Windows 10: Screensaver not working except in games

Discus and support Screensaver not working except in games in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just installed a clean Windows 10 on the new machine a built. For some reason, none of the listed screensavers work EXCEPT when I'm in a game and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by darkzero901, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Screensaver not working except in games

I just installed a clean Windows 10 on the new machine a built. For some reason, none of the listed screensavers work EXCEPT when I'm in a game and idle.

If I'm not in a game, no screensaver will ever start. I've tried playing with the power settings including cmd powercfg, etc.

:)

darkzero901, Mar 10, 2018

2. "Unlocking" screen saver?

Updated with Creator update on 04/12/2017. Everything working fine, except unable to get out of screensaver using mouse or keyboard input. Screensaver working fine with rotating pictures from Gallery. Only way I can get out of screensaver is ctrl-alt-del
    combination.

Any help or suggestion appreciated, thank you.

nazimzaman, Mar 10, 2018
  3. Screensaver won't work in Windows 10 with game controllers connected

After doing some searching I found that the reason for the screensaver to not work anymore after I upgraded to Win10 from Win7 is there seems to be a bug of some kind in Win10 where the screensaver won't start after the specified time when you have USB game
    controllers connected.

In my case I have 3 game controllers connected, a Saitek Throttle Quadrant and a pair of CH Prouducts game controllers (one flight yoke and pedals).

For now I'm working around the issue by disabling my game controllers whenever I don't use them but it would be very nice not having to do this manually all the time in order to have your screensaver working.

Is this an issue MS will look into or is this something that must be addressed by the developers of the game controllers?

WebMaximus, Mar 10, 2018
  4. Screensaver not working except in games

Hi darkzero901. Welcome to the TenForums @darkzero901

So if you go into screen saver settings and select a screen saver and then hit preview you do not get a preview of the screen saver?

There was an issue in the last week where one member had an Nvidia app that wasn't starting right and the screen save / power saving features of monitor would not engage.

Does your monitor go into the lower power state based on the timings you've set, like after 20 minutes.

Caledon Ken, Mar 10, 2018
  5. I have no idea what happened but it randomly started working. Shortly after posting on this forums, the screensavers work as intended. I haven't changed any settings for that to happen...

darkzero901, Mar 10, 2018
  6. One of those Windows mysteries.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Screensaver not working except in games

1. Screensaver not working except in games - Similar Threads - Screensaver working except

2. Screensaver policy not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screensaver policy not working.: Hello There,We have 2016 x64 domain controller and Windows 10 x64 build across network.We are trying to implement screensaver via GPO. However, I can see that policy is applied and users are unable to modify settings. But, still screensaver is not invoked after 15...
  3. Screensaver not working

Screensaver not working: Hi All I have set a GPO to enable the screensaver and turn on after 60 seconds for testing. Im using photos that slideshow and have modified other GPO settings to copy these files from server to local and to modify the registry to reference these photos. When I go to...
  4. Screensaver Does Not Work

Screensaver Does Not Work: OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 The screensaver does not work, it'll preview but nothing else. I've tried most stuff suggested, changing the power options, but no luck. Does anyone know a fix? 149757
  5. Screensaver doesn't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screensaver doesn't work: My screensaver wasn't working, I updated & downloaded the display driver and it worked for about 2 hot seconds now nothing again. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screensaver-doesnt-work/98cadde8-cb0a-4a55-9127-7f5cdc806b06
  6. Screensaver not working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screensaver not working: Despite working with level2 Microsoft technicians on four separate occasions to try and allow my Toshiba laptop to enter screensaver mode and eventually enter sleep mode I have had no success. No matter which power settings I use the computer enters sleep mode and after...
  7. screensaver doesn't work

screensaver doesn't work: I just did the latest update to Windows 10 and now my screensavers won't work. All I get is a black screen that is hard to get out of. I have to do a Control+Alt+Delete to get the computer to respond. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks - appreciate the help...
  8. Screensaver Won't Work

Screensaver Won't Work: I have a windows 10 2 in 1 dell inspiron 1500 and for some reason my screensavers wont work. I don't use a mouse device as my screen is touch activated so that's not an issue. My power/battery setup is not a problem as its set on recommended. So why else are my...
  9. screensaver quits working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    screensaver quits working: I have a new HP laptop with Windows 10. My screensaver quits working after a while, I get a black screen with message error caused your screensaver to stop working. Unable to fix. I have tried different things I know to do but nothing works. Help!...
  10. Screensaver overrides fullscreen games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screensaver overrides fullscreen games: My screensaver (a custom one) has a tendency to override some, but probably not all, fullscreen games if I don't use the keyboard or mouse for long enough, for example if I'm watching a cutscene or using some non-mouse, non-keyboard controllers (gamepads, smartphones etc.)...