Windows 10: Seagate Barracuda 3GB no longer being properly recognised, and beeping

Discus and support Seagate Barracuda 3GB no longer being properly recognised, and beeping in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Seagate External HDD, srd00f2, that until yesterday was working perfectly. I can not think of anything that has changed, other than that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jenkachu, Mar 14, 2017.

1. jenkachu Win User

Seagate Barracuda 3GB no longer being properly recognised, and beeping

I have a Seagate External HDD, srd00f2, that until yesterday was working perfectly. I can not think of anything that has changed, other than that the drive is no longer being recognised by Windows, and is beeping when connected. I have already tried a number of things, and have the following results:

Connecting 'normally' through USB. My laptop's USBs have been playing up a little recently, but I have tried the drive with two separate cables, on two separate laptops.

Windows Disk Management shows:
    Unknown
    3.86 GB
    Not Initialised
    and to the right, one partition of 3.86GB, Unallocated.

Hard Disk Sentinal shows the serial number and 3.9GB, but no other information and a lot of '?'s

Minitool Partition Wizard shows
    Disk 2
    MBR
    3.86 GB
    Read Only (in red)

and then next to it, 3.9 GB, Bad Disk

HD Tune Pro allows me to do an error scan, but gives 100% bad sectors. If I do any other tests, I get I/O error, test aborted.

Safely Remove Hardware shows Eject Expansion Disk

DISKPART shows the drive as online, 3950MB total size, 3950MB free. I tried attr disk clear readonly but got the error that Diskpart failed to clear the attribute.

Connecting as a SATA drive.

I removed the drive from its case. Inside is a Barracuda 3TB drive, model st3000dm001. I have connected it using a SATA to USB 2.0 adaptor, and the results are even worse.

In Windows Disk Management, it shows Disk 1 as Unknown, Not Initialised. Trying to initialise the disk as GPT gives the error that the disk is too small, and the device indicates as 'Not Ready' if done as MBR.

HD Tune Pro reacts exactly the same as when connected by USB

Minitool Partition Wizard
    shows the disk as:
    Disk 2
    MBR
    0.00 GB
    and there is no way of interacting with the disk.

Hard Disk Sentinal is, again, just showing ???

The option in Safely Remove Hardware is: Eject USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge

The disk beeps as it is connected. as I plug it in, the disk spins up and then gives me:
    1 beep
    0.5 second pause
    1 beep
    1.0 second pause
    1 beep

I have tried everything I can think of, and everything Google can think of on my behalf. The data on the drive is, naturally, quite important so I'm looking to save the data rather than the drive.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Jenks

And as a picture paints a thousand words - this is connected through USB

Seagate Barracuda 3GB no longer being properly recognised, and beeping [​IMG]

:)

jenkachu, Mar 14, 2017

2. Is it hard drive problem or software?

Yeah it is . I bought a seagate barracuda 1 tb hard drive.

R. DeepakKanna, Mar 14, 2017
  3. tLocust Win User
    Windows 10 update not working

I can't update Windows 10. I have tried repeatedly, but to no avail. Windows 10 Update Assistant displays that the latest version is 14393, but I am stuck on version 10586. How can I fix this?

PC specs:

AMD FX-8320 OC@ 4.00Ghz

16GB Corsair DDR3 RAM

AMD XFX R9 290X

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3

1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (where Windows is installed)

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

tLocust, Mar 14, 2017
  4. Seagate Barracuda 3GB no longer being properly recognised, and beeping

Caledon Ken, Mar 15, 2017
  5. jumanji Win User
    Hi jenkachu,

1. Your Seagate 3TB external drive is an MBR drive. Inside its original enclosure Partition Wizard showed it as Read Only. This will signify that there has been a catastrophic failure of the HDD proper inside the enclosure.

2. The electronics inside the original enclosure has a special Drive Translation circuit that enables the 3TB HDD to be formatted as an MBR drive with full 3TB capacity. ( Without that special Drive Translation circuitry, you can only format 2TB of the 3TB as an MBR drive). For that reason putting the HDD on a third party enclosure or trying it with a SATA to USB adapter ( without the Drive Translation circuitry) is not going to help in diagnosing the fault. or recovering the data.

3. In the case which Caledon Ken has referred in the previous post, the enclosure electronics with the Drive Translation circuit had failed. The HDD itself was OK. Not so in your case with a beeping external HDD. I think it still beeps when connected through the adapter.

4. The solution: Read Beeping Hard Drive | My Computer Is Beeping | Beeping Noises

jumanji, Mar 15, 2017
  6. jenkachu Win User
    Thank you, both, for your time. It appears the drive must go to the data-storage rubbish dump in the sky...

jenkachu, Mar 16, 2017
  7. As you are going to destroy drive anyway you might what to "bump" it to see if it might become "Unstuck".

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 16, 2017
  8. jumanji Win User

Failing which you may even get more adventurous *Smile.

[youtube]WNJqTPutrJ4[/youtube]

jumanji, Mar 16, 2017
  9. SoFine409 Win User
    very informative. Thanks for posting.

SoFine409, Mar 16, 2017
  10. jenkachu Win User
    So, I tried a little percussion engineering, with no discernible change. I then opened the drive up, but the heads were already parked (pic to follow). I put it back to gether, nd turned it on. It didn't explode, but it also didn't work. Here's a video of the beeps as I power it up, as it doesn't sound the same as the other videos with stuck heads...

