Windows 10: search bar/cortana not working

Discus and support search bar/cortana not working in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; my searchbar/cortana has suddenly stopped working, when I click I get a message telling me there is a problem, please sign out. so I googled the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by solus, Feb 10, 2016.

1. solus Win User

search bar/cortana not working

my searchbar/cortana has suddenly stopped working, when I click I get a message telling me there is a problem, please sign out.
    so I googled the problem
    I ran the systen file checker which reported a problem and said it was fixed, problem still there
    I reinstalled all windows 10 app, problem still there

so I created a new user account, this fixed the problem for that account
    so I tried to sign in to the newly added local account with my Microsoft account and entered my username and password
    I then got a screen asking for my old password (I assume its the microsoft password)
    I got a message telling me its not correct for this device (I only have one password)
    So I left it blank (as per the on screen instructions)
    The I got an error sccren
    'oops something went wrong, its probably our fault'
    and thats it, cant get any further.

So I thought Id transfer all the files and settings from my old account to the new account, and Ive hit a brick wall, how can I do this ? the new account has no knowledge og my applications, documents, pictures, etc. I just cant install everything.

Is it possible to just copy everything from one account to another ?

Im left with an unusable computer if I stick with my old account
    can anyone help me ?

:)

solus, Feb 10, 2016

2. Cortana Search Bar Not Working

For a while now Cortana's type to search feature has not been working. When I try to type anything, it'll register the first few letters before Cortana freezes and automatically quits or crashes, leaving me unable to search for anything using it. Ending
    the task in the Task Manager and restarting it does nothing. I think it started with the new Updates and I'm at a loss

Kayla_E348, Feb 10, 2016
  3. Cortana Search Bar Not Working

Hi Kayla,

Software conflicts is one of the possible reasons why Cortana search bar is not working. To resolve your issue, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps in this

article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and give us an update with the result.

Marilou Ser, Feb 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, never had to do that, but this may help (from a quick search).
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/transf...ile-in-windows

Note: if you use disk imaging regularly (e.g. Macrium Reflect free) you can always restore your PC to a previously working state- when you created the image.

It's also a full backup.

Presumably you don't have any helpful restore points.
    Also recommend you turn on System restore, and set up a daily scheduled task to automatically create a restore point to help recover from such issues.

You will find some results by searching on that 'Oops' message. Not one I've had to deal with, sorry.

dalchina, Feb 10, 2016
  5. solus Win User
    Im using windows 10, easy transfer doesnt exist there. Surely there mist be a simple way to transfer everything between 2 accounts on the same machine. Im stuck with a useless machine at the moment

solus, Feb 11, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    You might find Laplink PCMover Express helpful- it deals with data only, not programs, I seem to recall it's free.
    Free data transfer

As regards Easy Transfer, the answer is no, and sort of yes .. see:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...7-6856775beab6

and this may be of interest from a quick search (knowing I'd seen it):
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...8-24597a2214c5

There's no easy way of transferring programs from one account to another. If they were installed for all users, they would be available to you. If you installed them for that user only, that was the choice you made.

Consider that elements of some programs exist in user specific folders like Appdata and Documents, for example.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. search bar/cortana not working - Similar Threads - search bar cortana

2. Search Bar and Cortana won't work?

in Cortana
    Search Bar and Cortana won't work?: This happened like a week ago when my computer was force-shut off before it fully shut itself off. I can't use the Search Bar without it glowing a lighter grey then closing itself. Cortana does the same thing, Glows lighter then closes. I've also been having trouble with...
  3. cortana and search bar

in Cortana
    cortana and search bar: why is my task bar like this . How can i combine cortana and search bar . Please tell me i am ready to change registory too.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-and-search-bar/41bb3ef4-95f0-46e7-80b0-d84c18b0f469
  4. Windows search bar & Cortana are not working

in Cortana
    Windows search bar & Cortana are not working: I cannot type in search text. Also Cortana does not work. When I go into Settings to try and resolve anything nothing works. Does anyone know if this is a temporary issue or something bigger....
  5. Search bar and cortana doesnt work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search bar and cortana doesnt work: Hello everyone, today i just updatet my windows from version 1809 to 1909. When i try to click on search icon nothing happens and same with cortana. I actually dont really care about cortana but the search bar makes me pretty angry. I have tried lot of fixes i found on...
  6. The cortana search bar isnt working properly

in Cortana
    The cortana search bar isnt working properly: The cortana search bar isnt working properly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-cortana-search-bar-isnt-working-properly/7916648e-ea42-4403-95fe-fbde5cf88b39"
  7. Cortana/Search Bar

in Cortana
    Cortana/Search Bar: I turned Off "Hey Cortana" in the Voice in Setting and it goes back to On all by itself. This intelligence is too "artificial. Let's get this fixed, As a Windows Insider I'm deeply disappointed Microsoft has not resolved this issue....
  8. Cortana Search Bar

in Cortana
    Cortana Search Bar: Hi there! I need help figuring out how to be able to use the type here to search section again on my task bar. Since last night I have not been able to. When I click on it to type, it goes straight to highlighting the mic picture in blue and is not allowing me to type at...
  9. Cortana Search Bar Not Working

in Cortana
    Cortana Search Bar Not Working: My Cortana search bar (on the taskbar) has quit working in the past week or so. I cannot search for apps, files, or web results. Any query entered simply returns a blank white screen. The search bar in file explorer still works to search for files. Running Windows 10 Pro on...
  10. cortana search bar not working

in Cortana
    cortana search bar not working: as the title said, my cortana search bar isnt working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-search-bar-not-working/22aa3cbd-4fc3-4f23-8a8e-b068530a646c"