Windows 10: Search can't find some files, says "These results may be incomplete"

Discus and support Search can't find some files, says "These results may be incomplete" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I "search my stuff" from the start menu, some files that I know to be indexed never show up in the results. And at the top of the search window,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Michael, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Michael Win User

Search can't find some files, says "These results may be incomplete"

When I "search my stuff" from the start menu, some files that I know to be indexed never show up in the results. And at the top of the search window, it reads: "These results may be incomplete, search is still indexing your stuff."

I've rebuilt the search index, which says it finished successfully, indexing 3000-something items, but the problem remains.

:)

Michael, Feb 18, 2016

2. These results may be incomplete..

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will assist you with this.

I suggest you to follow these steps to check for updates.

• Press Windows logo key
      Search can't find some files, says "These results may be incomplete" [​IMG]
      +R,
      enter
      ms-settings:, and then press OK. This opens
      Settings.

• In Settings, go to Update & security > Windows Update, and then select
      Check for updates. Install any available updates and
      restart your PC if required.

Also I suggest you to run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter
    and check.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar and open it.
    • Click on "view all" on the left pane
    • Run the "Search and Indexing troubleshooter" troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Then try to re-build the indexing.

• Right-click on Start Menu. Click on
      Control
      Panel.
    • Click on Indexing options.
    • Click on Advanced. Click on Rebuild.
    • Click/tap on OK
    • You will notice the index being rebuilt. Click/tap on Close.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Feb 18, 2016
  3. These results may be incomplete...

If you follow Sangeeta's instructions and post in the Enterprise support.

Could you bring any answers back here?

On every similar issue I found the Microsoft Support stopped helping after telling people to rebuild the index and run the troubleshooter, this never fixes the problem.

Maybe the Enterprise support personal are trained better and have a real answer.

ShetiPhian, Feb 18, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Agent Ransack is an excellent program for searching. Much better for finding stuff IMO. Give it a try. *Wink

simrick, Feb 19, 2016
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Have you also checked out my favorite yet, seems to have some of the same features as the Pro on your favorite. *Smile
    Its Called Everything. voidtools I might have already asked ya thou *sarc

OldMike65, Feb 19, 2016
  6. Michael Win User
    Thanks. I'm trying "Everything" out. Seems pretty great. I'll probably stick with it.

But there must be some solution to this other than abandoning Windows search altogether, right? I just noticed this is also happening on another system of mine. Is this problem pretty common?

Michael, Feb 19, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Not on my 2 windows 10 computers, but some folks have reported same problem as yours. When you grabbed Everything, You should have taken the latest BETA 64 bit ....its better than his last release version. Its far better than any windows search program. *Smile Small, fast, takes up VERY lil memory. Lots of features. *Smile and its FREE

OldMike65, Feb 19, 2016
  8. Michael Win User

Just wanted to revisit this issue, as there are some pretty essential items still not being found by the start menu search. Namely, system settings. For example, trying to find Windows Update by typing "update" is proving fruitless. All I get is "These results may be incomplete".

I'm having this issue on a few of my computers. Would really love to find a solution.

Michael, Mar 20, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, the origin is usually changing language settings. Language settings need to be consistent- it's not enough just to change the display language.

I recall I had this happen last year and did an in-place upgrade repair install (which also has the effect of resetting all language settings). However you should be able to reset all language settings back to default, check the problem has vanished, then carefully redo them.

I recommend you make use of System Restore to help you just in case.

dalchina, Apr 11, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    A small question, when you open control panel, search 'search' and choose 'Change how Windows searches' do you see something like below pic?
    Attachment 74390

11. phancox Win User
    I had the same issue when I first installed Windows 10 (clean install). Local users were fine no matter what the Language settings. However, domain users had "Results may be incomplete" until I made "English (US)" the primary language and changed my main language "English (Australian)" to be the secondary language.

However, I have just spun up a VM with Windows 10 to do some unrelated testing and the work around with languages doesn't work for the domain users. I'm am trying an upgrade of the VM to Windows Preview build to see if Microsoft has fixed the defect in an upcoming build.

phancox, Apr 16, 2016
  12. Michael Win User
    I only have the one language (English, US), so not sure if that's the issue.

