Windows 10: SD card reader not working after 10586 1511 update

Discus and support SD card reader not working after 10586 1511 update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My HP laptop automatically got a new update today. Took almost 35 minutes to get it done. So far the only thing not working is my SD Card Reader.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jwebb, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Jwebb Win User

SD card reader not working after 10586 1511 update

My HP laptop automatically got a new update today. Took almost 35 minutes to get it done. So far the only thing not working is my SD Card Reader. Anyone have any suggestions to get it working, I use it a lot! Hp was originally windows 7 and first windows 10 update was several months ago. The reader was working on that version of 10, not sure which one it was.
    Thanks

:)

Jwebb, Jan 7, 2016
  2. C david A Win User

Card reader not working Windows 10

I have got the same problem. SD card reader doesn't work now.

SD cards worked fine on my DELL Inspiron 7720 PC (64bit) before upgrade to Windows 10 Pro version 1511 build 10586.11 and I have updated all available drivers from DELL. DELL diagnostics don't show any problem.

Now device manager doesn't seem to know that there is a built-in SD card reader. Inserting cards has no effect.

I also updated a DELL Inspiron 1520 (32bit) to Windows 10 and the built-in SD card read works fine..... Thanks

C david A, Jan 7, 2016
  3. Insignia Card Reader not working

The Insignia Card Reader is not recognized at all. The only stuff I did to my desktop after the 1511 upgrade was your updates. I plug the card reader in and dead silence, nothing. Nothing happens. Again...it worked after the July Windows 10 download and
    the Nov. 1511 upgrade. Something in one of your updates after the Nov. 1511 upgrade took this ability away from me.

RobertWorman SR., Jan 7, 2016
  4. Almighty1 Win User

What is the specific name of the card reader as in make/model?

Almighty1, Jan 8, 2016
  5. Private Win User
    Win + X > Disk Management. If the Reader is listed, assign it with a new drive letter.

Private, Jan 8, 2016
  6. Almighty1 Win User
    It has to be in Device Manager first as what I was asking is what card reader is it, for example, on my ASUS, it's a Reaktek Card Reader.

Almighty1, Jan 8, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    I have problems with the Realtek card reader in my Dell Inspiron 7537 laptop, The card reader keeps showing no card is present but the card reappears if I remove and reinsert it. I've tried various drivers to no avail. All worked fine in Windows 8.1. There is either a problem with Realtek's drivers or Windows 10.

Steve C, Jan 8, 2016
  8. Private Win User

My mistake. I thought it was an external card reader.

Private, Jan 8, 2016
  9. Almighty1 Win User
  10. Private Win User
    Yours, this driver might works. See: Realtek Card Reader Driver

Discussed here: Dell Support Forums

Private, Jan 8, 2016
  11. Steve C Win User
    I've tried that driver thanks and Dell drivers both new and old.

Steve C, Jan 8, 2016
  12. Almighty1 Win User
    It might not be the drivers but the contacts may need cleaning, you can use something like a pipe cleaner with 70% isopropanol (isopropyl rubbing alcohol) to clean it.

Almighty1, Jan 8, 2016
  13. Jwebb Win User

Don't know it's internal.

Jwebb, Jan 8, 2016
  14. Jwebb Win User
    Can't see the card reader in device mgr

Jwebb, Jan 8, 2016
  15. Jwebb Win User
    Jwebb, Jan 8, 2016
Thema:

1. SD card reader not working after 10586 1511 update - Similar Threads - card reader working

2. SD Card reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD Card reader: I have an external sd card reader and it wont work on my pc. It works on my laptop and other stuff but it only doesnt work on this pc. It only recognizes the sd card reader as USB3.0 Card Reader but it wont read the sd card at all. I even tried buying and using another sd...
  3. sd card reader

sd card reader: Hi, I have been running a lenovo Z70-80 with a partitioned hard drive with a windows 7 \ linux dual boot setup. It all worked fine until I upgraded to windows 10. After I updated all the drivers everything worked well except the sd card reader. This will keep disconnecting or...
  4. SD card/SD card reader no longer working

SD card/SD card reader no longer working: Hi. New to this so not sure of category. I have a Lenovo G70. Windows 10, 64bit My SD card reader has stopped working. In Device Manager, the SD card is not listed. I can't format the card as it is not listed. I cannot locate the card at all as it is not listed anywhere. I've...
  5. SD Card Reader

SD Card Reader: Hi Every SD card I plug in to my PC says it is Write Protected. I have tried everything I can find on internet to fix this but to no avail. Can anyone help please? 146468
  6. SD Card Reader

SD Card Reader: I have Windows 10 and my SD card reader is not recognized. I have tried everything on the earlier post and none have worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/d927df68-eac3-4356-8c18-4cd339419e75
  7. sd card reader

sd card reader: My sd card reader isn't working .How can I get it back on ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/a9ecbe8c-3206-454a-960a-8b6f6ce13e12
  8. SD Card Reader not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    SD Card Reader not working: My PC doesn't recognize my SD card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader-not-working/6a47076e-3cbc-4d69-85bf-53aeedfc23bf
  9. SD-card reader not working

SD-card reader not working: Hi I am having trouble accessing my SD card it work fine with another similar laptop, mine just keeps telling em to format the drive, and when i try to format it says it is not able to format it. Alex...
  10. 1511 10586 update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    1511 10586 update: Hi all, I have a Samsung Laptop which has Windows 7 Home edition on it. I have upgraded it to the Windows 10 Home and all is fine. Windows now informs me that an upgrade version 1511, 10586 is ready to update so I clicked check for udates and it says click to download,...