Windows 10: Seagate Expansion Drive Appearing and then disapearing

Discus and support Seagate Expansion Drive Appearing and then disapearing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a perplexing problem. I have a Seagate 2TB external drive that when I plug it into my USB3 port it appears in Explorer and sometimes I can even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bov, May 2, 2016.

1. BOV
    Bov Win User

Seagate Expansion Drive Appearing and then disapearing

I have a perplexing problem. I have a Seagate 2TB external drive that when I plug it into my USB3 port it appears in Explorer and sometimes I can even navigate through some of its folders. However after 2-5 minutes it just disappears and a message comes up "USB Not recognized".
    When I insert it into a USB2 port I cannot see anything. Whilst it is visible I can see it in my Disk Management but as soon as it disconnects itself this disappears. I have tried to format it but it does not stay connected for long enough!
    I am running Windows 10. The same problem seems to also occur on a windows 8 machine.*Mad

:)

2. Windows 10 File Explorer: Hard Drives displayed twice;

I am running Windows 10 Pro. File Explorer is showing hard drives twice in the Navigation Pane; once under "This PC" and again under Desktop (same tree level as This PC.) Note the drives are listed out of order under Desktop.

Three drives only appear under "This PC".

This does not happen in the right hand side of File Explorer window when "Desktop" is selected in the Navigation Pane.

Any clue as to why this is this happening and how to fix it?

Example:

v Desktop

v This PC

> Seagate Expansion Drive A (ASeagate Expansion Drive Appearing and then disapearing :)

> Seagate Expansion Drive B (BSeagate Expansion Drive Appearing and then disapearing :)

> Windows 10 Pro (CSeagate Expansion Drive Appearing and then disapearing :)

> Seagate Expansion Drive D (DSeagate Expansion Drive Appearing and then disapearing :)

> Libraries

> Seagate Expansion Drive B

> Seagate Expansion Drive A

> Seagate Expansion Drive D

Windows Version: 1511 (OS Build 10586. 14)

BruceRosen, May 2, 2016
  3. External Hard drive is not dectected in file explorer.

seagate expansion desktop drive MODEL SRD00F2

JoshMorris44, May 2, 2016
  4. 1nitram2 Win User

Is it getting it's power from a single USB port?

If so try either a Y cable to get power from two ports, or a powered hub.

1nitram2, May 2, 2016
  5. BOV
    Bov Win User
    Thanks but no, it is getting its power from a separate power cable plugged into a power point.

6. Bastet Win User
    I have a Seagate 4TB drive with similar problem, plugged into the USB3 if I run a backup too often it disconnects, when reconnecting it it doesn't appear in My Computer nor under device manager. I have to unplug the power lead & reconnect then it'll appear but often it'll say the device requires a scan for errors which it finds & fixes, trying backup again & it does the same. Plugging into a USB 2 hub (powered) works fine. A 6TB drive permanently connected to USB 3 has never had any problems.
    You could try the same - unplug drive from USB & from Power then reconnect.

Bastet, May 3, 2016
  7. BOV
    Bov Win User
    Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I have tried that and when I do unplug and re-power I can see the drive once more, but then 5 mins later it disappears again! I do not even have time to run a scan - if I do the drive will disconnect before the scan finishes. The same if I try to reformat - it fails the reformat when the drive disappears.

8. Bastet Win User

Have you tried running ckdsk? If you can get it to run the next time you start Windows, it'll take days though - mine did.
    Try formatting via command prompt with admin

• Go to DOS command line (click on "Start Menu", then "Run", type in "cmd" in textbox, and hit "OK")
      • Type in "DiskPart" in command line.
      • Type in "list disk" in command line to show all disks in this machine.
      • Use "select" to set the focus to the specified partition.
        For example "select disk 1".
      • Use "clean" command to remove GPT disk from the current in-focus disk by zeroing sectors.
      • Go back to Disk Management, you can see GPT disk is "Not Initialized" now.
      • Within Disk Management, right click on disk info, choose "Initialize Disk", You can see GPT disk is "Unallocated" now.
      • Right click on disk info, choose "New Partition…", follow Partition Wizard and format it.

Bastet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Seagate Expansion Drive Appearing and then disapearing - Similar Threads - Seagate Expansion Drive

2. Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive Not Recognised: I have just purchased a Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive which is not recognised by my PC running the latest version of Windows 11. When the drive is plugged in to two different MACs the drive is recognised. I have attempted to resolve the issue by following the guiadance on...
  3. Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive Not Recognised: I have just purchased a Seagate Expansion 4TB USB Drive which is not recognised by my PC running the latest version of Windows 11. When the drive is plugged in to two different MACs the drive is recognised. I have attempted to resolve the issue by following the guiadance on...
  4. Seagate Expansion drive - problem with power off function.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate Expansion drive - problem with power off function.: I have an (intermittent) issue with my Seagate Expansion drive in which it continues to remain powered (disk spinning) when the PC has been shutdown. When this happens I find the drive is also lost (not visible) in Windows (File Explorer). I have to turn the power off at the...
  5. SSD Drive Seagate Expansion not working and not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Drive Seagate Expansion not working and not showing up: hi all I need a very big help here please if you can see I have a big problem can't be solve at all [ATTACH] I try to initialize the disk but it wont work too and give me an unknown size cause my Disk has only 1TB [ATTACH] any easy way to fix this awful day pls ??...
  6. Failed Seagate Expansion Drive -Any Chance of Data Recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    Failed Seagate Expansion Drive -Any Chance of Data Recovery: The portable USB Seagate Expansion drive I use to backup my laptop appears to have expired after 5 years. This is annoying since it contains the Reflect backup of the initial state of my new laptop. The blue LED on the drive lights, there is an ominous whining on connection...
  7. Seagate expansion not usable as backup drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Seagate expansion not usable as backup drive: I have a seagate expansion drive I want to use as a backup drive on Windows 10 1803. When I go to settings>update and security>backup and select 'add a drive', windows says no usable drives found. I already have content on this drive. It displays in file explorer. I can use...
  8. re-connect seagate expansion disk Hard Drive.

re-connect seagate expansion disk Hard Drive.: I deleted a shortcut and it vanished!! EttieA https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/re-connect-seagate-expansion-disk-hard-drive/bf8f9cc6-53a4-4010-9eae-579a301f6c9c
  9. Backup not finding my Seagate expansion drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup not finding my Seagate expansion drive.: Hi, I am running Windows 10 Pro Build 1703, prior to my update I was using my external Seagate drive as my backup location, however since the update, backup is not finding the drive. The drive is working perfectly for all other tasks and is shown on Disk Managment as a...
  10. Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive

Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive: I got my new Seagate 2 TB Expansion Drive and made the first image of my new laptop (running Win 10 anniversary build) using Macrium Reflect. All went well, and I closed Macrium, then attempted to eject the external drive from the notification area. I consistently got an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. seagate drive appears and then diappears