Windows 10: Seagate MOMENTOUS hybrid SSD / HD and fast start

Discus and support Seagate MOMENTOUS hybrid SSD / HD and fast start in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; By default fast start is enabled. But seeing as I have a seagate hybrid drive I wonder if it should be on or off. Some kind of background HD magic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Scottyboy99, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Seagate MOMENTOUS hybrid SSD / HD and fast start

By default fast start is enabled. But seeing as I have a seagate hybrid drive I wonder if it should be on or off. Some kind of background HD magic works to keep most used data cached on the small 8 GB SSD portion of the 1 TB drive. Not that I notice any ill effects using fast start (it certainly speeds up boot) but wondered if it's wise in a HD setup such as this

:)

Scottyboy99, Mar 30, 2016
  2. puttycoat Win User

seagate hybrid drive

I have a Seagate hybrid drive that is labeled ssd and because of that I am unable to defag the drive. can this be fixed?

puttycoat, Mar 30, 2016
  3. morpheuz Win User
    Creating a boot file in a Windows 10 installed SSD.

Hello there,

Before the release of Windows 10, I was using a Seagate HD 500gb for my Windows 7 OS. This is the only hard disk I have at the time. When Windows 10 was released, I bought a Kingston 240gb SSD and installed a fresh copy and Windows 7 then downloaded the
    free upgrade to Windows 10.

I left the Seagate HD in my system along with the Kingston SSD. The Seagate has 3 partitions - one is for the first Windows 7 OS which I did not erase.

Just today I decided to replace the Seagate 500gb with a Seagate 3TB. After installing the 3TB and starting the system, I just realized that my SSD does not have any boot file. I've been booting my system from the Seagate 500gb all along, not from the SSD.

How do I create a boot file on the SSD without reinstall Windows again? It's too much of a hassle because I need to reinstall dozens and dozens of programs I need for my work.

Please help me. Much appreciated. Thank you!

morpheuz, Mar 30, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

Seagate MOMENTOUS hybrid SSD / HD and fast start

Fast startup should be fine to have on.

lmaneke, Mar 31, 2016
Thema:

Seagate MOMENTOUS hybrid SSD / HD and fast start

1. Seagate MOMENTOUS hybrid SSD / HD and fast start - Similar Threads - Seagate MOMENTOUS hybrid

2. Seagate 4TB backup HD seems dead

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Seagate 4TB backup HD seems dead: I had an external 4TB Seagate backup HD for 2 to 3 years now used solely for Macrium. Never had a problem with it. Now my PC won't reboot without me unplugging that HD. It won't even show up in Explorer, or the 'safely remove' desktop icon. That tended to freeze if I clicked...
  3. Fast Boot / Hybrid Boot stopped working, driver-issue?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fast Boot / Hybrid Boot stopped working, driver-issue?: For years I had Fast Boot disabled because I only had a 120gb SSD and wanted to save space by not having the hibernation-file eating more. Now that I moved to a 512gb SSD I reenabled Fast Boot and it worked great for a few days but now when I shut down my PC Windows seemingly...
  4. Seagate HD (USB) not migrated

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate HD (USB) not migrated: My OS is Windows 10 version 1903 OS build 18362.418. I have just noticed that an old Seagate HD ST312002 2A which I have in an external USB enclosure has just stopped working. In device manager I am told: "device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match". I fear...
  5. Seagate Firecuda hybrid Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Seagate Firecuda hybrid Drive: Hi! I have moved the operating system to a Seagate Firecuda ssd/HD hybrid drive on my recent Windows 10 AMD A10 laptop. Things were going well with updates working until the 1903 update which says it can't install an operating system on a USB drive. Apparently. it sees the...
  6. UNMOUNTABLE Ex HD - Seagate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UNMOUNTABLE Ex HD - Seagate: I am freaking out - I cannot send off and it cost me $1000+ I have my seagate 4 TB Expansion drive SRD00F2 --there is no clicking, sounds like it it running fine - I can see the partitions but it doesn't allocate a Drive # or letter - How do I recover this data without...
  7. What are the steps to Installing Windows 10 on a Seagate Hybrid 2TB HD with SSHD;

What are the steps to Installing Windows 10 on a Seagate Hybrid 2TB HD with SSHD;: What are the specific steps for a new Winddows 10 install on a Hybrid 2 TB HD with 256 GB SSHD? What files should be loaded into the SSHD? And when in the process? Original HD is still functioning but due to upgrade from Win 7 Win 8, Win 8.1 and Win 10 the HD has multiple...
  8. SSD - Fast Start Up - Is it a good idea?

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD - Fast Start Up - Is it a good idea?: I must admit I don't know much about SSD drives. My current desktop (500 gb Samsung Evo) is the first time I've ever had one. So I worry about how quick they can wear out and of course fast start up is a feature switched on by default by MS. So is it a bad idea to have fast...
  9. Fast Start/Fast Boot/Hibernation Settings for OEM Win10/64 Pro SSD?

Fast Start/Fast Boot/Hibernation Settings for OEM Win10/64 Pro SSD?: Howdy: Looking for guidance on optimal settings for new Dell system before I fire it up (specs in my profile). This is my first Win10 system and my first desktop, "production box" PC with dual drives (SSD (OS) + spinner (data)) and UEFI. I have read the many...
  10. Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown: I know some people disable fast boot/hybrid shutdown but I tend to leave as much of Windows at default as possible (apart from system restore - why does MS disable that by default?!!!) anyway, I wonder if the hiberfil.sys file on shutdown gets rewritten from scratch on...