Windows 10: Sdd usb 3.1 very slow

Discus and support Sdd usb 3.1 very slow in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My Asus X99-A II has a Type-C USB 3.1 port. I thought it would be helpful to make use of this port, so I bought a USB 3.1 StarTech hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by northstar7, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Sdd usb 3.1 very slow

My Asus X99-A II has a Type-C USB 3.1 port.

I thought it would be helpful to make use of this port, so I bought a USB 3.1 StarTech hard drive enclosure rated for 10Gbps and installed a Samsung PM800 250GB SSD in it.

I expected very fast, or at least fast speeds from this drive. Instead I got DiskMark results as show in the image.

I looked for hard-drive tools to assess the health of the drive, but can't find any that work through USB, including DataLifeguard, Gsmartcontrol etc.

If there are any ideas as to how I can go about finding the reason behind the slow speeds, I'd be grateful.

:)

northstar7, Jun 19, 2018
  2. TenOclock Win User

Not able to format 512GB Crucial MX100 (SDD#1)

October 2016

Hi everybody,
    Like I say in the topic I can’t format my SSD#1 Crucial MX100 512GB.
    Here what I try. Thanks.

Operating System: Windows 10 full updated (October 2016)
    Computer: Asus Maximus Formula (buy at 2008)
    BIOS: Legacy BIOS (mean no UEFI - Unified Extensible Firmware Interface)

BIOS and Windows 10 recognized the SDD#1.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1- I try Disk Management to format the SDD#1.
    One with “Quick format” option check and one with “Quick format” uncheck.

Same result for both:
    The windows message received:
    “Virtual Disk Manager” (title of the windows showing the message)
    The format did not complete successfully (the message)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2- For this step I just connect the SDD#1 and the CDROM
    I try to boot from Windows 10 DVD installation, choose “Install” and Windows is not able to delete the partition on the SDD#1. It is not able to create a partition neither. And sure it’s not able to install Windows 10 on the SDD#1.
    3- For this step I just connect the SDD#1 and the CDROM
    I try to boot from Windows 10 DVD installation, choose “Repair”, go in command prompt and do the following:

Diskpart
    List disk
    List volume

Select disk 0
    Select volume 1
    Clean

Message received:
    DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. See the System Event Log for more information.
    4- For this step I connect all my SDD#1 and HDD and put the SDD#1 on other port.
    I go to CMD and enter the same command than above for same result.
    This time I can check the Event Viewer:

Event Viewer
    464 Error and 1 Warning

Warning
    Event Properties - Event 153, disk
    The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\0000002a) was retried.

Errors (repeat the following errors 232 time ? - I don't check all but it appear to be same two errors)
    Event Properties - Event 24620, BitLocker Driver
    Encrypted volume check: Volume information on \\?\Volume{01128aa1-0000-0000-007e-000000000000} cannot be read.

Event Properties - Event 7, disk
    The device, \Device\Harddisk2\DR2, has a bad block.
    5- I try the free program “ MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition 9.1” and nothing work. Not able to delete partion not able to create one.
    6- I try GParted under XUbuntu and it’s not work too.

I am very sad. I do not have $ 200 for buying another SSD.
    Are there something to do to format the SSD # 1?
    I can’t believe it's broken. I have hard disks (trays) much older than it and that still works

Sdd usb 3.1 very slow [​IMG]

TenOclock, Jun 19, 2018
  3. SDD and a HDD windows 10

I have Windows 10 installed on a 525gb SDD. I have a 1tb HDD that I'm using for my data. I've been reading a lot of conflicting tweaks to use on the SDD. Help!

1. Should I eliminate the swap on the SDD? I do a have a windows managed swap file on the HDD.

2. Should I turn off indexing on the SDD?

3. Should I turn off system restore on the SDD?

Most of the articles I've been reading have been a couple of years old. I know that the current SDDs are better but do these same tweaks apply now?

Any info and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

saturn7110x, Jun 19, 2018
  4. thraxed Win User

Sdd usb 3.1 very slow

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jun 19, 2018
Thema:

Sdd usb 3.1 very slow

1. Sdd usb 3.1 very slow - Similar Threads - Sdd usb very

2. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  3. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  4. Very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very slow: I am trying to downgrade my extremely slow windows 10 laptop to windows 7 but I got an error saying Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer and it even takes so long to startup and show my account and password box and when I type in my password...
  5. Very slow access to USB HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Very slow access to USB HDD: I have a rather young 4 TB USB HDD. Some time ago I formatted it in Ext4 and used it in a Linux system. Now I will use it in Windows. I formatted it in NTFS (Quick Format) and copied 2 TB data to it. Up to here everything was ok. I connected this USB3 capable HDD to a USB2...
  6. USB 3.0 very slow to connect to USB HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3.0 very slow to connect to USB HDD: Had a USB HDD plugged into USB 3.0 and rebooted computer. Now it takes about 5 minuted before the HDD is connected and one it is, you can't do anything with the files. Same with another, newer HDD.Both drives work good on USB 2.0 Here is the system log when the drive is...
  7. 1 game on D: Drive but very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1 game on D: Drive but very slow: Hello! I run only 1 game on the D: drive of my Windows 10 computer, and my C: drive is about 75% full. However, when I run the game that is on my D: drive, it acts as though the memory is full-the game is good for about 5 minutes, then the FPS drops to, like, 0.5 frames a...
  8. Very slow boot, no usb

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow boot, no usb: I just upgraded my i7, 8GB ram laptop to Windows 10 and really need help. Booting up, shutting down, and restarting are extremely slow. This laptop previously had Windows 7 and booted up much faster. I've looked at the startup folder and it is empty. I'm ready to give up and...
  9. Copying to USB Very Slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copying to USB Very Slow: A few times a week I backup my data files to my extended hdd and my USB. Seems it take forever to copy to the USB. Very short time to copy to Extended hdd. I've tried deleting to old backup first so there will be no need to replace and files. That doesn't seem to be...
  10. Very slow boot and MBR error 3 linked?

in Windows 10 Support
    Very slow boot and MBR error 3 linked?: I have recently upgraded my desktop with a SSD drive and 8 Mb of memory. However, the PC still seems very slow and sluggish at times especially on start up which is glacial speed. I also get an error "MBR error 3" showing up constantly. Can anyone advise me if I am right in...