Windows 10: Seagate 500gb drive not accepted for File History

Discus and support Seagate 500gb drive not accepted for File History in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've successfully used this drive (which has plenty of spare space) to create System Images but it is not accepted as a suitable drive for File History... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mhswoodley, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Seagate 500gb drive not accepted for File History

I've successfully used this drive (which has plenty of spare space) to create System Images but it is not accepted as a suitable drive for File History - tried all 3 USB ports and tried re-starting computer. I've already used a 2gb memory stick for File History but this is now full. I've looked at the tutorials but not found them helpful on how to change backup drive. (new ASUS ZenBook UX305 with preloaded W10, all updates installed)

:)

mhswoodley, Nov 17, 2016

2. Why is an external hard drive not acceptable for file history?

file history will not let me use a functioning Seagate backup drive as a file history drive

Robert E MillerRV, Nov 17, 2016
  3. USB Connected Seagate portable HD

Windows 10 Seagate USB connected Drive:

I changed the hard drive label as directed by one of the community responses, and as directed by a Seagate support site deleted Seagate Manager as it is not compatible with Windows 10 and there are no plans to make it so. After deleting Seagate Manager
    and rebooting Windows 10, Seagate said I should be able to copy and paste my files to their HD. I was able to do that.

When trying to use File History, so that I could make the Seagate drive a backup drive, File History points to the old drive letter that I had, even through Computer/Disk Management shows the changed drive letter. I was able to redirect it to the new drive
    letter. This new drive letter is shown on my desk top for that Seagate drive. I still cannot access that drive with Windows 10 for backup even though I was able to copy and past files to the Seagate drive.

I still want to be able to have the Seagate drive as file backup but cannot as yet do that. I'm looking for some ideas how to do that.

Gene Dodge, Nov 17, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Seagate 500gb drive not accepted for File History

Go to Settings/Update and security/Backup make sure File History is ON. In File History, Choose Select a different Drive. Click the Stop Using this drive to remove the old backup drive. Then Add your current Drive.

spunk, Nov 17, 2016
  5. Thanks Spunk, tried that but no luck, possibly because access denied? - I can't even copy/send single files/folders to the drive and I find the change permissions procedure difficult to follow. Anyway I've now used an old 16gb Sandisk Cruzer stick for File History and that's worked OK

mhswoodley, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Seagate 500gb drive not accepted for File History

1. Seagate 500gb drive not accepted for File History - Similar Threads - Seagate 500gb drive

2. Seagate File History Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seagate File History Problem: My Seagate Hard Drive Box - plenty of storage left - seems to be stalling on File History RUN NOW when trying to do a back-up & save. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/seagate-file-history-problem/226e606f-7e0a-4e61-a263-5851c1d428aa
  3. Seagate File History Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate File History Problem: My Seagate Hard Drive Box - plenty of storage left - seems to be stalling on File History RUN NOW when trying to do a back-up & save. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/seagate-file-history-problem/226e606f-7e0a-4e61-a263-5851c1d428aa
  4. File History drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History drive: I keep getting reminders to reconnect my File History drive but I dont know how to do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/a235d77c-2a4a-44ab-a636-059ad866d9d1
  5. File History Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History Drive: I keep getting a Dialog Box saying my File History Drive was disconnected for too long. How do I reconnect it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/442571f2-fe20-44be-8691-d86db17a37d6"
  6. Widows 10: Problem Ejecting (Seagate HDD 500GB) others Drives are Ejected...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Widows 10: Problem Ejecting (Seagate HDD 500GB) others Drives are Ejected...: My other External Drives: (Samsung 1TB) Ejects fine and my (SanDisk 128GB Flash Drive) Ejects fine. Problem: [ATTACH] My [External Seagate HD : D] has [Microsoft Store [x box] pc games/demos] installed, I have read other similar issues but no real fix , I just turn OFF my...
  7. File history drive

File history drive: I try to do a back-up but keep getting "reconnect file history drive". I use a 64G memory stick but nothing works. HELP?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/34bd6a18-5ded-4c05-81c3-6c41f0b751a4
  8. SEAGATE DRIVE

SEAGATE DRIVE: Is it possible to create an ISO file on a Seagate drive to be stored alongside your File History. This storage media is not mentioned on the Windows 10 Creation Tool literature...
  9. file history drive

file history drive: can anyone help me to rehook up my file history drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/52df8658-6058-4a94-acf4-83ce852d6d00
  10. seagate drive there but not there

seagate drive there but not there: win 10 pro attached a seagate barracude st3200826as drive (200gb) with my external usb adaptor drive spins up and gives the new device beep but is not recognized as a drive just a usb device, this would be a fat32 drive, its used and has been wiped do I need possibly need...