Windows 10: Screwed up BCD and Rapid Delta Restore from Macrium Reflect Free

Discus and support Screwed up BCD and Rapid Delta Restore from Macrium Reflect Free in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Yesterday, I was using easybcd to modify my bcd boot entries, and it glitched badly, adding loads of boot entries for usb drives etc. plus old boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by cereberus, Aug 15, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Screwed up BCD and Rapid Delta Restore from Macrium Reflect Free

Yesterday, I was using easybcd to modify my bcd boot entries, and it glitched badly, adding loads of boot entries for usb drives etc. plus old boot entries I had previously go rid off - obviously I had corrupted the bcd somehow., picking up old data which had not been fully deleted.

MSconfig only listed the ones I needed, but from advanced System properties, it listed all these extra ones.

I tried to use Macrium Reflect Free to rebuild bcd which is what I usually do, but this made no difference!

I then messed around trying to delete them using bcdedit commands. I could see these extra entries with bcdedit but not easybcd. No matter what I tried, I got nowhere (probably due to my lack of in-depth knowledge)

As it happens, I had only made a full image backup with Macrium Reflect Home the day before, so in the end, after an hour of so, I thought WTH, just restore the backup.

I told Macrium to delete all partitions on drive just to make sure no hangovers from what I had just been trying.

What is interesting is MRH basically ignored that as its default mode is Rapid Delta Restore. TBH I assumed it would do a full backup if I told it to delete all partition, but it did a Rapid Delta Restore in less than 5 minutes whereas a Full Restore would have taken around 30+ minutes.

So I rebooted anyway, and hey presto everything was fine again.

RDR is definitely the canine's fluffy bits, and that feature alone makes buying the Home version rather than using the free version well worth it.

:)

cereberus, Aug 15, 2017

2. Disk Imaging

Thanks. Coming from you, I know I can trust this recommendation. I miss those days at work with Ghost/Altiris. Teachers used to complain about students screwing up the computers and ask me to lock them down. My answer was, don't need to. I will reimage them.
    In a half hour, everything back as it was. ... and by the way, "take ownership of your classroom. You can know what they are doing. Pay attention." Kept me employed, though.

Thanks

TMBoyle_898, Aug 15, 2017
  3. Windows 10 apps and data backup

Yes, if you want to do a Clean Install of Windows you will need to re-install all the Apps. When apps are installed they write to the Registry which can't be written to with success from the backups.

If you wanted to make a restorable system image use Macrium Reflect - Free. Though that can't be used to add the programs to a Clean Install. only a full replacement for them.

How to Create a Full-Disk Backup of Your PC with Macrium Reflect

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-re...

SpiritX MS MVP, Aug 15, 2017
Thema:

Screwed up BCD and Rapid Delta Restore from Macrium Reflect Free

1. Screwed up BCD and Rapid Delta Restore from Macrium Reflect Free - Similar Threads - Screwed BCD Rapid

2. rapid delta restore - malware

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    rapid delta restore - malware: will the rapid delta restore of macrium reflect also remove malware when you have an image w/o malware? 151852
  3. Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect

Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect: In the past I was able to restore a Disk Image in the Windows 10 interface without using the Rescue Disk. Lately this is no longer possible and restoration through the Rescue Disk is the only way now. This is not a big hassle but it is an unwelcome nag. Is it possible to go...
  4. Macrium Reflect Rapid Delta Restore

Macrium Reflect Rapid Delta Restore: Just done an interesting test comparing MR V7 versus V6. New feature of V7 is it compares source and target and only restores files missing or changed (I assume it deletes ones in target not in source - have not yet tested that). So I initially created a Macrium image...
  5. Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?

Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?: Can anyone recommend an alternative to Macrium Reflect Free as a backup tool? I want something that does disk imaging, as opposed to just backing up files. I have been fighting with Reflect Free on two computers and have got to the point where, even if I ever do get it...
  6. Macrium Reflect free

Macrium Reflect free: Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I would like to use for creating the recovery disk or iso. my problem is that I do not want to use the full 250 gb for this...
  7. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  8. Macrium Reflect Home Rapid Delta Restore

Macrium Reflect Home Rapid Delta Restore: Well oday, my pc upated from 10563.13 to latest sub build and I was got 3 BSODS in less than an hour - the page fault in nonpaged area one - always a nightmare to sort. So I decided to restore an image I took a few days ago. I was amazed - it reverted me to 10563.0 in...
  9. Macrium reflect free compatibility

Macrium reflect free compatibility: Short question are the images produced on reflect 5.1 compatible with 6.Long question: I have backed up my laptop over wireless to a network drive. Laptop is running xp and networked desktop is running win 10. I plan to change my laptop hard drive to an SSD but need to...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Free: Good Day All just curious if this looks right [img] the fourth section of my C: drive is all red meaning full (almost) is this normal Thanks in ADV for any info 97310