Windows 10: Search doesn't find web shortcuts

Discus and support Search doesn't find web shortcuts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a program group that contains a bunch of shortcuts. Some are applications. Some are shortcut links to web pages or web-based control panels. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bret91740, Feb 8, 2016.

1. bret91740 Win User

Search doesn't find web shortcuts

I have a program group that contains a bunch of shortcuts. Some are applications. Some are shortcut links to web pages or web-based control panels. The problem is that ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, searching doesn't find the web shortcuts. For example, "Password Generator" is a desktop app and a shortcut to it appears in this program group. So I press the Windows key and type "pass" and "Password Generator" pops right up. "Avast Cloud" also appears in this program group, a shortcut for Avast Business Cloud Console. But when I hit the Windows key and type "avast" I get nothing. I can click through the "All apps" menu and it's there, but search can't find it. I have rebuilt the index, of course. But this behavior is very consistent and applies to all shortcuts that go to a URL. It means I spend extra time hunting things in the menu rather than pulling them right up with search.

Any ideas what causes this and if there's a solution to it?

:)

bret91740, Feb 8, 2016

2. Navigating in Windows 10 using a keyboard

Thank you Mr. Kishore for your reply

Perhaps I should point out that I carefully followed the steps that you suggested. In the end, I got the
    Did't find anything message.

In the following discussion, every shortcut mentioned comes from the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Dossiers

In the same discussion, the Search tool is the one accessed by pressing the Search key, which has the magnifying glass logo on it.

If a shortcut's target type is Windows Batch File, then the search tool finds the shortcut. For example, the name of one shortcut is
    Open Bills -- Bell. After having invoked the search tool, I simply type
    Bell. Right away, it finds the
    Open Bills -- Bell shortcut and selects it. Please note that it doesn't suggest to search the web even though I left my
    Search online and include web results setting turned
    On. I then press the Enter key. Then, File Explorer opens where the current folder displays a list of Bell invoices. Everything works fine with this shortcut. Below is a screen capture just before I press the Enter key.

Search doesn't find web shortcuts [​IMG]

On the other hand, if a shortcut's target type is
    File Folder, then the search tool doesn't find the shortcut. For example, the name of such a shortcut is
    Open Kobo. After having invoked the Search tool, even if I type
    Open Kobo, it suggests to
    Search the web. The screen shot below is the result of this procedure.

Search doesn't find web shortcuts [​IMG]

This bug didn't exist in Windows 8.1. I don't think that the Search tool should discriminate against certain types of shortcuts. Using the Search tool, I should be able to easily access and execute anything I like on my PC.

Thank you

Félix Langlois, Feb 8, 2016
  3. how to make a desk top icon(s) of the Windows icon and 'search web and Windows' that have appeared on my bottom taskbar after downloading Windows 10 recently;

Hi,

As you asked about the shortcuts whether the 'Search the Web and Windows' (Cortana) can be created as a shortcut on the Desktop, We are sorry Windows doesn't have the option to make the Cortana as shortcut file on the Desktop.

'Search the Web and Windows' (Cortana) is designed to be fixed in the Taskbar. It can't be added as a Shortcut file on the Desktop.

Keep us posted if you are facing any other issues on Windows. We are glad to help you.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 8, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

You need to have Index set to index the whole drive, not just select folders for your user profile. Once it builds a proper search index, they should show up.

I would just keep them in a desktop folder, or have the folder Pinned to the Taskbar for you to just go in and open it. Any Bookmarks should be in the Favorites folder that IE & Edge uses. You can also make a Start menu folder to have them show up in the programs listing as if it was a installed program.

bro67, Feb 8, 2016
  5. bret91740 Win User
    The folder these shortcuts are in IS in the indexing list. They are in a folder under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. And they do show up in the start menu. But for some reason they don't show up when searching.

bret91740, Feb 8, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Like I stated before, go in and remove those and just check "C:". Then tell it to rebuild the index. It should work.

bro67, Feb 9, 2016
  7. bret91740 Win User
    Are you even running Windows 10? I check C: and it automatically excludes AppData and ProgramData and those are the areas that contain the menu items so it won't index them.

Sure there are other ways to work around this. I noticed that one of the web shortcuts forces the use of a particular browser. That one shows up because it's not a web shortcut. So I guess if I re-create all the shortcuts as a link to a cmd file that contains just a "start" command to launch the link, it'll work. It's just stupid to have to work around something that worked perfectly well in XP, Vista, Win7, 8 and 8.1. It's a step backwards. What could possibly be the reasoning for not indexing the name of a shortcut to a URL?

bret91740, Feb 9, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

I have 10 on my test box. Appdata and Programdata is where the menu shortcuts and metro apps are. You can force it by checking those boxes like I did.

Watch out on Index. Any time the new rollout or a fix for the current one is pushed. It always changes Index back to the built in settings.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search doesn't find web shortcuts - Similar Threads - Search doesn't find

2. Search bar doesn't find an installed app

in Cortana
    Search bar doesn't find an installed app: Hello. I saw in control panel I have an aplicationamd radeon settings at uninstall sections. I right clicked on desktop and amd settings were not showing up. I went to start menu, and the app were not here, too. So I searched in the search bar for amd settings. Windows was...
  3. Create a desktop shortcut to a web link with with a variable (clipboard) for easy search...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Create a desktop shortcut to a web link with with a variable (clipboard) for easy search...: I’m afraid I’ve never been much of windows user so forgive me if this is something super easy to do, but I haven’t been able to figure it out in the past hour so I‘m hopeful someone here can help. I want to do the following: Some of the website we use for work have a...
  4. Searching For Shortcuts

in Cortana
    Searching For Shortcuts: On our network drive, users have created shortcuts that are no longer valid since we migrated to a new server. Is there a way to use Windows Search to search the hard drive for shortcuts?...
  5. Include web searches? No it doesn't!

in Cortana
    Include web searches? No it doesn't!: If you click Windows + S on Windows 10, it will open the search tab on the task bar. It says it will include app, file, settings, and web. But on my computer, it won't search it on the web. And Also, I don't know but sometimes i CAN use web searches, and that time...
  6. no search the web?

in Cortana
    no search the web?: cortana sometimes searches the web when you don't want her to, while apple's siri can let you say "search the web for <subject>" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-search-the-web/efb003a7-5a55-4bda-8968-1e8518fb1b05"
  7. Search is searching the web again

in Windows 10 Support
    Search is searching the web again: I have just noticed that Search on my PC is suddenly searching the web. It didn't used to.I had that disabled. I don't use Cortana, so that is disabled. However, it seems that Microsoft in their incredible persistence to get hold of all my data, has enabled web search again....
  8. Search doesn't find executables that are idexed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search doesn't find executables that are idexed: Hello Usually when you hit start and begin typing the name of the program you want to start, it shows up right away, right? I have a clean install of windows 10 on my C: drive and programs on the F: drive that are from when I used w7 (not ok i know but if a program stops...
  9. Search not finding files or settings, only web and store?

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not finding files or settings, only web and store?: Hi All, When I type in the search box in the task bar, the results are only from the web and the store and not my files, folders or my settings on my pc. This was working fine a few days ago. The example below is when I typed "device manager" Any ideas please? [img]...
  10. Start Menu Search Doesn't Find Steam

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Doesn't Find Steam: The shortcut is here: [img] But if I search nothing comes up. It has not problems finding Blender and Skyrim ... [img] 6209