Windows 10: Screen Suddenly Goes Dark but Doesn't Shut Off - Windows 10 Problem???

Discus and support Screen Suddenly Goes Dark but Doesn't Shut Off - Windows 10 Problem??? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, All - I'm one of the typical people who can use programs but don't know the "mechanics" of computers. I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 14 7000 a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Judie, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Judie Win User

Screen Suddenly Goes Dark but Doesn't Shut Off - Windows 10 Problem???

Hi, All -

I'm one of the typical people who can use programs but don't know the "mechanics" of computers. I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 14 7000 a few weeks ago with Windows 10 installed. Since then, on an average of once every day or two, the screen goes dark (not black but very dark gray) but the computer is still on. The only way I can get back to work is to manually shut off the laptop and turn it back on. So I contacted Dell (from whom I bought the laptop) and they told me to download some tool (which I did) onto a USB and reinstall Windows 10. However, I can't get a straight answer from them as to whether I need to uninstall what's on the laptop before using the usb. There is no backup/old version of Windows on the laptop which seems to be what posts say to do--go back to an older version. So, do I uninstall Windows 10 or not? And if I do, what folder on the usb do I start with to begin re-installing? Thanks, people!

:)

Judie, Feb 24, 2018
  2. gailmatuz Win User

windows 10 shuts off with no warning

I updated to Windows 10 this weekend. Since then, my computer has been ramdomly shutting itself off with no warning, error code, or pop up. Just goes to a black screen. It doesn't even truly shut off. It just goes to a black screen of death and I have
    to shut it off and back on. ****?

gailmatuz, Feb 24, 2018
  3. BernieJ1 Win User
    After Windows 10 upgrade external monitor does not initialize.

Unfortunately, after following the instructions, there is no change. I continue to get a popping sound as the video adapter connects to the external monitor, the notebook screen goes dark, then pops. the external monitor then goes dark. If I turn the
    external monitor off, the notebook screen remains dark.

If I close the notebook, and turn it on with the lid. The notebook screen should not turn on. The external screen shows the boot screen and Windows 10 begins to boot. As soon as the blue window logo goes dark, the popping back and forth begins.

Bernie

BernieJ1, Feb 24, 2018
  4. Steve C Win User

I would try installing/reinstalling the latest graphics driver from Dell's site. Also run sfc/scannow from an admin command prompt to check/repair your system files.

Steve C, Feb 25, 2018
  5. Try3 Win User
    Judie,

I also use Dell laptops and I agree with Steve. It really does sound like a display driver problem but it is possible that you need to update the 'BIOS'. The fact that Dell support disagree is as relevant as the ship's cat disagreeing.

So
    1 Go to www.dell.com/support then put in your Dell 'Service tag' which will be found on a Dell label on the bottom of your computer & in your Dell purchase documentation. This will take you to

Screen Suddenly Goes Dark but Doesn't Shut Off - Windows 10 Problem??? [​IMG]

2 Select Drivers & downloads and then save the link to your Favorites.

3 In Drivers & downloads, check that the correct OS is selected [it probably will be]

Screen Suddenly Goes Dark but Doesn't Shut Off - Windows 10 Problem??? [​IMG]

4 Then look at the list of updates. I always click twice on the heading Last updated to get it in sequence of latest one first. You can then click on View more to get additional entries in the list to show up.

5 What you are looking for are entries for Graphics driver / Video driver / Display driver that match the name of your display driver shown in Device manager. To see these, right-click on your computer's Start button, Device manager, {give Admin permission if necessary}, double-click on Display adapters. Then double-click on the individual entry to see their properties, select the Driver tab and note down the version number & date.

6 Back on the Dell website, find the latest display driver and download then install it even if it is the same version as the one you already have [it is the version number that is significant not the 'Last updated' entry in the list]. Installing it will overwrite any corruption that might have occurred.

7 Before leaving the Dell website, check through the Drivers & download list for the latest BIOS update as that might also account for your problem symptom.
    • It will probably be called Dell Inspiron 7{something} System BIOS [mine lists about 5 model numbers since we all have the same BIOS].
    • Check which version you have installed - right-click on your computer's Start button & select Windows Powershell and then type in systeminfo.exe then press the Return key. [ You could equally well use the Command prompt for this but it is the entry for Windows Powershell that appears by default in the Start menu list that you'll see.]
    • About 16 lines down it will tell you your current BIOS version & date.
    • If the one now available is a later version number then download it. As before, it is the version number that is significant not the 'Last updated' entry in the list.
    • BIOS updates from Dell are simple to install but if you have never done this before then you might well have lots of questions first so do ask away.

Denis

6. zbook New Member
    Run this beta log collector using extract and post a zip into this thread for troubleshooting:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip
    In case the beta log collector does not work please use the DM log collector for troubleshooting:
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Screen Suddenly Goes Dark but Doesn't Shut Off - Windows 10 Problem??? - Similar Threads - Screen Suddenly Goes

2. Windows 11 screen glitches and goes dark

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 screen glitches and goes dark: Hi, I'm using a laptop model ASUS X515JA running on Windows 11Recently, my screen has started glitching and going black at random times. Sometimes if I spam the keyboard it will reappear after a while, but it's getting very annoying. I'm not sure if there's something wrong...
  3. Windows 11 screen glitches and goes dark

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 screen glitches and goes dark: Hi, I'm using a laptop model ASUS X515JA running on Windows 11Recently, my screen has started glitching and going black at random times. Sometimes if I spam the keyboard it will reappear after a while, but it's getting very annoying. I'm not sure if there's something wrong...
  4. Screen freezes & goes dark

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen freezes & goes dark: Hey friends... Yesterday I made another topic - Weird issues since last update probably ? I am not sure, if this is related to the other one or not. Last night, I was watching some sport highlights on youtube & fell asleep, when I woke up & woke the laptop from sleep mode - I...
  5. my screen goes dark

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    my screen goes dark: recently when I unplug my charger the screen goes really really dark and I barely can see the screen. I have tried power troubleshooting but it was no use. what should I do? it's windows 10 Lenovo laptop...
  6. Screen Shut Off Problem With New Monitor ?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen Shut Off Problem With New Monitor ?: Hi Folks, In my 80's now, so please bear with me a bit. Have a new LG 27" 4K Monitor, but pretty sure that this is a W10 issue. (but maybe not ?) I want the screen to shut off after 5 minutes. So, I have it set to that. But, it always comes back on by itself. Absolutely no...
  7. laptop screen goes dark randomly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    laptop screen goes dark randomly: I have a Lenovo Ideapad S340 with a Ryzen 3 3250u, VEGA 3 graphics, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD. I have had to repair the laptop from a crash about 2 months ago which required me to reinstall windows 10. Last night, I was browsing a website and my secondary monitor went green and my...
  8. Screen goes off and on when pc goes off and on?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen goes off and on when pc goes off and on?: How do I set the screen to go on and off so I don't have to press 2 buttons every time? Bildschirm geht aus und an wenn pc aus und an geht?
  9. screen goes Dark

in Windows 10 Customization
    screen goes Dark: hello...the windows starting screen that means the laptop screen showing dark. Even though I set any wallpaper .still it is black . when I go to personalisation setting there it shows the exact wallpaper that I set. But it doesnot work on main screen...but I am able to access...
  10. screen goes black, peripherals shut off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    screen goes black, peripherals shut off: I recently purchased a new motherboard, ram, processor, and SSD + win 10 to boot from. I installed my SSD and am running it alongside my old hard drive. My issue is that my screen and all my peripherals will randomly shut off for no reason. The computer is still on and the...