Windows 10: Seagate Backup Plus USB drive - speed discrepency

Discus and support Seagate Backup Plus USB drive - speed discrepency in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello - I have this 1TB USB drive currently attached to my PC and it's working normally. By this I mean no errors and reasonable performance. It's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by davexnet, Jul 29, 2017.

1. davexnet Win User

Seagate Backup Plus USB drive - speed discrepency

Hello -
    I have this 1TB USB drive currently attached to my PC and it's working normally.

By this I mean no errors and reasonable performance. It's USB 3 capable,
    but the motherboard is USB 2 only.

The system is recent but modest, AMD FX 4300 paired with an ASRock 960GC-GS FX motherboard.

If I copy big files from the internal HDD to the Seagate in Windows 10 I get about 27 MB p/s
    It took 30 seconds to copy an 800MB file.

However, on the same PC, using a recent Linux ( Peppermint OS based on Ubuntu) I see speeds
    almost double @ 50-52 MB p/s and it took about 16 seconds to copy the same file

That's a massive difference. According to this, the Linux is achieving speeds close the theoretical maximum:
    usb - Whats the maximum typical speed possible with a USB2.0 drive? - Super User

If this is so, then I have to ask, why is it slow in Windows 10 ?

:)

davexnet, Jul 29, 2017
  2. JacobJW Win User

Bitlocker To Go with XTS-AES 128 destroyed my 8TB Hard Drive (Windows 10 1511/10586/November Update)

My 8TB that works was a bare drive that I installed in an external enclosure to use via USB.

The 5TB that doesn't work came pre-installed in the usual black plastic Seagate enclosure as a Backup Plus USB drive.

I'm wondering if the issue isn't the drive itself but whatever hardware Seagate uses in their enclosures to convert the SATA drives to USB.

JacobJW, Jul 29, 2017
  3. hard drive 'not migrated' as external storage

some what the same issue

After installing windows 10

This is the second Seagate backup plus 5tb installed after windows 10 upgrade, talking with Seagate help, there is no issue with the backup plus. I have 2 other Seagate external drives installed 1- 2tb & 1-3tb they work fine - these were installed before
    windows 10 upgrade.

I am running a standard dell 660s desktop, upgraded from windows 8. pro to windows 10 pro

The 5tb backup plus external drive will work but transferring starts at 120mb and then falls to 16mb

I am transferring data from a 3.0 usb Seagate 3tb external backup to 3.0 usb Seagate 5tb external backup plus.

the 5tb backup plus shows that - device not migrated - transferring data started with 1:30 hours to finish left and when checked it was 1 day 5 hours to finish

swapped usb ports and did do the windows updates set up in auto

this is not very good if Microsoft cannot fix, again stop with the simple solutions and move on to a tech that has experience and not reading a troubleshooting dialoge from a screen.

Thank You Please

Brian Clark01, Jul 29, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

A lot depends on how you copy ie explorer, CMD prompt and often anti virus can cause it as it will scan on read and write

Samuria, Jul 29, 2017
  5. davexnet Win User
    This was easy enough for me to test, first the CMD prompt, then the CMD prompt with Windows Defender
    realtime protection turned off. I have to report that it had no effect, still 30 seconds each time,
    +/- one second.

davexnet, Jul 29, 2017
  6. Anibor Win User
    Linux is usually faster in both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0, in the same hardware. Also when the operations are performed from boot media. I think it´s mainly because of differences in the USB drivers used by Windows and Linux.

Anibor, Jul 29, 2017
  7. davexnet Win User
    I'm willing to accept driver design and optimizations, etc,etc, but this much difference?
    Linux is almost twice as fast.

davexnet, Jul 29, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

That ASRock board has 1 PCIe X1 slot that would allow doing what I did [for a different reason on my Win10]. I wanted more USB 3.0 ports so added an older Anker 4-port card, a quite inexpensive upgrade.
    Several choices at https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=usb+3+card

Berton, Jul 29, 2017
  9. davexnet Win User
    Thanks for the link to USB add-on cards, since the Seagate BUP slim is a USB 3 device,
    I would expect a significant performance gain.. This is something I can think about.

