Windows 10: SD card reader does not work under Windows 10

Discus and support SD card reader does not work under Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The problem happens with a Thinkpad R500 running 32-bit Windows 10. The R500 has a built-in card reader, however, that reader no longer works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lillard, Aug 24, 2016.

1. lillard Win User

SD card reader does not work under Windows 10

The problem happens with a Thinkpad R500 running 32-bit Windows 10.

The R500 has a built-in card reader, however, that reader no longer works properly.
    Several times I've installed drivers for the card reader. Each time, the reader briefly works, then fails to operate the next time the R500 is used.
    Checking the knowledge base and Levovo online support turns up no cause, explanation, or solution.
    The card reader has been activated in the R500's BIOS.
    SFC/scannow shows no problems.

Event viewer shows this:
    Device SD\DISK&Generic&SD02G&8.0\6&1777445a&0&50324e24&0 could not be migrated.
    005&0
    Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Location Path:
    Migration Rank: 0xF000C0008000F130
    Present: false

:)

lillard, Aug 24, 2016

2. Internal SD reader not working after upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Hello everyone, I have a problem after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro. My Sabrent internal SD card reader isn't working. I've tried most of the solutions I've seen elsewhere, and I thought someone here might have some ideas.

Current Setup

I have a Sabrent SD card reader plugged into the USB1 port on my motherboard. The reader has several SD slots and two USB slots.

Windows 10 Home Behavior

The SD card reader worked as expected.

Windows 10 Pro Behavior

When I insert an SD card into one of the SD slots, nothing happens. The card is not read and nothing appears under the drive on This PC. I have tried this using both SD and micro SD cards. However, there are three other things going on:

• The USB slots in the reader work fine.
    • The SD slot is recognized on startup before Windows loads. It appears as a boot option when I have a card inserted and manually enter the boot menu on the motherboard (F11).
    • Drive letters appear for each SD slot.
    Attempted Fixes

I have tried several steps to fix this issue. They include:

• Running hardware Troubleshooting under Control Panel
    • Updating drivers under Device Manager
    • Uninstalling the device under Device Manager, and picking up on reboot
    • Installed all Windows 10 Pro updates
    • Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro
    None of these actions has solved the problem. After each, I confirmed that the SD reader is recognized by the BIOS on startup before Windows loads.

Does anyone have any other ideas for what I can try? Should I purchase a new SD card reader and see if it exhibits the same behavior?

JeffreyKramer9, Aug 24, 2016
  3. SDXC card does not mount in Windows 10

64 gig SDXC (note: not SDHC) card does not mount for reading or writing in Windows 10. This worked on my system's SD card reader under Windows 7. The external reader is recognized on the USB bus but the media is not mounted as a disk.

{ANSWERED} Requires an SDXC-compatible card reader. My external USB card reader does not support SDXC.

{NEW QUESTION!} The internal card reader on my system -- which does support SDXC on Windows 7 -- is not recognized by Windows 10. That's why I was messing around with the external reader. Guess I need to hunt down a working driver for the internal reader
    (10-in-1 USB 3/multiformat card reader, fits in the floppy disc bay)

AndrewWilson_889, Aug 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, according to this list (there may be a later one if you look)
    Windows 10 Upgrade July 2015 / Version 1507 - Supported System List - Lenovo Support (US)
    your PC has not been tested/approved for Win 10 by Lenovo.

Drivers are to Win 8.1 latest as you know.

Some PCs will run Win 10 despite that, but particularly with laptops, even if that is so, you can run into heat management problems with low level AHCI driver incompatibility.

I have found this for you:
    Ricoh Media Card Reader Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit), 8 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad - Lenovo Support (US)
    I searched for
    lenovo R500 "windows 10" sd card

Otherwise: Now I never recommend- nor does this forum in general- the use of driver scanning programs. However, I have found in exceptional cases this sometimes helps. So I suggest you try DriverMax (2 free drivers a day). No guarantees.

dalchina, Aug 24, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    I've card reader problems with my Dell laptop. The SD card disappears at random but reappears after a restart. I suspect its a driver problem but I've tried the latest Dell and Realtek drivers.

Steve C, Aug 25, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you reported this here:
    Realtek Card Reader Keeps Disappearing - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Maybe your driver has changed after you upgraded to the anniversary build? Maybe driver updates are no longer blocked?

dalchina, Aug 25, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    Just after the AU, I noted the Realtek card reader driver installed was 10.0.14393.0 dated 15/7/16. I just looked after your post and it shows version 10.0.10240.21281 dated 2/10/15 which is the latest Dell version for my laptop. I've just run search for a better driver from Device Manager and it installed version 10.0.10125.21277 dated 10/8/15 which is the version W10 clean installed back in January. Go figure!

I would like to have version 10.0.14393.0 dated 15/7/16 which the AU installed recently but it doesn't want to update to this version.

Steve C, Aug 25, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hmm... how come a check for updates like that installs an older (and of course different) version...?? Does MS have different databases?

Well, thing is, which, if any, of the drivers works reliably for you? Having the latest version is less important, unless you know of some specific reason..

dalchina, Aug 25, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    The built in card reader is temperamental reagardless of driver. Maybe it's a hardware issue? I now use a Kingston USB SD card reader which is very reliable and fast.

Steve C, Aug 25, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Could be- you've had a lot of trouble with it...

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. SD card reader does not work under Windows 10 - Similar Threads - card reader does

2. SD Card reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD Card reader: I have an external sd card reader and it wont work on my pc. It works on my laptop and other stuff but it only doesnt work on this pc. It only recognizes the sd card reader as USB3.0 Card Reader but it wont read the sd card at all. I even tried buying and using another sd...
  3. sd card reader

sd card reader: Hi, I have been running a lenovo Z70-80 with a partitioned hard drive with a windows 7 \ linux dual boot setup. It all worked fine until I upgraded to windows 10. After I updated all the drivers everything worked well except the sd card reader. This will keep disconnecting or...
  4. SD card/SD card reader no longer working

SD card/SD card reader no longer working: Hi. New to this so not sure of category. I have a Lenovo G70. Windows 10, 64bit My SD card reader has stopped working. In Device Manager, the SD card is not listed. I can't format the card as it is not listed. I cannot locate the card at all as it is not listed anywhere. I've...
  5. SD Card Reader

SD Card Reader: Hi Every SD card I plug in to my PC says it is Write Protected. I have tried everything I can find on internet to fix this but to no avail. Can anyone help please? 146468
  6. SD Card Reader

SD Card Reader: I have Windows 10 and my SD card reader is not recognized. I have tried everything on the earlier post and none have worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/d927df68-eac3-4356-8c18-4cd339419e75
  7. sd card reader

sd card reader: My sd card reader isn't working .How can I get it back on ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/a9ecbe8c-3206-454a-960a-8b6f6ce13e12
  8. SD Card Reader not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    SD Card Reader not working: My PC doesn't recognize my SD card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader-not-working/6a47076e-3cbc-4d69-85bf-53aeedfc23bf
  9. SD-card reader not working

SD-card reader not working: Hi I am having trouble accessing my SD card it work fine with another similar laptop, mine just keeps telling em to format the drive, and when i try to format it says it is not able to format it. Alex...
  10. SD card reader does not work

SD card reader does not work: I am using Asus UX330CA laptop with Win10 64 bit. After recent PC reset my SD card reader does not work. So far: - Installed all the drivers from ASUS support page (chipset, card reader, etc.) - I can see Alcor Micro USB 2.0 Card Reader under Device Manager USB Controllers....