[youtube]ABsC_4aclbE[/youtube]

jenkachu, Mar 16, 2017
  11. jenkachu Win User
    Seagate Barracuda 3GB no longer being properly recognised, and beeping [​IMG]

The insides!*Eek

jenkachu, Mar 16, 2017
  12. Caledon Ken, Mar 16, 2017
  13. jenkachu Win User

Thanks! I tried the Seagate Recovery Services program, that told be my drive was not supported.

On to the tests:

Short Drive Self Test passed

Fix All Fast failed

Unfortunately, your Seagate product has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Now is a good time to make sure that you have a current backup of your important data. If you have not done so already, please consider running the Long Generic test on your external drive. This test has the ability to repair problem sectors that are difficult to read. For more information on this subject, see the Help file topic "Bad Sector Found".

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.4 ---------------
    17/03/2017 20:04:06
    Model: Expansion Desk
    Serial: 2HC015KJ
    Firmware: 070B
    Short DST - Started 17/03/2017 20:04:06
    Short DST - Pass 17/03/2017 20:04:14
    Fix All Fast - Started 17/03/2017 20:05:27
    Fix All Fast - FAIL 17/03/2017 20:05:35
    SeaTools Test Code: 9CD398CD
    Fix All Fast - Started 17/03/2017 20:06:47
    Fix All Fast - FAIL 17/03/2017 20:06:55
    SeaTools Test Code: 9CD398CD

I'll run the Long Generic and see how that goes...

jenkachu, Mar 16, 2017
  14. jenkachu Win User
    Long Generic failed as well, same error message...

jenkachu, Mar 16, 2017
  15. Well depending on costs may be a data recovery service can pull something. These large drives are great for storage but unless they are in some sort of advance raid then we expose ourselves to these single point failures.

Sorry you couldn't resurrect.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Seagate Barracuda 3GB no longer being properly recognised, and beeping - Similar Threads - Seagate Barracuda 3GB

2. Help on M.2 SSD No Longer Being Recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help on M.2 SSD No Longer Being Recognised: PC Spec -Windows 11AMD Ryzen 5 26002x Corsair Vengeance 8GBMSI B450M MortarSamsung 980 SSD - OS/Files etcSandisk SSD - Spare don't know model numberNo idea what has happened. I've been going round in circles all evening trying to fix the issue. I usually put my PC on sleep...
  3. Help on M.2 SSD No Longer Being Recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help on M.2 SSD No Longer Being Recognised: PC Spec -Windows 11AMD Ryzen 5 26002x Corsair Vengeance 8GBMSI B450M MortarSamsung 980 SSD - OS/Files etcSandisk SSD - Spare don't know model numberNo idea what has happened. I've been going round in circles all evening trying to fix the issue. I usually put my PC on sleep...
  4. Bluetooth No Longer Recognised

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth No Longer Recognised: I don't use Bluetooth often, the last time I used it on my PC was in August. Unfortunately I have since updated to version 20H2 since then and the option to turn on Bluetooth no longer appears. I have tried pretty much every trouble shooting step, from updating drivers to...
  5. High read and write errors on brand new Seagate Barracuda

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High read and write errors on brand new Seagate Barracuda: hi all I have on older PC with : Win10 Prox64 i5 3470 @ 3.6Ghz x 4 cores 12Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1333Mhz Intel Q series 8 motherboard (replaced from a Gigabyte H77M-D3H rev1.0 mobo with both BIOS's broke) 1Gb Nvidia GTX 650 on PCIe x16 v 3.0 250Gb Samsung EVO 860 SSD (no read or...
  6. Seagate External Drive no longer being recognized in Windows 10?

Seagate External Drive no longer being recognized in Windows 10?: I have a Seagate Backup Plus Slim External Drive that is no longer being recognized in Windows 10,it works fine in Windows 7,8 and on other computers/devices but ever since I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro I have been having this issue and it is still not...
  7. Seagate Barracuda drive beeping (worry or don't worry)

Seagate Barracuda drive beeping (worry or don't worry): As I was getting ready to move my setup to an SSD/HDD system, I got a new seagate barracuda 2 TB HDD (Model # ST2000DM008) from ebay (new, not open box used/seller refurbished, new), was slightly amazed at how small it was compated to my older ST2000DM006 model, but that's...
  8. TomTom is no longer recognised

TomTom is no longer recognised: Hi, My TomTom is no longer recognized to enable me to update the maps - it is charging via the laptop though. Tried a reset and it is still not recognized. * Original title: my tomtom is no longer recognised...
  9. Seagate drive not being recognised by smart TV and pc sometimes too

Seagate drive not being recognised by smart TV and pc sometimes too: Seagate drive not being recognised by smart tv and pc sometimes too. Drivers are updated in device manager. I don't know what's happening. Tried different ports on TV too still the same. Help would be greatly appreciated. 65298
  10. Windows Restore to a Seagate 2TB BarraCuda HD not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows Restore to a Seagate 2TB BarraCuda HD not working: I have a Windows 10 system with 2 internal hard drives C: (250 GB) and E: (500 GB) that I use as my primary system. I also have a backup / mirror system in case I have an issue with the primary system, I use Windows Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i have a 2Tb secondhand hard drive but undercomputer management it says 3.86 gb how do i fix?

2. hard drive unknown not initialised 3.86gb

3. beeping seagate barracuda usb