Windows 10: Search can't find anything (even "calculator") -- eternally loading

Discus and support Search can't find anything (even "calculator") -- eternally loading in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi! I upgraded my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit install to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (build 10240 from "winver") last month. The Start Menu search, ever since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ikjadoon, Sep 20, 2015.

1. ikjadoon Win User

Search can't find anything (even "calculator") -- eternally loading

Hi! I upgraded my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit install to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (build 10240 from "winver") last month. The Start Menu search, ever since I upgraded, has always been really slow at finding things, but now it's died. I have a pretty decent, but old laptop: i7-2670QM quad-core, 8GB DDR3, GT 555M, Plextor M3S 256GB SSD. The SSD is a tad full (15GB free), but it worked fine on Windows 7.

Nothing is found: the search is perpetually stuck on those 5 loading dots, even when I search for "control panel", "windows update", or "calculator". *Sad This is after waiting 30 seconds:

Search can't find anything (even "calculator") -- eternally loading [​IMG]

I've tried:

• Rebooting - no change
    • Rebuilding the search index - no change ("278,754 items indexed. Indexing complete.")
    • Adding "Program Files" & "Program Files (x86)" to the search index - no change
    • Turned online results off - no change
    • Turned Cortana off - no change
    • Ran the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) - no errors found
    • Ran a virus scan (Avira Free), a malware scan (Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware Free), and I use an exploit blocker (Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free). All detected 0 viruses/malware/exploits.

What is the issue here? I would've thought finding the dang Calculator app should've worked! *Mad The File Explorer search is working fine. Just the Start Menu search is dead.

:)

ikjadoon, Sep 20, 2015

2. Calculator Memory History Side - I want it to go away

Yesterday, I had my calculator open, and it was the normal calculator without the History/Memory sidebar showing (I didn't even know that was an option). I cascaded a couple of windows and next thing I know my calculator looks different. I've tried going
    back to reproduce the "problem" by undoing the cascading, but it didn't work. I just want that to go away. I've searched and searched and cannot find anything that tells me how to get rid of it. Please help.

JenniferAJLex, Sep 20, 2015
  3. " Can't find maps on your phone " . Please help

@markus8814

Upon N97 Mini map data could be stored upon either mass memory or memory card with choice available within Nokia Maps application > Settings. Don't want you removing map data unnecessarily but you may possibly need to delete both E:\cities and F:\cities
    + .qf file and re-start Nokia Maps application to re-define necessary folder structure; it may help to set Nokia Maps "Online" and download a few kb's of map data via WLAN access point by zooming in to your current location and start again downloading maps
    to chosen destination.

aspergerguy, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Search can't find anything (even "calculator") -- eternally loading

I have this issue as well.. only real fix is waiting it out and trying it later or just creating shortcuts to what you normally search for.. it's been doing this to me for awhile.

BrandonR188, Sep 20, 2015
  5. Hi there,
    Try running Search Troubleshooter. Open Run (Win+R) and write "Control" and click OK. Open Troubleshooting->View All->Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

Second options is to open services. Open Run and type services.msc. Scroll down and find "Windows Search". Make sure it's running.

I have got into this problem thrice. Once rebuilding index worked. Other two times above two solution worked for me *Smile Good Luck!

parassidhu, Sep 20, 2015
  6. ikjadoon Win User
    Wow, someone else has it! I thought that there would've been outrage online if this was even slightly widespread. Huh... *Sad

Oh, wow, 3 times? Shucks. Thank you for the suggestions. But, neither worked on my laptop. *Sad Hmmm...what crazyness is going on with this Search?

To keep the running tally going,

8. Tried "Search and Indexing Troubleshooter" (w/ admin privileges) - "Troubleshooter couldn't identify the problem"
    9. Checked "Windows Search" service - was running - restarted - no change

ikjadoon, Sep 20, 2015
  7. I think some Windows Update crushed the search function. Can you remember if you had installed any update before it stopped working.

You can try if Windows 10 searches something in Safe Mode or not. Try DiSM /RestoreHealth command too...

parassidhu, Sep 20, 2015
  8. AveYo Win User

You could try resetting windows services as those might have been "tweaked" in Windows 7 and were left unmodified after the upgrade.

