Windows 10: Scroll bar on main menu scrolls straight to last item

Discus and support Scroll bar on main menu scrolls straight to last item in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I click on the scroll bar of the main windows menu (bottom left button) and start to scroll down, the scrolling then continues automatically to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pedr, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Pedr Win User

Scroll bar on main menu scrolls straight to last item

When I click on the scroll bar of the main windows menu (bottom left button) and start to scroll down, the scrolling then continues automatically to the last item on the list so that I can't access the others. It is as if gravity has taken charge! There is no problem with scroll bars in web windows or in Excel. I think the same problem was happening in Word last week but it is not today. I have tried following various recommended fixes including a clean boot, running Windows defender scan and switching off some mouse functions. I am no computer expert so it is possible I have perforemd all these actions correctly. Nothing has solved the problem. I've also tried a different mouse.
    Any suggestions as to what is the cause of the problem and how I might fix it would be very much appreciated. The graphics card is fairly ancient: could this be the problem?

:)

2. Dust Accumulation Behind Main Screen

Hi there,

I've got 14 on my main menu screen.

On navigation which only has three items, there's no scroll bar.

I don't have any thing with 12 items though which would be quite useful from your point of view!

HTH

Mike

mikekd---01, Jan 23, 2018
  3. geotso Win User
    Command history in Run dialog

The problem isn't about the drop down menu itself. The menu is there indeed. The problem is with the scroll bar of that menu, which is disabled. In the screenshot I've provided the scroll bar is visible at the right edge of the drop down menu, but is greyed
    out. That's why the menu can only hold the last 26 executed commands, while in windows 7 the scroll bar was enabled, and I could scroll up and down to choose a command from a larger list.

Thanks.

geotso, Jan 23, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, do you mean this scroll bar in the start screen perhaps?

Scroll bar on main menu scrolls straight to last item [​IMG]

How are you scrolling? I note you have a desktop, so you probably don't have a touchpad.

I notice if I set up my touchpad with certain features enabled, a two finger flick up or down scrolls right to the top or bottom. However, my mouse scroll wheel is fine here.

Please post screenshots like these:

- and any other mouse settings you may have looked at.

To post a screenshot please use the icon to the left of the video icon above your post. Thanks.

dalchina, Jan 23, 2018
  5. Pedr Win User
    Hi Dalchina,

Thanks for replying.
    I am not doing very well with screen shots. The computer is now behaving worse with scrolling problems on web drop downs and QGIS programme not working at all well.

The scroll bar in the start screen is the one you indentified but as I say other scroll malfunctions are now occurring.

Mouse settings:
    Roll mouse wheel to scroll = One screen at a time
    How many lines to scroll at at time ( Slider set nearly to left end)
    Scroll inactive windows = OFF

Mouse properties:
    Vertical scrolling = One screen at a time
    Horizontal scrolling = One character at a time
    I fiddled around with these settings after I began to have problems. They were more like those in your screen shots intially. Anyway, they my changes did nothing to help the situation.

6. dalchina New Member
    Suggest you change the settings to match mine (which are default).
    that sounds a LOT.

What sort of mouse are you using? If wireless, try a wired mouse.

dalchina, Jan 24, 2018
  7. Pedr Win User
    The problem is solved! It was a wireless mouse that was causing the problem and even though I'd disconnected the batteries from this, it seems that the dongle in the back of the computer was still causing problems. If it had a tail, I'd string it up by it.
    Many thanks for your help. You headed me in the right direction.
    Peter

8. dalchina New Member

Great. Sometimes wireless mice can be problematic.

I have a cat if you wish to hire her.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Scroll bar on main menu scrolls straight to last item - Similar Threads - Scroll bar main

2. Scroll Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scroll Bar: I have lost my scroll bar. Tried restart but that didn't help.How do I get back the scroll bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scroll-bar/79826604-0692-46e1-9d6a-7c3cffbaee72
  3. Scroll bars

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scroll bars: Hello. Ive been having trouble with my scroll bars automatically scrolling to the end of any window. First it was the up and down. I noticed multiple drivers for my mouse. I uninstalled and it seemed to fix the problem. Two days later the left right scroll bar had the same...
  4. scroll bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    scroll bar: does anybody know how to chage the scroll bar colour in windows 10 submitted by /u/rexyboy1h [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jrff66/scroll_bar/
  5. scroll bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    scroll bar: When I look at a folder with a lot of pictures which take up more than one page I cannot get the scroll bar to stay at the bottom of the page more than a few seconds which does not give me enough time to look through very many images before it returns back to the top. I did...
  6. Scroll Bar Not Scrolling

Scroll Bar Not Scrolling: On some websites, the scroll bar just doesn't scroll down. It's not like it's not there, it just doesn't move at all. Trying to drag it or press the buttons at the top or bottom doesn't work either. You can see the issuehere. Are any of you other guys having this problem?...
  7. Customize menu bar, scroll bars, etc.

Customize menu bar, scroll bars, etc.: In Win 7 you could select elements of the desktop and windows--menu bars, scrollbars, title bars, etc, and change the colour. Is there some way...utility, app, etc.....to do this in Win 10? For instance, in most applications, I can hardly see the slider on the scroll...
  8. Scroll bars

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Scroll bars: I am having problems with lists that have scroll bars. Best example is the navigation pane of File Explorer. If a vertical scroll bar is present the navigation panel will jitter (flicker)! If I expand file explorer vertically so that the scroll bar disappears the jitter will...
  9. Start Menu scroll bar Bug

Start Menu scroll bar Bug: There is a scroll bar, even if the tiles do not take up the entire height of the Start Menu. Can it be fixed soon? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-scroll-bar-bug/72869904-8461-4cd6-8e62-dbb04c9c110c
  10. Scroll Bar

Scroll Bar: Every time I go to my photo folder where I have 100's of files and pictures, I scroll down 50-60 rows of pictures and while looking at the pictures, after 20-30 seconds the scroll bars automatically scrolls all the way to the top on its own. (Every Time I scroll down) I...