Windows 10: Search doesn't search programs

Discus and support Search doesn't search programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Whenever I want to search for a specific program it doesn't show anything. For example if I search 'Steam' a program that exist in the OS, it will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by d00msword, Jul 31, 2015.

1. d00msword Win User

Search doesn't search programs

Whenever I want to search for a specific program it doesn't show anything.
    For example if I search 'Steam' a program that exist in the OS, it will find nothing.

I also noticed that it doesn't search files that aren't inside the OS drive. (A song on another HDD)

Did anyone else noticed it? Can we fix it?

:)

d00msword, Jul 31, 2015

2. "Spyware and Unwanted software Protection". Whats with this notification???

Just got this computer Have not downloaded anything, message has appeared three times.

Triton's Search, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Error Code 85002028

I just got my Windows Phone 7 - AT&T Samsung. I'm trying to setup Outlook email with my Network Solutions POP email account. Because their mail server's domain and certificate don't match my personal domain, there's a certificate mismatch and I get an
    error. How do I turn off this security check?

When I bypass this by going to their generic URL that matches the certificate, I get Error Code 85002028 - "Your Windows Phone doesn't support this server version. Contact support person or service provider."

This sounds like Microsoft is blocking non-Exchange email servers. Could this be true?

Search Frustrated, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Search doesn't search programs

Not as this is a lot a help, but it works for me.

Search doesn't search programs [​IMG]

fracking4oil, Jul 31, 2015
  5. Boozad Win User
    It has been brought up a few times, are you running an upgraded install?

Boozad, Jul 31, 2015
  6. yes I also face this problem

different3, Jul 31, 2015
  7. I also face the same problem. Web search also doesn't have access to the internet when the pc actually does.

timmysbrother, Aug 9, 2015
  8. Search doesn't search programs

have you tried rebuilding the index files

search Control Panel for index, then click on change how windows searches
    click Advanced and there is an option to Rebuild

It does take a while

paulsalter, Aug 9, 2015
  9. Keldian Win User
    It won't work for software that was copied from another OS installation or used in "portable" mode (unless you specifically the index app folders), rather than clean-installed to the current OS. If that's the case of your Steam folder, you'll have to reinstall it for search to find it.

Also, using directory junctions or symbolic links to the user profiles will break the search. I mention it because it seems to be popular practice.

Keldian, Aug 9, 2015
  10. d00msword Win User
    d00msword, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Search doesn't search programs

1. Search doesn't search programs - Similar Threads - Search doesn't search

2. Search bar in Explorer doesn't use Windows Search

in Cortana
    Search bar in Explorer doesn't use Windows Search: I have Windows 10 21H2. When I search files in Explorer the search bar it looks like thisBut on another PC with the same OS version it looks like thisAs I understand starting from 1909 Explorer uses Windows Search and search bar should look like second screenshot, but it...
  3. Search bar in Explorer doesn't use Windows Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar in Explorer doesn't use Windows Search: I have Windows 10 21H2. When I search files in Explorer the search bar it looks like thisBut on another PC with the same OS version it looks like thisAs I understand starting from 1909 Explorer uses Windows Search and search bar should look like second screenshot, but it...
  4. Search bar in Explorer doesn't use Windows Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Apps/Programs that doesn't exist but they can be in search bar.

in Cortana
    Apps/Programs that doesn't exist but they can be in search bar.: So my problem is that when I uninstall some of the apps, they are gone, but they can be searched in Windows Search Bar. They have no icon, and the only button "Open" doesn't do anything. Can someone help me please?Here are some images: P. S.: The file explorer programs will...
  6. Program doesn't show in search results

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program doesn't show in search results: When I search for a program from the Start > Search menu, a specific program that is installed in my computer doesn't show under the letter of its name. What can be the reason? Is the problem on the program or Windows'[ATTACH] end?...
  7. Search doesn't work

in Cortana
    Search doesn't work: For a while now, seemingly after the May update, the search icon/box doesn't doanything. The thing is, it works on different user... What I tried: taking ownership of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data and adding full control for my user account rebuilding index...
  8. Search doesn't work

in Cortana
    Search doesn't work: Hi guys, windows search doesn't work since I received May 2020 update. I tried a bunch of solutions such as troubleshooting, resetting etc. They did not work. If anyone knows how to cope with it I would really appreciate some help. Thanks![ATTACH]...
  9. Search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search doesn't work: Basically the title Windows-wide search stopped working for me about a month or 1.5 ago. I can't use the searchbar, I can't use the Windows Explorer search or the search in any of the settings menus / any other menu, basically, no Windows Search at all. It just won't let me...
  10. Search bar doesn't search internet

in Cortana
    Search bar doesn't search internet: The Search bar/button next to the Start menu button no longer searches the internet, only local files and settings. Until recently I used to be able to type in something to search for and it would search my local computer AND the the internet. Did something change that...