Windows 10: Screen turns black on a specific time of the day

Discus and support Screen turns black on a specific time of the day in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; hi everyone! so here is the problem. recently, my laptop screen on a specific time of between 5pm to 7pm since tuesday... the screen blinks a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ZuluFoxtrot, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Screen turns black on a specific time of the day

hi everyone!

so here is the problem. recently, my laptop screen on a specific time of between 5pm to 7pm since tuesday... the screen blinks a couple of times and then turns black but the cursor is still visible. and when i try to press ctrl+alt+del, then screen then turns gray and the cursor is still visible and moving around it can detect links but nothing happening when i click it. the only thing i can get out of it is manually turning the laptop off (long pressing the power button). i tried doing a check disk (/f /r /x) viewed the log, and i really don't know what i am looking at but this caught my attention (attached screenshots). something have to do with the windows photo app.. do you think this could be the cause? im gonna try to uninstall it and see if the problem is still going to exist.

here's the event log of the check disk:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
    Date: 23/08/2017 7:23:16 PM
    Event ID: 1001
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: GHOST
    Description:

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    162560 file records processed.

File verification completed.
    4910 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    217258 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Cleaning up 700 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 700 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 700 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    27350 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    39632856 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
    162544 files processed.

File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
    19135092 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

104857599 KB total disk space.
    27962372 KB in 123814 files.
    81796 KB in 27351 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    273059 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    76540372 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    26214399 total allocation units on disk.
    19135093 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 7b 02 00 41 4e 02 00 d2 69 04 00 00 00 00 00 .{..AN...i......
    ef 00 00 00 39 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....9...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Wininit" Guid="{206f6dea-d3c5-4d10-bc72-989f03c8b84b}" EventSourceName="Wininit" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="16384">1001</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-08-23T11:23:16.442200900Z" />
    <EventRecordID>5778</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>GHOST</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    162560 file records processed.

File verification completed.
    4910 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    217258 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Cleaning up 700 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 700 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 700 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    27350 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    39632856 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
    162544 files processed.

File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
    19135092 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

104857599 KB total disk space.
    27962372 KB in 123814 files.
    81796 KB in 27351 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    273059 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    76540372 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    26214399 total allocation units on disk.
    19135093 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 7b 02 00 41 4e 02 00 d2 69 04 00 00 00 00 00 .{..AN...i......
    ef 00 00 00 39 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....9...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.
    </Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

:)

ZuluFoxtrot, Aug 25, 2017

2. Wake up Windows at a specific time of the day daily.

Hello, I have a laptop and a desktop that backup to a hard drive every night at midnight, I normally turn my laptop off at night to save the battery. Is there a way to make the laptop turn on a few minutes before midnight so it can backup to the hard drive,
    then have the laptop turn off?

Original title: Computer Turn On

CollinEichinger, Aug 25, 2017
  3. Wake up Windows at a specific time of the day daily.

Thank you very much! It helps!

CollinEichinger, Aug 25, 2017
  4. Spectrum Win User

Screen turns black on a specific time of the day

Hi ZuluFoxtrot,

Could you please upload some logs using our log collector and also upload an export of your Application Event Log?

Having more information about your system will help us understand what's going on.

Spectrum, Aug 26, 2017
  5. as requested... please see attached object.

ZuluFoxtrot, Aug 26, 2017
  6. Spectrum Win User
    Well to start, I see that there are some errors with your drive.
    Code: Event[0]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2017-08-22T13:30:41.097 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: GHOST Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR3 during a paging operation.[/quote] Code: Event[50848]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2017-08-26T09:53:58.511 Event ID: 11 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: GHOST Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.[/quote] I would suggest running HD Tune, click the "Error Scan" tab and then "start" to check for bad blocks. Also look at the "Health" tab to see if any problems are found.

Another issue I saw was that you are getting some network controller resets with your Wifi.

Here is the latest driver however it looks like they do not officially support Windows 10. I'd try the newest release for Windows 8.1. You are running version 14.2.1.2 and the latest release is 14.3.2.1.

Code: Event[51746]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-NDIS Date: 2017-08-27T06:05:27.638 Event ID: 10400 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: GHOST Description: The network interface "Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets.Reason: The network driver detected that its hardware has stopped responding to commands.This network interface has reset 1 time(s) since it was last initialized.[/quote]

Spectrum, Aug 26, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    Rule 4
    No piracy or discussion of piracy allowed at all. Such as software, music, videos and other intellectual property violations (e.g. downloading youtube videos locally etc) - it is forum policy that no help shall be given to people who knowingly steal software or services.

One of the main reasons for this is that the act of pirating the software will inevitably change the working of the software and make investigation and repair impossible. Please install a legitimate copy of the software and if you are still experiencing the issue we will be pleased to assist - No further assistance will be provided until we are satisfied that the software is genuine.

No help will be provided whilst piracy is present.

zbook, Aug 26, 2017
  8. Screen turns black on a specific time of the day

uh... ok. well... anyways... it was the windows photo app that was causing the problem. and that rule #4? i guessed i missed reading it... thanks anyway.

ZuluFoxtrot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Screen turns black on a specific time of the day

1. Screen turns black on a specific time of the day - Similar Threads - Screen turns black

2. Black screen audio freeze multiple times a day

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen audio freeze multiple times a day: Honestly I've been trying to fix this issue for ages, it crashes from me playing games and also when im just browsing the internet watching youtube videos and not doing much with my pc.I will try to give as much information as possibleAll my temps seem fine nothing looks like...
  3. Black screen audio freeze multiple times a day

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen audio freeze multiple times a day: Honestly I've been trying to fix this issue for ages, it crashes from me playing games and also when im just browsing the internet watching youtube videos and not doing much with my pc.I will try to give as much information as possibleAll my temps seem fine nothing looks like...
  4. Black screen audio freeze multiple times a day

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Screen turns black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen turns black: Hello, there. Starting today, the screen of my laptop turns black, while playing a game through PS2 simulator which is a fairly heavy program. The game is fun for some time, but after some minutes it starts to get laggy. It slows down more and more until the screen turns...
  6. Screen turns black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen turns black: Hello, there. Starting today, the screen of my laptop turns black, while playing a game through PS2 simulator which is a fairly heavy program. The game is fun for some time, but after some minutes it starts to get laggy. It slows down more and more until the screen turns...
  7. Unable to Connect to Internet at Specific Time of Day

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Connect to Internet at Specific Time of Day: Happy Monday, I'm pretty perplexed. The problem: One of our users loses internet access around 4pm CST. The first occurrence was Friday, and it happened again today Monday. Before ~4pm, everything is fine. The issue lasts at least 60 minutes but the exact length is...
  8. Screen turning black

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Screen turning black: Every now and then when I sign in to my laptop inserting pin code and the screen turns black and nothing works and I have to turn off the laptop by the power button and turn it on again. Windows 10 OS build 19041.388 I would really appreciate your help....
  9. Screen turns black

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen turns black: I can be on my laptop then all of a sudden the screen would turn black and it will stay like that. Or when it is in hibernation mode I can't wake it up. I have a Acer Es1-533-c3vd is runs on windows 10. For example I can be writing an email then, a light will flicker and...
  10. screen turned black

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    screen turned black: composing email screen turned black win 10 hotmail outlook---anyone know why & if I should do anything about it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/screen-turned-black/f3795471-fd6a-4f6a-81d1-468ce905e7c8