Windows 10: Screen turns off on boot-up after changing display settings for HDMI

Discus and support Screen turns off on boot-up after changing display settings for HDMI in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was trying to connect my laptop (running Windows 10) to a screen via HDMI. The problem was that i couldn't get it to run regardless of the settings i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Reaper9806, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Screen turns off on boot-up after changing display settings for HDMI

I was trying to connect my laptop (running Windows 10) to a screen via HDMI. The problem was that i couldn't get it to run regardless of the settings i chose in the display options. I must have chosen the "show only on" option for the screen i thought was the HDMI output screen.

Side-note: It's important to note here that before plugging in any external video ouptut of any kind, Windows 10 was already "registering" 2 screens, one the laptop, and another which just had "Disconnect this screen" in the bottom. When i connected the HDMI a third screen appears, but it also has just the "Disconnect this screen" option in the bottom.

Neither Dubplicate nor extend screen worked. Like i said, I must have tried to select the "show only on" option for the screen i thought was the HDMI output, but my screen just turned off. I tried restarting with HDMI unplugged, but the laptop screen turns off the moment it boots. I'm certain the HDMI problem is on Windows 10's side, since HDMI works fine on Linux mint, which I dual boot, the cables are fine, the screen is fine, and I had used HDMI on windows a few days prior with no changes to the settings and no updates in the mean time.

The problem now is that i can't access windows 10 at all, because the laptop screen stays off. How can I bypass this( keep in mind i have dual boot linux, so i can access windows files from there) and how can i fix the HDMI problem, once I get back in?

:)

Reaper9806, Nov 3, 2016

2. Screen turns off on boot-up after changing display settings for HDMI

Hi Ivo,

Regarding your question on how to resolve your HDMI concern once you get back in. I have encountered that same situation before, and here's what I did.

Solution 1 – Rollback to the older driver.

Open Device Manager and find the driver that is giving you trouble. Right click it and choose Rollback driver.

This will install the previous version of the driver. Sometimes, it’s better to use the default driver in order to avoid compatibility issues. To use the default driver you’ll need to uninstall the current one you’re using and the default one will install itself.

If that doesn't work,

Solution 2 – Update your drivers.

Sometimes you need to install the latest drivers, to resolve this issue.

If you’re using a laptop, maybe it’s better to download drivers from the laptop manufacturer instead. We also have to mention that in certain cases old drivers can work better, so if the latest drivers aren’t working for you, follow the steps from previous
    solution to uninstall them and download older version of the drivers.

Let us know how it goes.

Roberto Oca, Nov 3, 2016
  3. Screen turns off on boot-up after changing display settings for HDMI

I was trying to connect my laptop (running Windows 10) to a screen via HDMI. The problem was that i couldn't get it to run regardless of the settings i chose in the display options. I must have chosen
    the "show only on" option for the screen i thought was the HDMI output screen.

Side-note: It's important to note here that before plugging in any external video ouptut of any kind, Windows 10 was already "registering" 2 screens, one the laptop, and another which just had "Disconnect
    this screen" in the bottom. When i connected the HDMI a third screen appears, but it also has just the "Disconnect this screen" option in the bottom.

Neither Dubplicate nor extend screen worked. Like i said, I must have tried to select the "show only on" option for the screen i thought was the HDMI output, but my screen just turned off. I tried restarting
    with HDMI unplugged, but the laptop screen turns off the moment it boots. I'm certain the HDMI problem is on Windows 10's side, since HDMI works fine on Linux mint, which I dual boot, the cables are fine, the screen is fine, and I had used HDMI on windows
    a few days prior with no changes to the settings and no updates in the mean time.

The problem now is that i can't access windows 10 at all, because the laptop screen stays off. How can I bypass this( keep in mind i have dual boot linux, so i can access windows files from there) and how
    can i fix the HDMI problem, once I get back in?

Ivo Gerginov, Nov 3, 2016
Thema:

Screen turns off on boot-up after changing display settings for HDMI

1. Screen turns off on boot-up after changing display settings for HDMI - Similar Threads - Screen turns off

2. Display/Screens Turns Off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display/Screens Turns Off: System:Dell Precision LaptopWindows 10 Pro I have multiple displays connected to my laptop via Dell Dock. At random times, when the laptop is idle all the screens turn offnot actual turn off, power is still on. Sleep settings are set to NEVER on everything, HDD is set to...
  3. Display/Screens Turns Off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display/Screens Turns Off: System:Dell Precision LaptopWindows 10 Pro I have multiple displays connected to my laptop via Dell Dock. At random times, when the laptop is idle all the screens turn offnot actual turn off, power is still on. Sleep settings are set to NEVER on everything, HDD is set to...
  4. Display/Screens Turns Off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Laptop won’t display on screen after stuffing up settings to hdmi

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop won’t display on screen after stuffing up settings to hdmi: Need help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-wont-display-on-screen-after-stuffing-up/d2a9e49e-b565-4f5e-94a5-62266e5b6a74
  6. Windows 10 Keeps changing the turn off display setting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Keeps changing the turn off display setting: Ok so I keep changing my setting in power settings to never turn off my display and never go to sleep. This is a desktop. I have done a bunch of research online and I can't find anything that helps. I really don't want to have to re-install windows, but IDK what else to do. I...
  7. PC boots up to lock screen and turns off

PC boots up to lock screen and turns off: When I start my laptop, a lock screen appears. Then when I press the space bar, the screen goes dark for a while and the lock screen gets back. If I click on any other button, the screen again goes dark and then the lock screen appears. I can do nothing with this because I...
  8. Display turning on immediately after turn off timer in power settings.

Display turning on immediately after turn off timer in power settings.: Whenever the timer goes off, the monitors turn black, but immediately power back on as if something is constantly waking them up. My desktop has had a similar issue before of the monitor never turning off, but that turned out to be a controller being plugged in issue for some...
  9. HDMI Monitor turns off after boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDMI Monitor turns off after boot: My HDMI is fine, until windows loads. Then it shuts off and we have to reboot it again to get it to stay on. I've tried 2 monitors and I've updated the drivers, so I'm not sure whats happening here....
  10. After PC Boots to Login Screen, how to turn off display for inactivity

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    After PC Boots to Login Screen, how to turn off display for inactivity: I was wondering if there is a way to turn off the display after a Windows 10 pc is turned on from a shut down state without any user logging in. I have disabled the lock screen via GPO. I also see that the Console Lock Screen Timeout work for me either. 51011

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HDMI Appears on my screen but the screen turns off. What is the problem?

2. monitor setting keep changing after reboot