But it doesn't really answer the question as to why Windows 10 utilization of the existing
    USB 2 ports is poor compared to Linux. Is this one of those "things" people have just gotten
    used to in Windows , nobody questions it anymore ?

davexnet, Jul 30, 2017
  10. Berton Win User
    I see the difference between my Win10 and my Linux Mint 18.2 computer but it is not a great amount. Could be drivers but the age of the computer may also be involved, my Linux is an older Dell Inspiron 580 Desktop I was given and rehabbed a few years ago and my Win10 is an ASUS M52BC_M32BC I got new last November. According to WikiPedia [and other sources], USB 1.1 speed was 12Mbps, USB 2.0/HighSpeed was 'up to' 480Mbps, USB 3.0/SuperSpeed is 625Mbps. USB 3.0 - Wikipedia

Berton, Jul 30, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    That is because Fat32 uses a different block structure and the CRC is so out of date. You go to Linux and copy to a Ext4 formatted drive, you will see it go faster. If Fat32, you will still see it go faster, because Linus designed the kernel to be very efficient in CRC and copying in chunks of data that are going to depend on what little bit of cache there is on a hard drive.

The other is that Windows dedicates to a foreground process when moving or copying files, where as Linux does it in the background with the Cron job being told that if something else is running or wanting to run and needs that bandwidth, it will change the data chunks to allow a higher priority process to come up front.

bro67, Jul 30, 2017
  12. davexnet Win User
    OK I'll research further to see what else I can find. My drive is NTFS, 1TB external HDD not FAT32

davexnet, Jul 30, 2017
  13. Steve C Win User

Try using the Intel USB ports on your motherboard instead of USB ports from other suppliers?

Steve C, Jul 31, 2017
  14. bro67 Win User
    Even better, pop it into a case that offers eSATA and put in a board that allows for eSATA. Even USB-C can be slow at times.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Seagate Backup Plus USB drive - speed discrepency - Similar Threads - Seagate Backup Plus

2. Seagate Backup Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate Backup Drive: I have owned and use a Seagate Backup drive with my Lenovo desktop using Windows 10. I have found the Seagate difficult to use, due to the cumbersome for me so-called "dashboard" that the drive seems to require using. I have never understood why I cannot just send my files...
  3. Seagate Backup Plus drive always spinning

Seagate Backup Plus drive always spinning: Dear forum members, I recently purchased a 4TB Backup Plus series external USB disco. The disk, unlike another Toshiba drive, always remains active, even when it is not used. The power management feature in Windows is activated only when the computer goes in stand-by. I...
  4. Seagate drive backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Seagate drive backup: I have a Seagate external drive which my computer recognises in file explorer but when I go to back up it tells me the drive is not connected. Can anyone suggest s solution. I've re-formatted the drive but to avail....
  5. Seagate Backup Plus not compatible for windows store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate Backup Plus not compatible for windows store: So i recently bought a Seagate Backup Plus Slim thinking i would be able to save some space for games on it but apparently the windows 10 Microsoft store is not recognizing it as compatible is this a pc issue or am i doing something wrong ?...
  6. Discrepancy in download speeds to different drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Discrepancy in download speeds to different drives?: Windows 10 I recently bought a used 2TB WD Black WD2003FZEX-00SRLA0, the original owner pulled it from a pre-built and had not used it at all, only having powered it on to ensure it worked (I received it with 22 Power On hours only). I have been using this as my main storage...
  7. Seagate T4 Backup Plus Hub

Seagate T4 Backup Plus Hub: 7-10 days ago got this message on the screen [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Have looked on Seagates site, can't find a way to get past this, thinking it might be with Windows 10. Help....
  8. Upgrade from 7 to 10 and Seagate Backup Plus Drive

Upgrade from 7 to 10 and Seagate Backup Plus Drive: Am currently on Win 7 and want to upgrade to Win 10. I have a Seagate Backup Plus Drive with Memeo software built in. It is set to automatically backup all new files. In Win 10, will it do the same auto backups? Seagate says the backup drive works with Win 10, but the...
  9. Seagate Backup plus portable storage

Seagate Backup plus portable storage: I have a Seagate Backup plus portable storage. I have been storing things like photos and word documents on it. For some reason, when I plug it in to my laptop now, the laptop does not see it, the indicator light comes on the Seagate portable storage device but the laptop...
  10. Seagate Backup Plus and Windows 10

Seagate Backup Plus and Windows 10: Hi, I am trying to install Seagate Backup Plus and do backup of HP PC - I keep getting repeated message "Backup failed- Some files are in use by another application or service" I've closed everything I can? Thanx in advance for any help ....