictures" folder, the user is given a repeating error message in "Screen Saver Settings". See the screenshot below. [ATTACH]...
  5. Screen saver setting no work

Screen saver setting no work: When the screen saver option loads, it doesn't work, same with backgrounds. Waiting does not work.[IMG][IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-saver-setting-no-work/cd39cf15-1168-4cc2-9642-7c1ad7356f2a
  6. how to change screen saver settings

how to change screen saver settings: want to change amount of time before screen saver turns on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-screen-saver-settings/0b1bf1e5-ce2b-499b-b89a-477afd7195cc
  7. Changing Screen Saver settings on PC

Changing Screen Saver settings on PC: There must be some way to increase the time to allow Windows update t****sh the desktop goes to bubbles and turn to black and blocks the update to finish. the circling little dots are not enough to keep it open long enough to install. ***Original title: How do I change...
  8. Screen Saver Settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen Saver Settings: I have a Windows 10 version 1809 and when doing some testing on screen saver settings for 2 minutes before going to a screen saver with a password. on my test computer via GPO one of the GP spilled over to my production computer. I have removed the GPO and the from the...
  9. Screen Saver Settings

Screen Saver Settings: My Screen Saver Settings get reset every time I reboot. Specially, the "tick" in "on resume, Display log-on screen" gets unticked so that my screen doesn't lock. Any idea how I can stop this happening?...
  10. Windows 10 screen saver settings

Windows 10 screen saver settings: How do I add transition effects on a "screen saver slideshow" for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-screen-saver-settings/091b4436-9d0b-4452-8f1e-fcee0c94e7af