Windows 10: Screwed shutdown script

Discus and support Screwed shutdown script in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Oh Boy, well you learn from your mistakes they say*Redface I tried to run a script at shutdown on my W10 PC that would run a RoboCopy command. That... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Trapper, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Trapper Win User

Screwed shutdown script

Oh Boy, well you learn from your mistakes they say*Redface

I tried to run a script at shutdown on my W10 PC that would run a RoboCopy command. That did not work so I deleted it (So I thought) I may have deleted the proper shutdown script as my PC will no longer shutdown but my incorrect script is still in Win\Sys32\GP\Machine\Scripts\shutdown.

Can I return the correct script and if so what is it and would I simply copy and paste in the right folder? I really do not want to do a new install or system Image recover.

Smack on the wrist time I think *Sad

:)

Trapper, Oct 22, 2015

2. Restart through USOOrchestrator-Service ignores any GPO-Shutdown-settings

If you update your Windows (10/2016) through the new interface, at the end, there's a "Restart Now"-button. If you click that, the USOOrchestrator-Service initiates a Restart, thereby ignoring any configured GPO-Shutdown-settings such as a shutdown script.
    If you don't click that button, but initiate a Restart yourself manually, e.g. shutdown /r /t 0, the shutdown-script runs. This is really cumbersome, as you want a shutdown-script to always run, regardless of how a user initiates a shutdown/restart.... Please
    fix this in a future-update!

Bart van de Beek, Oct 22, 2015
  3. KimHowe Win User
    Spades game crashes with error: "A network error occurred while communicating with the game server". Error Code: 0x80041006.

This is a totally bogus set of questions from a meaningless script. The games server is basically screwed!

KimHowe, Oct 22, 2015
  4. altae Win User

Screwed shutdown script

Well, on my system those folders are empty. What about deleting your incorrect script and trying it again? In case you need a temporary solution, the command in cmd to shutdown is "%windir%\System32\Shutdown.exe /s /t 0" (without ""), hybrid shutdown is "%windir%\System32\Shutdown.exe /s /hybrid /t 0" and restart would be "%windir%\System32\Shutdown.exe /r /t 0". I hope this helps.

altae, Oct 22, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    See if what you deleted is in the Recycle Bin?

Ztruker, Oct 22, 2015
  6. Trapper Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Deleted my script but made no difference, just get the 'Shutting Down' and revolving balls! and still wont shutdown. The weekly clean up meant my recycle bin was emptied the day I messed up so no file to restore *Sad

However as luck would have it I have a System Image from the same morning before I screwed up so will have a go at restoring that using the tutorial. Hopefully that will reinstate any script controlling the shutdown, if that fails I will make some desktop shortcuts using the details above.

Trapper, Oct 22, 2015
  7. altae Win User
    Restoring a system image should definitely fix this. I'm still wondering what you could possibly have deleted given the fact that on my system the folder you indicated is empty. Could this be an unfortunate coincidence and the cause for your problem is something else? Does shutdown using the above mentioned commands work?

altae, Oct 22, 2015
  8. Trapper Win User

Screwed shutdown script

PC would not shutdown or restart, I will have to search the Tutorials again as I could not find one relating to Installing from a WindowsImageBackup, only how to create one. Has to be there somewhere!

I found resets, system restore, repair, refresh to name a few.

After much printing and reading I decided on a 'Repair Install with an in-place upgrade' as this seemed the most appropriate. Following this, W10 is back to normal, shutting down and restarting as it should. I was impressed using this route as all my settings, programs and such like all were as before.

I have also two new icons on my desktop, one for Shutdown and one for Restart. Thank you for the text in your earlier post *Wink

Trapper, Oct 23, 2015
  9. altae Win User
    Good to hear that you were able to fix the issue.

altae, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Screwed shutdown script

1. Screwed shutdown script - Similar Threads - Screwed shutdown script

2. Group policy script on start up or shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Group policy script on start up or shutdown: Hi, I have a bat script to disable Internet explorer, I have tested it and all works ok but now looking to deploy via a gpo, but not sure if I need to run in start up scrips or shutdown as the script needs a reboot to take affect?...
  3. Group policy script on start up or shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Group policy script on start up or shutdown: Hi, I have a bat script to disable Internet explorer, I have tested it and all works ok but now looking to deploy via a gpo, but not sure if I need to run in start up scrips or shutdown as the script needs a reboot to take affect?...
  4. Group policy script on start up or shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. startup and shutdown scripts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    startup and shutdown scripts: my computer is being deployed to and i cant find help ANYWHERE. need to know if startup scripts can help me??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startup-and-shutdown-scripts/0a5a1b22-cdd8-4811-9452-08970cfa80e7
  6. Gpedit shutdown scripts on win 10 home?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Gpedit shutdown scripts on win 10 home?: ok i'm stuck on this problem: i want to run a sample file.bat when my pc shuts down. I have added gpedit.msc on my machine via some batch file and added my .bat script in there. For some reason it won't execute the script when i shutdown my pc. I think is because i have win10...
  7. Powershell Script on Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Powershell Script on Shutdown: Hi all, I try to run a Powershell Script (*.ps1) when i shut down my PC. I created the script and it is working fine when i run it. However if i want to run it on a regular Shutdown it seems like it does not start or is not finished, before Windows is killing every running...
  8. Shutdown Script Not Working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shutdown Script Not Working: Hi, Following this article How to empty the Windows Recycle Bin automatically - gHacks Tech News I created the batch script, which works, and added to Shutdown scripts via GPE. But, it does not run at shutdown. I have 2 accounts and 2 drives on the laptop, Local Admin and...
  9. Windows 10 Home Shutdown Script

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Home Shutdown Script: Is it possible to run a script on shutdown on Windows 10 Home edition? Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is not available. Already tried to modify registry Execute a script a startup and shutdown Tested successfully on Windows 10 Professional but won't work on Home....
  10. PC Shutdown script does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Shutdown script does not work: Hi, I was used to run a script "at 20:30 shutdown -s" in Run.exe to shutdown my laptop at specific time in Windows 7, but in W10, it does not work. I tried to run this script in cmd.exe as administrator, but it does not work eather, because in W10 is not possible to give...