Windows 10: Script or registry entry to set the display order for all desktop icon

Discus and support Script or registry entry to set the display order for all desktop icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a very good desktop restore app and so far my icons don't seem to be moving themselves. But I would like to have a method of doing a "sort by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by questorfla, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Script or registry entry to set the display order for all desktop icon

I have a very good desktop restore app and so far my icons don't seem to be moving themselves. But I would like to have a method of doing a "sort by alphabetic" as a command line or registry key edit that I can set up a hotkey for if possible.
    Glad you had not gotten to this yet so i can add a quickie.
    Is there a way to increase the "hang-time" or whatever you want to cal it for the secondary menus.
    such as right-click, choose New> then TRY to choose folder or file or whatever, the pop-out secondary window keeps closing no matter how slow and careful i try to be. Many time i am sure it is that i am "coloring outside the lines" if my cursor misses the box even a tiny bit. But:
    can i simply say that once i Right click, choose New, that there be a Minimum display time for the Options Under New ? No matter what happens while i am moving cursor to the option i want. Maybe 2 seconds? Anything is better than now as i have a fraction of second to instantly hit my option once i move the mouse or the menu disappears

:)

questorfla, Jul 11, 2016

2. Desktop Icons move when changing to or from Extending Display.

Thank you for providing the missing link for providing feedback. It allowed me to enter a bug report on windows calculator.

Today 2/1/2016 I got an email that asks if the Relocate Desktop Icons to Random locations issue has been resolve.

The answer is No. The issue remains as a problem.

I found another possible solution posted 'solution' but that did not work either.

This last change that did not fix the issue involved adding a new registry entry.

In regedit go to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

Then create Key "Explorer"

Add new DWORD value "NoSaveSettings" and set to 0

Still waiting for a solution to Desktop Icon moved to random locations.

Please keep in mind that the new location of desktop items occurs with OS making changes to external display settings. The user (me) did not change the external display settings.

Loss of Laptop Display after leaving station with external display. Display setting became "Show only on 2". All the desktop icons moved too. Both items are issues that should be fixed.

DavidTweedy, Jul 11, 2016
  3. slance310 Win User
    Adjust the size of the font.

Hi,

The problem with that is that the update resets most all of the Text and Icon settings to Default...

At least the System and User Folders anyway.. I have other HDDs on which the Icons stay as I have them set, but the text always changes...

I did do as you suggest to a certain degree though... I set my Text and Icons up the way I want them in build 14393... The last build with the Advanced Display Settings I believe...

Then "Exported" the registry entry where they are saved...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics…

Then simply "Merge" it into the Registry with each new build...

In reality, it is hoped that Microsoft will come to their senses and restore this setting in some fashion in future builds... I have seen suggestions on the Feedback Hub that this may actually happen..

slance310, Jul 11, 2016
  4. Script or registry entry to set the display order for all desktop icon

*Smile
    Thought i would share in case it might help others.
    A friend at the DC Forum pointed me to this post on "Inability to Select Menus...Disappear too Fast"

They offered 3 or 4 options there but the very first one was so obvious it that i knew it would work: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
    String Value: 'MenuShowDelay'

Default value: (should be) 'MenuShowDelay'='400', if not, change it. You can experiment down to 0,which gives a really fast response, but that is what you are trying to avoid.
    You could even go higher, if it already shows 400. Try 600 and study the response.

This was probably from Windows 7 or earlier the post being dated 2010. The other options they offered had no easy cross-over to Windows 10 but this specific value was exactly what they listed. With default being 400. Mine being ZERO which as shown is about as fast as it can get!
    Changing to 400 was an immediate fix. I hope this information may help someone else as Apparently I am not the only one who has seen this occur.

questorfla, Jul 11, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In addition: *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jul 11, 2016
  6. Thanks Brink! *Biggrin I wanted to add that I was able to find he culprit that caused all his in the first place. It is a program by IO-Bit called Advanced System Care. One of it's "speed-up" tweaks was the edit that changed the delay to "0". ASC was installed on all the systems i used, so it made it appear that it was a default setting. Thanks for the pointers that allowed me to locate how this happened *Smile

I was wondering if there is a way to "lock" specific registry keys to prevent important settings like this from being edited by "tweaking" utilities? I have seen methods to "unlock" specific registry keys but is there a way to lock the ones that, once I have them as I want them to stay, they cannot be easily modified by other software such as happened here?

questorfla, Jul 16, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad you found the culprit.

It'll be hard to lock registry keys that you don't know will be changed or not by some unknown program. The safest thing to do is to create a restore point before installing any software or making any changes. This way if it has an undesired side effect, you could do a system restore to quickly undo it.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Script or registry entry to set the display order for all desktop icon

1. Script or registry entry to set the display order for all desktop icon - Similar Threads - Script registry entry

2. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  3. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  4. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  5. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  6. Registry Entry

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry Entry: Does anyone know what this registry entry is? When I run McAfee Quick Clean this registry entry can never be removed, is there a reason? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab}...
  7. registry entries

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    registry entries: ActiveX/COM Issue LocalServer32\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechRuntime.exe -ToastNotifier HKCR\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab} https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/registry-entries/739b6f1f-5482-41d7-98cc-c9cfc7df078c
  8. Registry entry to determine laptop or a desktop?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry entry to determine laptop or a desktop?: Hi team, I am working on a NAC product and there are some posture policies which are specific to laptops. I tried a few things to segregate the laptops, such as using battery service or using WLANAutoconfig service to segregate the laptops from desktops, but hitting a wall...
  9. Entries in Registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Entries in Registry: Hello, While making some registry editing, found 17 entries named "Sign.Media". Don't know what it is, have not any program this name. Can I remove them from the registry ? Answers will be appreciated Thanks 140198
  10. Order of desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Order of desktop icons?: I have my desktop icons on this new Win 10 PC set to sort by Name. But they are not! [img] Why is that? Is there something obvious that I'm missing? And, supposing they were all sorted exactly by name, does that mean you'd view them by column? IOW, say A-M in the...