Windows 10: Screensaver not working after update

Discus and support Screensaver not working after update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I updated today from Windows 7 to 10, and everything seems to be working great except for a screensaver I purchased a few years ago. I know it's a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by enigma789, Dec 14, 2015.

1. enigma789 Win User

Screensaver not working after update

I updated today from Windows 7 to 10, and everything seems to be working great except for a screensaver I purchased a few years ago. I know it's a relatively minor problem, but it worked fine on 7.

The screensaver worked by taking a screenshot when initialized, and displayed various effects over that image.

Now when I attempt to run the screensaver I get the following error:

Screensaver not working after update [​IMG]

The original developer doesn't seem to be in existence anymore, so I was hoping someone here might have an idea of how to solve this issue? I'm not running any other programs whatsoever, so I wonder if a core Windows process is now interfering with this?

If anyone has an idea on how I might get this old screensaver running again I'd greatly appreciate it!

:)

enigma789, Dec 14, 2015
  2. Art__H Win User

Screensaver not working after updated to Windows 10 Creators Update.

Screensaver is not working after updated to Windows 10 Creators Update. It worked fine before. I have looked at all the other problems with the screen saver not working after a Windows update, but nothing in their solutions worked for me. I am running
    BOINC Screensaver. Screensaver starts and then exits within 1 or 2 seconds.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Art__H, Dec 14, 2015
  3. Carbubble Win User
    Screensaver not working after updated to Windows 10 Creators Update.

I'm also having the same screensaver problem with BOINC after the latest Creator update. None of the screensavers work for me. I had to change the settings on BOINC to run all the time and not just when idle.

It's hard to imagine that an update has messed up screensavers. Please fix this ASAP.

Carbubble, Dec 14, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome!

I can't say I have any particular knowledge of this program but you could well be right that a Windows process is trying to interfere. Since it is likely to be a windows screensaver or picture setting it might be worth turning off any screensavers, restarting the PC and then re-enabling the screensaver to see if this makes a difference.

A good tutorial to follow is here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...0-a.html?ltr=S

philc43, Dec 14, 2015
  5. enigma789 Win User
    Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately this didn't seem to do anything, and I'm still getting the same error message. Any other ideas?

enigma789, Dec 14, 2015
  6. swarfega Win User
    Sorry if this is probably not the answer you were looking for, but I am wondering why you are using a screensaver in 2015.

Screensavers were originally designed to guard against monitor bleed back in the early days of monochrome screens.

These days that is not a problem and you could save yourself a small amount of electricity bill by simply turning the monitor off when you're not using it for some time.

swarfega, Dec 14, 2015
  7. enigma789 Win User
    That's a fair point for sure. However I will say that even though screensavers are no longer necessary, they do offer a visual customization that I personally enjoy, along with the ability to choose a wallpaper image or change the taskbar color.

Not having a screensaver isn't a big issue for me overall, just thought I would pose the question in case someone had an idea on how to fix this particular one.

enigma789, Dec 15, 2015
  8. swarfega Win User

So back to your problem, the error seems to indicate that you are running another graphically intense application. Can you remember what programs you were running at the time.

swarfega, Dec 15, 2015
  9. There's a security benefit. When I walk away from my machine I need it to eventually initiate the screensaver with a logon requirement. No use relying on remembering to lock the screen.

hurricane51, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Screensaver not working after update - Similar Threads - Screensaver working update

2. Screensaver and monitor sleep not working after KB5016616 update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screensaver and monitor sleep not working after KB5016616 update: After I did the update a couple of days ago the screensaver stopped working and the monitor doesn't go to sleep anymore. I use my computer for 3D rendering, and the fact that it doesn't put the monitor to sleep means it's burning the monitor basically 24/7 without any need...
  3. Screensaver policy not working.

Screensaver policy not working.: Hello There,We have 2016 x64 domain controller and Windows 10 x64 build across network.We are trying to implement screensaver via GPO. However, I can see that policy is applied and users are unable to modify settings. But, still screensaver is not invoked after 15...
  4. Screensaver not working

Screensaver not working: Hi All I have set a GPO to enable the screensaver and turn on after 60 seconds for testing. Im using photos that slideshow and have modified other GPO settings to copy these files from server to local and to modify the registry to reference these photos. When I go to...
  5. Power or Screensaver settings don't work after 2004 update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power or Screensaver settings don't work after 2004 update?: I have my power settings set so that the screen turns off after 5 minutes of inactivity. My screensaver timeout is also set for 5 minutes and I'm just using the blank screen screensaver. Basically, I just want my monitor to go off after the timeout. Since updating to 2004, it...
  6. Screensaver is not working after Windows update to 1903.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screensaver is not working after Windows update to 1903.: I have tried setting DISPLAY, SCREEN and all the other settings to enable the screensaver to come on at the set time but nothing happens? I have to close the lid when I leave my laptop alone for awhile ***Modified Title from: Screensaver doesn’t come on at set time...
  7. Screensaver not working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screensaver not working: Despite working with level2 Microsoft technicians on four separate occasions to try and allow my Toshiba laptop to enter screensaver mode and eventually enter sleep mode I have had no success. No matter which power settings I use the computer enters sleep mode and after...
  8. Screensaver Won't Work

Screensaver Won't Work: I have a windows 10 2 in 1 dell inspiron 1500 and for some reason my screensavers wont work. I don't use a mouse device as my screen is touch activated so that's not an issue. My power/battery setup is not a problem as its set on recommended. So why else are my...
  9. Screensaver issue after April 2018 update

Screensaver issue after April 2018 update: Hi All, Today I decided to enable the screensaver in Windows 10 Pro. I already have the April 2018 Creator Update installed and seems to be working just fine. I got the April 2018 through the Windows Update on May 01 and installed flawless. I set the screensaver to enable in...
  10. No Screensaver after 10 update

No Screensaver after 10 update: I updated from Windows 7 to 10 last night and now I cannot get my Screensaver to work or get my screen to turn off in the power settings. Something must be causing the screen to stay awake. Any help would be great. 11232