I've also noticed that it fails when trying to search from within Settings:

Search can't find some files, says "These results may be incomplete" [​IMG]

And yes, Indexing does say that it's complete, with a few thousand items.

Michael, Apr 17, 2016
  13. phancox Win User

Is this a domain user account or local account that you're having problems with?

phancox, Apr 17, 2016
  14. phancox Win User
    Pretty sure I've only had problems with the domain users. My most successful approach so far has been to install as "English (United States)" then connect to the domain before attempting to configure language settings. Still very much touch and go though as to whether it will work.

Can't believe Microsoft hasn't fixed this !!!

phancox, Apr 17, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    I agree being able to search Settings is very useful, and it's worth getting search working for that alone.

If no changes have been made to any language settings including the speech language, I would suggest an in-place upgrade repair install as I said before- seems a sledgehammer approach, but it certainly resets the language settings, and allowed search to work again. If you've not used it before, it's fairly straightforward. (A lot faster of course with a SSD).

A frustrating issue.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search can't find some files, says "These results may be incomplete" - Similar Threads - Search can't find

2. Can't find chkdsk results

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't find chkdsk results: I just did chkdsk test on main drive, after restart. And after login no results were shown... And it is not in Event Viewer, but it showed previous chkdsk tests, weird... I tried filter by event Sources: Wininit, chkdsk, or event id 26226 and it is not there. 180470
  3. Can't Find Search Box and Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Find Search Box and Files: Good morning/afternoon/evening, Ever since my mom gave me back this laptop, it has been acting very strangely. 1. My screen was upside down, but I fixed that. 2. My settings kept changing without my permission. I don't know if that's fixed. 3. Whenever I try to search...
  4. Win 10 search not finding some files

in Cortana
    Win 10 search not finding some files: I am having a BSOD issue when waking from sleep. circlass.sys is the suspect along with hcw89.sys. This issue is in another thread. Under my normal account, a search of C:\ fails to find hcw89.sys. If I log in as "standard user" search quickly finds some "hcw" files....
  5. Please fix Explorer incomplete search results

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Please fix Explorer incomplete search results: This is a request towards Microsoft to please finally fix the incomplete search results in file explorer. I just spend a lot of time again trying to find a file that I could've found in 3 seconds, if only search was actually showing all files and folders within the selected...
  6. Some programs are not clickable in search results.

in Windows 10 Support
    Some programs are not clickable in search results.: When I search for 'cmd' or 'notepad' the program comes up in the results but it does not respond to a click. When I right click there is only an option to pin to start menu and all that does is put a blank tile which is similarly not clickable. Other programs work just...
  7. Cortana search, these results may be incomplete

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana search, these results may be incomplete: So I noticed cortana search is often showing a text at the top saying these results may be incomplete please try in a few minutes. But it never goes away. It didn't used to do this. I reckon only in last week or so. There have been no significant changes. I checked indexing...
  8. Win10 search: “These results may be incomplete”, won't find files

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 search: “These results may be incomplete”, won't find files: Hello. Windows 10 bugs are driving me insane, I hope some of you can help me. I'm using a 3 months old hp Spectre x360 (early 2016 model) which came preinstalled with Windows 10. It currently has the Anniversary Edition installed. When I try to search based on the files...
  9. Broken search, possibly language related? Cortana incomplete results.

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken search, possibly language related? Cortana incomplete results.: Little help required, because I feel like i've done my fair share of searching what I thought I could fix origianlly.... My search is broken, saying the results may be incomplete, cortana isnt particularly helpful! I've tried rebuilding the index, taking ownership of files...
  10. W10 Search Broken - These results may be incomplete

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Search Broken - These results may be incomplete: Hi. I recently performed a clean upgrade from a clean 8.1 Install of Windows Pro. It's connected to a domain and uses Folder Redirection. The search function finds NO programs or start menu shortcuts, desktop etc. When I click the start and start typing, a few...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows search some search incomplete