Windows 10: search engine worthless or how do i use it

Discus and support search engine worthless or how do i use it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i keep loosing files while moving them and i cant find them with the search engine ive just lost several thousand photos and dont know what to do 94654 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by james dupre, Oct 1, 2017.

1. search engine worthless or how do i use it

i keep loosing files while moving them and i cant find them with the search engine ive just lost several thousand photos and dont know what to do

:)

james dupre, Oct 1, 2017
  2. ilpedrino Win User

Disable Cortana

How, oh how, please tell me how, to disable the worst excuse ever in the history of computing, lousy, worthless, memory eating, cpu using, little witch of a search engine called Cortana?!?

I have tried all the ways to turn her off but she keeps coming back and every time I open my Task Manager, there she is eating my CPU and Memory!

Microsoft you really buggered that one up bad! I WILL use my Firefox or Chrome browsers and I WILL use my Google search engine and I WILL use my paltry old fashioned explorer search in the very rare case I need to look for something on my computer. I WILL
    NOT USE THAT MONSTROSITY that you have tried to ram down my throat.

So, one last time, HOW DO I KILL THE WITCH?

ilpedrino, Oct 1, 2017
  3. Nkopp Win User
    How do I change my default search engine?

I prefer a search engine other than Bing. It doesn't appear that I can change it.

If I can change it, how do I do that? If I can't, why not?

Nkopp, Oct 1, 2017
  4. Clintlgm Win User

search engine worthless or how do i use it

*.jpg should show you where all the "Picures.jpg" are located!! if they are another extension just use that extension like *.gif, *.png etc. etc.
    Now then I have found it lots safer to copy files to the new location the delete the ones from the old location just incase something goes wrong.
    You should have all your data backed up so just restore to the new location
    If you don't have them backed up, you now know why you should have.

if you need more help you'll have to give us more information how you were trying to move them from where to where, copy paste or just highlighted and dragged and dropped if drag and drop look in folder close to the folder you intended to drop them in? if you deleted them by mistake look for them in your Recycle Bin.

Clintlgm, Oct 1, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello James, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

In addition, double check to make sure that you have the location you moved them to included in the index.

*Arrow Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

It may take a while before the index automatically updates itself to include the changes you made to your files. However, you can manually rebuild the index as needed to force it to update.

*Arrow Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Brink, Oct 1, 2017
  6. i was attempting to drag them from one place to the other and since i had just uploaded them to the computer i was trying to put them on my other .hard drive i dont know what you mean by back them up but i sure wish i had too. one thing for sure is the windows 10 search bar is worthless to find anything or i dont know how to make it work right my last operating system could find stuff this one cant even find stuff right on my desk top

james dupre, Oct 1, 2017
  7. the directions to change the search wont work because im not getting a icon to change them in control panel

james dupre, Oct 1, 2017
  8. search engine worthless or how do i use it

i dont know how to open the control panel in icons view where is that option

james dupre, Oct 1, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 1, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    If you find configuring Windows search complicated then try one of the popular free 3rd party tools that finds things on all your internal disks and partitions instantly (find as you type). (See below). These are much easier to use.

First considering Windows search, and why you may not be finding things:
    Note:
    1. Cortana search of files and folders is basically limited to what is indexed by Windows search - and by design will not find any executable file or dll.
    2. If you open file explorer, there is a search field there.
    This is more flexible, and will find indexed and non-indexed items below the point in the file hierarchy at which you have the window open. However, if some folders are not indexed nd some are, search can still be painfully slow.
    3. If you move files or create files, the index is not updated until your PC is more or less idle.

A search syntax can be used:
    Advanced Query Syntax
    - but is hard to remember if only used occasionally.

Second: Some 3rd party tools: (free)
    Ultrasearch, Everything by void tools, Locate32 (which I have used for some years).

These index all file and folder names quickly, and update that index periodically.
    The search parameters are all GUI based, so you can readily select what you are looking for (unlike Cortana or file explorer search).

search engine worthless or how do i use it [​IMG]

dalchina, Oct 1, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    1 way - Cortana search:

Actually you need Indexing Options to configure Windows search:

Click that to see:

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

search engine worthless or how do i use it

1. search engine worthless or how do i use it - Similar Threads - search engine worthless

2. How do I change the search engine of the search bar to a different thing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the search engine of the search bar to a different thing: I use google as my browser, as I have been using it for a long time and feels normal. how do I make it so that the search boxpicture below opens the search in google chrome, or a different appI don't just mean change the default browser of edgeI am on windows 11...
  3. How do I change the search engine of the search bar to a different thing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the search engine of the search bar to a different thing: I use google as my browser, as I have been using it for a long time and feels normal. how do I make it so that the search boxpicture below opens the search in google chrome, or a different appI don't just mean change the default browser of edgeI am on windows 11...
  4. How to change search engine

in Cortana
    How to change search engine: Is there a way to assign Firefox to the windows web search bar yet?Seriously, this is a real pain in the a**. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-search-engine/dac846a5-c96f-41fb-83fb-01803672e334
  5. How do I change default search engine used by Search box to Google

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change default search engine used by Search box to Google: Although I have Google set as the default browser, whenever I type a search in the Search box at the bottom left, the search result is displayed as a Bing result. This seems to have become more of an issue after today's Windows update (15 August 2021). Now running Windows 10...
  6. How do I remove Yahoo, as search engine?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I remove Yahoo, as search engine?: Since i did a reinstall, yahoo has popped up, not by choice as my search engine and I want to remove it. I have trid recommendations and removed under settings but it reappears. . I use Window 10 Pro, with edge as browswer & all security and intelligence up to date. I...
  7. Why is there a search engine when I use taskbar??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is there a search engine when I use taskbar??: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/akira_fukuro [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jim7xm/why_is_there_a_search_engine_when_i_use_taskbar/
  8. How do I make Google my search engine?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I make Google my search engine?: Just got this new DELL tower. How do I make Google my search engine and open to Google? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-google-my-search-engine/03cd02ef-58cd-4f04-8bba-89aa41944ffe
  9. How do I search for dedicated folders and speedup the search engine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I search for dedicated folders and speedup the search engine: a) search for dedicated folders e.g. music folders using explorer. b)speed up the awful win 10 search engine so I do not have to look at an expanding ribbon for what seems ages. Thank you, I very much hope I will not be directed to starting windows with a clean boot and...
  10. How do I uninstall Bing search engine? It overrides GoogleChrome!!!

in Cortana
    How do I uninstall Bing search engine? It overrides GoogleChrome!!!: I need GoogleChrome to do business but since I updated to Windows 10 BING overrides every search engine but Edge I want BING to go away how do I uninstall it. Ive gone through every setting and cannot locate it. HELP!...