AveYo, Sep 20, 2015
  9. DoItJust Win User
    I have the sama problem, on and off. Usually a reboot helps in my case.

DoItJust, Sep 20, 2015
  10. this is a good suggestion but I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and soon after did a clean install.. I think it's something to do with 10 tho.. good suggestion still.

BrandonR188, Sep 20, 2015
  11. ikjadoon Win User
    Hi! OK, I reboot often (maybe 1-2 times a day) and it never fixed it. But, then, one day, after I rebooted, Search started working and it been working since (even after two more restarts). Fingers crossed?

Thanks for all the suggestions; I'll keep them available just in case it comes back. *Sad

ikjadoon, Sep 25, 2015
  12. Same problem pal sorry but I do not know how to fix it or why this problem happens but like someone else here a Restart help me to fix it

ShakedBenratzon, Sep 25, 2015
  13. Search can't find anything (even "calculator") -- eternally loading

I have the fix to this problem. I had this problem as well and I have no idea where it came from. What I did, was stop the service "cortana", or whatever her name is. Makes no sense at all what that had to do with anything, but I stopped her, then she restarted herself, and poof, my system-wide search was back. Weird.

burgertime, Sep 25, 2015
  14. izzzey Win User
    In my opinion the cortana/ win search thing is weird. It's a real enigma for me ^^. I switched to free devices from anoxic. Lookeen is faster than the built-in one and it runs without problems like this

izzzey, Oct 21, 2015
  15. -Similar situation to mine, problem is intermittent, in that reboot/sign-out and back in often fixes it.
    Just tried it now, and curiously text input of "start calculator" doesn't work, but voice input of "start calculator" works fine!

DaveGrant01, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search can't find anything (even "calculator") -- eternally loading - Similar Threads - Search can't find

2. I can't click anything in windows settings or calculator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't click anything in windows settings or calculator: I can't click anything on windows apps or settings. I took a video to showcase what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfJM-7F_OuI&ab_channel=PCHelp...
  3. I can't click anything in windows settings or calculator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't click anything in windows settings or calculator: I can't click anything on windows apps or settings. I took a video to showcase what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfJM-7F_OuI&ab_channel=PCHelp...
  4. I can't click anything in windows settings or calculator

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Calculator loads automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Calculator loads automatically: My calculator app in windows 10 is loaded most of the time when I log back into my computer and I have not been using it.. I have ready other posts that suggest this is set as an executable but my argument is that this computer i am currently on is brand new doesn't have any...
  6. Windows search feature not finding anything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows search feature not finding anything: Hello, I am using the windows search function quite a lot, especially for pdfs and other documents and it has always been working fine. A few weeks ago, my PC Win 10 Pro did an automated update. Since then, my windows search function does not work at all. It does not even...
  7. Super irritating problem with Windows Search-- It can't find ANYTHING

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Super irritating problem with Windows Search-- It can't find ANYTHING: [ATTACH] Even applications that have been recently installed, it can't find anything at all. I have no idea why, as this is a fresh installation. I've simply removed OneDrive, and a couple other programs using the add/remove programs feature. Here's what I've tried to fix...
  8. Windows Search Not finding anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search Not finding anything: In my taskbar my SearchUI.exe file is showing suspended. I am not able to solve it from any method I have tried alot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-not-finding-anything/26db598e-e2b2-40a3-98a7-84d9c1e38ec5
  9. Taking an eternity to find the page.

in Browsers and Email
    Taking an eternity to find the page.: Right I will start off by saying my internet speed is not the quickest, well in fact it is pretty useless. I tend to average 3.0 to 3.5 MBPs. Now my problem is sometimes pages take an age to load. I use both Mozilla and Chrome both exhibit same problem. Mozilla dot moving...
  10. Taking an eternity to find the page.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taking an eternity to find the page.: Right I will start off by saying my internet speed is not the quickest, well in fact it is pretty useless. I tend to average 3.0 to 3.5 MBPs. Now my problem is sometimes pages take an age to load. I use both Mozilla and Chrome both exhibit same problem. Mozilla dot moving...